GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 09:54 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tereck
Hi guys im new on this forum but im having the same issue really low idle. Took the car couple times to toyota. They say is normal. I dont think so. Anyways today i was driving on highway and my engine. Vsc and vsc off came on. No response on my gas pedal. Anyways this happen on the past and for what i have readed here was the valve control motor. Replaced and cured the problem, and then couple months later a code. Was system too lean bank 1. I did several things to find out what it was. Didn't fix it. A friend told me to replace all the 02 sensors. Wich i only replace the bank 1 upstream and fix the lean condition. Im wondering if i have to replace the rest of 02 sensors to fix the low idle. Car has 202k. Help!!!!
With that kinda mileage on the engine components bro, it be safe to say you needa good tune up ALL AROUND. Not to scare you money wise lemme start by saying this, Welcome to CL!! ... Go to www.sewellparts.com and make an account to get OEM parts discounted.. After reading your diagnosis, I'd recommend getting all pre and post cat gaskets (before & after) and all 4 o2 sensors. That should seal any air leaks and raise your idle a bit more. It will DEFINITELY help your car considering the high milage. Well mid-life milage better said....... Any how I hope this helped.. Read read read read & read some more on this forum bro. You'll find PRICELESS info on these cars. Any questions, just ask. We're all here to help each other.
Old 01-20-14, 10:49 PM
tereck
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks i will try that a soonest i get some extra cash. And referring a good tune up??? What did u mean?
When the car had about 192k I got new plugs. New oil. Since then oil change every 3k a course. New pvc valve and grommet.new hoses (had couple air leaks) that's about it. ?????
Old 01-21-14, 06:05 AM
kevwats01
Driver

Changed my throttle body courtesy of my buddy @****-adkt throttle response is back to normal.
Now I'm gonna recheck all these sensor for their respective readings.
One thing I did notice is that the car was normal when cold start but once normal operating temp was reached it started acting up.
I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 01-21-14, 10:17 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Well thanks i will try that a soonest i get some extra cash. And referring a good tune up??? What did u mean?
When the car had about 192k I got new plugs. New oil. Since then oil change every 3k a course. New pvc valve and grommet.new hoses (had couple air leaks) that's about it. ?????
That's a very good start bro. Yeah just inspect the car thoroughly. Make sure there's no leaks of any sort. Once you confirm that, everything else is basically maintenance. Great job on the oil changes. I too change mine every 3-5k. New air filter, gas filter(OEM), fluid flush(brakes, power steering, radiator, tranny), etc. Those things will help keep your car in tip top condition if it's already running good. Keep it running more healthy. But the o2 sensors and exhaust gaskets will definitely help the car out and reduce gas consumption slightly. Post pics up of your bad boy man!
Old 01-21-14, 10:19 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kevwats01
Changed my throttle body courtesy of my buddy @****-adkt throttle response is back to normal.
Now I'm gonna recheck all these sensor for their respective readings.
One thing I did notice is that the car was normal when cold start but once normal operating temp was reached it started acting up.
I'll keep you guys posted...
I hope everything works out bro. Keep us posted. Stay POSITIVELY optimistic and everything will work out in your favor. I'm sure of it.
Old 01-21-14, 04:35 PM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by aneidiaz

That's a very good start bro. Yeah just inspect the car thoroughly. Make sure there's no leaks of any sort. Once you confirm that, everything else is basically maintenance. Great job on the oil changes. I too change mine every 3-5k. New air filter, gas filter(OEM), fluid flush(brakes, power steering, radiator, tranny), etc. Those things will help keep your car in tip top condition if it's already running good. Keep it running more healthy. But the o2 sensors and exhaust gaskets will definitely help the car out and reduce gas consumption slightly. Post pics up of your bad boy man!
I will do the gaskest on cats an 02 sensors and see what happens I keep posted and this is my idle today . A question wheres gas filter and how to replace??

Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140121_163453.png

Last edited by tereck; 01-21-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 04:36 PM
tereck
Driver

I will do the gaskest on cats an 02 sensors and see what happens I keep posted and this is my idle today
Ans this is my baby

Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140121_163550.png
Old 01-21-14, 05:18 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I will do the gaskest on cats an 02 sensors and see what happens I keep posted and this is my idle today . A question wheres gas filter and how to replace??

