GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 04:13 PM
BCHDAZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
And in post #486 is a cracked set of forged Volk Racing GT-N's.

All wheels crack.
those are ce28-n's.... could also be rota DPT's though.

Last edited by BCHDAZ; 02-18-13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 04:29 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
Taken in context I'd assume they are Volks. Regardless, the point is the same. I had GT-N's on a car 10 years ago and thought I recognized the design. It is quite similar.
Old 02-19-13, 12:00 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

VIP and knockoff don't belong in the same sentence.
Old 02-19-13, 12:44 AM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
yes, replica Works Meisters FTL

btw isnt Varrstoen known to crack?
Lord have mercy so now people are going to think my ssr sp1 professors are knockoffs now i'm going to have to find some new rims. Why do these company do stuff like this.
Old 02-19-13, 01:57 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

its true, all wheels crack, bend, etc. but WORK does have a reputation for building some darn durable wheels compared to some of the other brands out there.

Of course a lot of factors play into the damage of a wheel, tire pressure, tire size, speed, usage (track, daily, etc.), temperature, the list can go on and on.

Some people can't spend 3-4k for some wheels (me included, rolling about on stocks for now). Let them be. If anything we are just making your wheels more rare n prestigious.
Old 02-19-13, 07:05 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

One thing I've noticed is that "wheels" are classified among such consumables as "brake pads" and "tires". They actually tend to go with less expensive brands like Enkei, Kosei and the like. Some of them even run Rotas.
rota's are 100% the worst wheels to track your car on..... they will/do crack on the track. plenty of info online about them. hit up google (i posted a few pics on the bottom)

Originally Posted by BCHDAZ
lol

Taken in context I'd assume they are Volks. Regardless, the point is the same.
not even the same.....if they are volks and broken its rare and probably a isolated incident, if they are indeed a Rota replica this further proves my point
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!-rota5.jpg   Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!-rota6.jpg   Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!-rota7.jpg  

Last edited by sakataj; 02-19-13 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-19-13, 07:20 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

I've seen all those pictures a million times. And all I can say is for every Rota wheel that's been broken on the race track, there's at least one more expensive non-knockoff wheel that's been broken

I am open to other opinions. Just know that mine isn't based on internet replica wheel hating and google image searches but rather based on actually tracking cars and knowing people who track hard for many years.

Look...I can search Google images, too!

VOLK:

ADVAN:

SSR:

ON ROTAS:
Old 02-19-13, 08:20 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Look...I can search Google images, too!

i was gonna post that TE but i decided i would let u do it for me......not even talking about the advans or the SSR's,notice the Volk rim even as bad fubared as it is, didnt break? notice it just bent...........thats much better quality casting!

also wow, ONE company (yes im sure there are more) has a race car with rota's i can show you a million that dont! you can always find one one cheap company who races with cheap parts, doesnt mean they know best
Old 02-19-13, 10:21 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

i was gonna post that TE but i decided i would let u do it for me......not even talking about the advans or the SSR's,notice the Volk rim even as bad fubared as it is, didnt break? notice it just bent...........thats much better quality casting!

also wow, ONE company (yes im sure there are more) has a race car with rota's i can show you a million that dont! you can always find one one cheap company who races with cheap parts, doesnt mean they know best
I respect your opinion and I'm not trying to say that Rota wheels are as good as Volks or SSR's or even Enkei's higher-end line. But I am saying that the "they break more easily" argument isn't really super valid because it's rare for ANY wheel to break on the street outside of an accident scenario or blatant misuse, and when you're on the track you should just expect your wheels to break - regardless of their brand or cost.

In recent years I've owned/tracked 3 sets of Rotas (Slipstreams, K7's, Grid Offroad), 1 set of 949 Racing 6UL (designed specifically for track use) and 1 set of 3-piece SSR/Watanabe RS-8's.

The only set that ever bent was the SSR/Watanabe - the most expensive and "highest quality" by far - and that was on the street hitting a rather extreme transition from street to a small bridge over a creek on a farm road. They also happen to have the beefiest tire setup of all. They didn't bend dramatically to the point of needing repair immediately. But they got visible bends in the lips of at least 2 of them.

Also don't delude yourself into thinking only "cheap" race teams use Rotas.
Fortune Auto's Time Attack Evo is on Rota Torques.
GST Motorsports GC8 makes 500whp and wins time attacks on Rotas.
Turn in Concepts Time Attack STi wins on Rota DPT's.
AFI Turbo S2000. Driftworks 700+whp 2JZ-GTE S15.
Team Falken drifters have won championships on Rotas.
I can probably find a dozen more on Google. Hell...just do a search for "Rota" on speedhunters and you'll find tons of reputable race cars on Rotas.

