GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 01:56 PM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bolts fine. Thats the alloy threads in it, they just flicked out. I'll either tap it or just get a new one. Think it was already half buggered anyway, didn't even get it tight enough to compress the spring with a 1/4"
Old 11-06-16, 04:51 PM
TallGoose
Rookie

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Washed it

Old 11-08-16, 04:59 AM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Put a new set of wheels on her
old

New
Old 11-08-16, 01:40 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perry05g35
Put a new set of wheels on her
old

New
Nice!!!.. hey are those Wilwood brakes you running? How are those? and what's the specs on those.... I was thinking of running Wilwood front and rear on my 2GS as well, but they don't "officially" have a BBK for 2GS.
Old 11-09-16, 08:48 AM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maverick77
Nice!!!.. hey are those Wilwood brakes you running? How are those? and what's the specs on those.... I was thinking of running Wilwood front and rear on my 2GS as well, but they don't "officially" have a BBK for 2GS.
Yes they are Wilwood front and rear BBK I have had them about 4 years now. I believe they are the same kit as the Supra/SC series. The calipers are great but the rotors aren't as robust I'm about to replace them after 4 years of use and about 10K miles of driving.

Last edited by perry05g35; 11-09-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:22 AM
Noosik
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So today, changed oil for Liqui Moly 5W40 6L at 359 000km, and one front brake pad need new clips.
and yesterday changed to winter tires nokia hakka 8
Old 11-10-16, 01:21 PM
TimberJon
Rookie

Default Stuff done

Lots of things long time in coming. Culmination of last three weeks.
> Had some minor / rusty body damage from previous owner fixed by body shop.
> Replaced tires, nitro fill
> Replaced carrier bushings in rear (one was clankin)
> Basic brake job
> Slapped in some silverstars for mains and fogs. Contemplating the new Morimoto LED kits..... anyone tried these? https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...led-bulbs.html
> Custom painted spoiler set for roof and trunk. Ebay seller made a custom listing for me so the spoiler style matched.
> Basic tint until I save up for some Huper.
> Replaced water pump. YEA. Fun. Belts, hoses,
> In doing the above, found out the fem threads in the block where the timing belt tensioner is bolted in were mostly stripped and someone previously used a helicoil on it. Not liking heli coils for that critical a part and not wanting to drill/tap in my block... ever... I opted for THIS STUFF. Put some on the threads and waited 30 min, then stuffed a decent amount in the hole along the walls and threaded the sucker home. As I suspected.. it twisted in on the few threads still left and then resisted at about 10 ft lbs? Enough to convince me. Let it set for a day with the front in the sun and its rock solid.
> Audio overhaul
  • Upgraded audio. Pioneer 6.5" components and 12" sub, AVIC 8100 NEX and upgraded to 8200 firmware. CARPLAY! And movies in motion.
  • Added 4ch amp for speaks.
  • Mono amp for 12" sub in sealed box.
  • Got me a set of those custom milled adapters.
  • Hole-sawed rear doors for tweets.
  • Can't find a place to put the GPS antenna... cable doesn't reach rear deck. Anyone found a good spot? I'd love to know...
LAST NIGHT
> Put a bag of ice in my cooler. Added a little water to make a light slurry. Added mortons ice cream rock salt. Stirred. Put 12-pack of Old Rasputin in there along with half dozen bottles of water. Covered with more ice. Water first. Then got to work.
> Replaced fuel filter. NOT simple.
> 2-part fuel system treatment.
> All new NGK platinum laser plugs. (originals were still in there >_< )
> Plus wires and coil pack plugs.
> Cleaned the VVTI oil mesh screen deal.
> Replaced the VVTI solenoid.
> Replaced OE PCV valve.
> Checked for vacuum leaks.
> Cleaned the spark plug valleys.
> Cleaned valve covers.
> New valve cover gaskets. Everything hinged on this, since I knew the head gasket was good but there was some oil leaking from valve covers. Someone just made RTV seals before and I prefer to avoid mickey mousing on my car.

Took my time but some 14 hours later plus goofing off... shes purring like a kitten and I can feel maybe 20-30 HP restored? I dunno it feels like it.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GS today?-img_9266.jpg   What did you do to your GS today?-img_8542.jpg   What did you do to your GS today?-img_9265.jpg   What did you do to your GS today?-img_9264.jpg  

Last edited by TimberJon; 11-11-16 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-11-16, 07:56 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Changed my caster arm bushings with PSB bushings. Started about 9am, procrastinated a bit and ended up finishing at 6pm. Forgot about the DIY here which would have helped me finished faster. It was a PITA! Never want to do this again Lol.

I must say this is one of the best fixes I have done to my glGS. The difference was huge. Feels like a new car now.steering shake is gone, much more stable, brake shudder is gone, loose feeling when hitting a bump or pot hole is gone.
Old 11-11-16, 08:00 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Changed my caster arm bushings with PSB bushings. Started about 9am, procrastinated a bit and ended up finishing at 6pm. Forgot about the DIY here which would have helped me finished faster. It was a PITA! Never want to do this again Lol.

I must say this is one of the best fixes I have done to my glGS. The difference was huge. Feels like a new car now.steering shake is gone, much more stable, brake shudder is gone, loose feeling when hitting a bump or pot hole is gone.
I just did mine last week along with new serialnine fuca,coilovers,lower ball joints,rear serialnine toe arms and new front wheel bearings and rotors... haha
Old 11-11-16, 08:02 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
I just did mine last week along with new serialnine fuca,coilovers,lower ball joints,rear toe arms and new front wheel bearings and rotors... haha
wow I can just imagine how much better yours must feel Lol. I changed 2 tires on the back last week and now I have a vibration. So my front wheel vibrations is gone but now I have vibrations around the back ...sigh I love my GS Lol.
Old 11-11-16, 09:12 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
wow I can just imagine how much better yours must feel Lol. I changed 2 tires on the back last week and now I have a vibration. So my front wheel vibrations is gone but now I have vibrations around the back ...sigh I love my GS Lol.
Well my alignment was changing cause of those factory bushings being destroyed, along with my suspension turning into dust(yes actually fell into pieces/dust) when i took it apart. My front tires are cupped so it gives me some vibrations from the front right tire, i also gotta drill holes for the UCA cause it's hitting(even though i dont feel i'm that low).
Old 11-12-16, 11:35 AM
929rider
Driver

Just washed her up
2001 430. Just turn 46000 miles.
Old 11-13-16, 08:29 AM
bilgen
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

damn, nice^
Old 11-13-16, 11:35 AM
mate01
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn only 46K? Unreal.
Old 11-13-16, 11:43 AM
Sportsfan2
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

changed out the front suspension coils on the coilovers to 13kg, Swift brand units...I always find Swift springs are firmer but not harsher...must be the type of steel and process of making them......much better front end now, not bouncing around with the previous 11kg, unknown brand coils
Originally Posted by Sportsfan2
lol, attaboy....well, my sideskirts are hitting now lol, lower than my front lip, as seen here and i am not "slammed", i tend to like the suspension where it is, so stiffer front coilover springs are next lol

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?