Attachment 312662
That IDK bro. Should be threads on this. Just look it up. I'll try. If I find it, I'll post the link for you. BTW, your car is looking nice my bro!! I like the wheels on it. And for sure that gasket and o2 tune up, it'll raise your idle. It did for me. Also when I changed my battery that helped as well. But I do not know the condition of the rest of your car. So you have to thoroughly inspect everything on your car. Search every possible idle related thread for the 2GS. Maybe MAF sensor and throttle body cleaning, etc. Many things you can do to improve that bro.
Old 01-21-14, 05:25 PM
tereck
Driver

That IDK bro. Should be threads on this. Just look it up. I'll try. If I find it, I'll post the link for you. BTW, your car is looking nice my bro!! I like the wheels on it. And for sure that gasket and o2 tune up, it'll raise your idle. It did for me. Also when I changed my battery that helped as well. But I do not know the condition of the rest of your car. So you have to thoroughly inspect everything on your car. Search every possible idle related thread for the 2GS. Maybe MAF sensor and throttle body cleaning, etc. Many things you can do to improve that bro.
Fo sure need a new battery as mine is getting weak. I have clean the maf and at toyota they tested and I replace the gasket for the Maf cause it leak there . cleaned the throttle body as well Got a tps sensor new as well. I adjusted btw
Old 01-21-14, 05:37 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Fo sure need a new battery as mine is getting weak. I have clean the maf and at toyota they tested and I replace the gasket for the Maf cause it leak there . cleaned the throttle body as well Got a tps sensor new as well. I adjusted btw
When you get a new battery, if there's a Sears nearby you, I'd recommend Die Hard Platinum. It's $200 but it has 4 years FULL REPLACEMENT. And very high CCA. For the cold weather you know.
Old 01-21-14, 05:58 PM
tereck
Driver

When you get a new battery, if there's a Sears nearby you, I'd recommend Die Hard Platinum. It's $200 but it has 4 years FULL REPLACEMENT. And very high CCA. For the cold weather you know.
No there's not a sears. They close it last december. Anyways I will buy a lesschwab battery the nicest one they got . I think its a 1000 ca and cca it's 850 I think. It cost about 125!
Old 01-22-14, 08:03 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

No there's not a sears. They close it last december. Anyways I will buy a lesschwab battery the nicest one they got . I think its a 1000 ca and cca it's 850 I think. It cost about 125!
Can't go wrong with that bro!! The higher three CCA the better it is in the cold. Try to settle for a good warranty. That's vital.
Old 01-22-14, 01:53 PM
tereck
Driver

Can't go wrong with that bro!! The higher three CCA the better it is in the cold. Try to settle for a good warranty. That's vital.
Yeah I think it has 5 year warranty. So just order the gaskets and I order the bank 2 passengers side o2 sensor. Im gonna wait for downstreams down the road.
Post pict of ur car as well
Old 01-22-14, 05:31 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I think it has 5 year warranty. So just order the gaskets and I order the bank 2 passengers side o2 sensor. Im gonna wait for downstreams down the road.
Post pict of ur car as well
You should change all 4 bro. That's my advice. But hey, it's your car. The gaskets will definitely do justice too. You'll feel the difference. And here's a pic of my badboy

Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140122_202658.png

Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140122_203005.png

The first pic was taken last year. And the second was taken the first summer I had it almost 2 years ago. Still looks the same. Nothing external changed. Just internal things to do with the engine. Plan on taking it to get my cross drilled rotors and MOOG inner + outer tie rods & lower ball joints soon. Plus an alignment. Maybe timing belt service in the summer as I'm approaching 100k. Plus a few lil things like screws around the fender I need to get then I'll feel complete. I can move on to my next investment :-).
Old 01-22-14, 11:47 PM
tereck
Driver

You should change all 4 bro. That's my advice. But hey, it's your car. The gaskets will definitely do justice too. You'll feel the difference. And here's a pic of my badboy

The first pic was taken last year. And the second was taken the first summer I had it almost 2 years ago. Still looks the same. Nothing external changed. Just internal things to do with the engine. Plan on taking it to get my cross drilled rotors and MOOG inner + outer tie rods & lower ball joints soon. Plus an alignment. Maybe timing belt service in the summer as I'm approaching 100k. Plus a few lil things like screws around the fender I need to get then I'll feel complete. I can move on to my next investment :-).
Thanks for the advice . I will replace all 4 eventually. but the 2 downstream maybe next month. In mean time my bank 2 o2 sensor and gaskets are on their way
Like ur car man all stock. Well mine has some modifications done. Overwide fenders. Cross drilled rotors. Sound system. Alarm with remote starter. Trd upper stabilizer bar. Cold air intake. Aftermarket led taillights. The front aftermarket headlights u saw on picture are gone. Take them off and put stock ones. Didn't like the other ones. They look great but re not as bright at night and really hard to adjust. Cheap quality lol. Here more picts
Attached Thumbnails Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140122_234630.png   Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)-forumrunner_20140122_234707.png  

Last edited by tereck; 01-22-14 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Very low Idle (1999 Lexus Gs400)