GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

bad creaking from inside wheel: parts replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-13, 08:00 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bad creaking from inside wheel: parts replaced

So I just got my ball joints done, motor mounts, tie rods, and an alignment done, whenever I lightly push down or rock my car very lightly up and down I hear a horrible loud creaking noise, we took off the wheel and inspected the plate behind the wheel(passenger side only) tightened everything down again, and can't find anything? I Also had my sway bar links replaced 90 days ago with Moog and they already look rusted like a b#$... Did the other mechanic I went to maybe take me? Why would they be rusted already? What else should I check and could it be the sway bar links?

Thanks for any input guys I appreciate it...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 04-12-13 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 08:23 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did replace your #2 control arm with poly bushings? Sometimes those will creak. If it didn't creak before, double check all the parts that were installed. Did you install poly sway bushings with your new links?

With Moog, sometimes they don't paint or coat their parts and they get surface rust. Just hit them with some quick spray paint to keep them from rusting more.
Old 04-12-13, 08:27 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Did replace your #2 control arm with poly bushings? s those will creak. If it didn't creak before, double check all the parts that were installed. Did you install poly sway bushings with your new links?

With Moog, sometimes they don't paint or coat their parts and they get surface rust. Just hit them with some quick spray paint to keep them from rusting more.
No I didn't replace the #2 arm, bushings look very good, it never creaked before i got these parts installed.. I'm stumped
Old 04-12-13, 08:28 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recenlty replaced my caster arm bushings with poly units and they creak like crazy. Just do like pdxgs said and lube them up along with your ball joints.
Old 04-12-13, 08:36 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZTurbo
I recenlty replaced my caster arm bushings with poly units and they creak like crazy. Just do like pdxgs said and lube them up along with your ball joints.

Ball joints are lubed and greased, I'll do the caster arm....
Old 04-12-13, 08:45 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try jacking up the car and then manipulating the suspension by hand to reproduce the creaking. You said it doesn't take much pressure to get it to creak, being under the car will help better pinpoint where it's coming from.
Old 04-12-13, 08:51 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pdxgs
Try jacking up the car and then manipulating the suspension by hand to reproduce the creaking. You said it doesn't take much pressure to get it to creak, being under the car will help better pinpoint where it's coming from.
We tried, it won't creak when not under load...
Old 04-12-13, 09:15 AM
Hollywoood
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did u buy ur ball joints, motor mounts, tie rods, & sway bar links?
Old 04-12-13, 09:20 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

All eBay except sway bars from Rock Auto....BTW if u haven't done your motor mounts I HIGHLY recommend it, its so quiet in the cabin at red lights I have to look down to make sure I didn't stall its that quiet.

Last edited by DosyBoy; 04-12-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-12-13, 10:37 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

The fact that it creaks when you rock it is good news in terms of diagnosing it.

Get the front end up on ramps and have someone rock the car up and down as you listen. Isolating the location should be trivial.

I'm chasing a problem from my passenger front where I get a creak when I just barely apply the brakes. Unfortunately it's harder to diagnose because it only makes the sound out on the road.
Old 04-12-13, 10:41 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
The fact that it creaks when you rock it is good news in terms of diagnosing it.

Get the front end up on ramps and have someone rock the car up and down as you listen. Isolating the location should be trivial.

I'm chasing a problem from my passenger front where I get a creak when I just barely apply the brakes. Unfortunately it's harder to diagnose because it only makes the sound out on the road.
Alright I just WD 40'd the caster arm bushing and the sway bar links, and the creaking is 90% gone, but I'm still getting a metal clunk noise as if that back plate is rubbing on something but its in the clear, still stumped as for that...
Old 04-12-13, 12:49 PM
VWTim
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace the UCA's? Identical noise to my '00, it was an upper balljoint creaking.
Old 04-12-13, 01:29 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VWTim
Did you replace the UCA's? Identical noise to my '00, it was an upper balljoint creaking.
Nope never replaced em..... Its def behind the wheel, I'm thinking its the brake hardware....

Last edited by DosyBoy; 04-12-13 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 05:35 PM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had same problem and it was ball joint in upper control arm (noise was only when wheels where straight )
Old 04-12-13, 06:06 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Thank u to pdxgs and azturbo, the noise is completely gone after lubing them up...

Quick Reply: bad creaking from inside wheel: parts replaced