Of course there are tons of race teams that do not use Rotas. That's because there are tons of other wheels available and people are allowed to choose other wheels. But the fact remains that Rotas are a good choice - for anyone - street or track. Durability is not the issue and, in my opinion, shouldn't be a part of the deciding factor.
Old 02-19-13, 10:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I respect your opinion and I'm not trying to say that Rota wheels are as good as Volks or SSR's or even Enkei's higher-end line. But I am saying that the "they break more easily" argument isn't really super valid because it's rare for ANY wheel to break on the street outside of an accident scenario or blatant misuse, and when you're on the track you should just expect your wheels to break - regardless of their brand or cost.

In recent years I've owned/tracked 3 sets of Rotas (Slipstreams, K7's, Grid Offroad), 1 set of 949 Racing 6UL (designed specifically for track use) and 1 set of 3-piece SSR/Watanabe RS-8's.

The only set that ever bent was the SSR/Watanabe - the most expensive and "highest quality" by far - and that was on the street hitting a rather extreme transition from street to a small bridge over a creek on a farm road. They also happen to have the beefiest tire setup of all. They didn't bend dramatically to the point of needing repair immediately. But they got visible bends in the lips of at least 2 of them.

Also don't delude yourself into thinking only "cheap" race teams use Rotas.
Fortune Auto's Time Attack Evo is on Rota Torques.
GST Motorsports GC8 makes 500whp and wins time attacks on Rotas.
Turn in Concepts Time Attack STi wins on Rota DPT's.
AFI Turbo S2000. Driftworks 700+whp 2JZ-GTE S15.
Team Falken drifters have won championships on Rotas.
I can probably find a dozen more on Google. Hell...just do a search for "Rota" on speedhunters and you'll find tons of reputable race cars on Rotas.

Of course there are tons of race teams that do not use Rotas. That's because there are tons of other wheels available and people are allowed to choose other wheels. But the fact remains that Rotas are a good choice - for anyone - street or track. Durability is not the issue and, in my opinion, shouldn't be a part of the deciding factor.
i wouldnt ever say Rota's are a good choice for anyone. if i had nothing better to do i would link you to the over 10,000 race teams who dont use Rota, i mean that list means NOTHING. i told you, you will always find some race team willing to use cheap parts.....that doesnt mean they are right or wrong just that some will do it.

you wont win this argument with me....i do not EVER support "stealing" people's parts to make a cheaper/crappier replica
Old 02-19-13, 11:50 AM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

thanks for the schooling guys
Old 02-19-13, 12:08 PM
403IS300
Driver

Who cares if Rota can make a wheel that will handle some track abuse? Stop stealing away the whole point of a KNOCKOFF wheel argument. They steal the ideas from companies who put tens of thousands of dollars and thousands of hours into the design of a wheel to create something unique, then they copy it, mass produce it, sell it cheaper and undercut the companies doing all the R&D. Oh, and for a ****tier product. Put a Rota D2 up against a 3 Piece Meister. Please.
Old 02-19-13, 12:12 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

i wouldnt ever say Rota's are a good choice for anyone. if i had nothing better to do i would link you to the over 10,000 race teams who dont use Rota, i mean that list means NOTHING. i told you, you will always find some race team willing to use cheap parts.....that doesnt mean they are right or wrong just that some will do it.

you wont win this argument with me....i do not EVER support "stealing" people's parts to make a cheaper/crappier replica
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to "win" anything. You're allowed to think Rotas are awful for whatever reason you want to. I'm just saying if you try to found your argument on "durability" I think you're wrong. Towards the end of your post above you get more to a true issue here...whether or not you support a company that mimics other companies' designs. That is a legitimate consideration and, I believe, worth shunning Rota for if you don't like knockoffs.

That said, there is nothing new under the sun and even the major brands knock off designs.

O.Z. Racing Vs. Racing Hart

Centerline vs SSR MK1

Work Euroline vs SSR Vienna

And since I'm on a roll...what wheel is Varrstoen really knocking off? The Work Meister S1 or the SSR Professor SP1?

Even OEM's are doing it....

...or....

So if "copying" is your reason for avoiding a brand, be prepared to boycott Work, SSR, Enkei, BBS and many more, in addition to Varrstoen, Rota, XXR and the like. My argument here is not to say that Rota doesn't copy. Of course they do. But it's just worth considering the fact that the "big" names do, too.

(I realize there are very subtle differences in the comparisons above. Just as there are subtle differences between Rota and the wheels they are similar to.)

Originally Posted by blacksedan
thanks for the schooling guys
Glad you're finding it valuable.
Old 02-19-13, 12:18 PM
pmlexus
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I am absolutly pumped for these to come out, I have always wanted a set of the real ones just couldnt afford them. I dont care if they are fake I wouldnt run around saying they are real. Yes I would love to be able to drop 3-4k on a real set but it wouldnt make good business sense, for me.

We all build out cars for our selves and real or fake we are all copying something that has already been done. Besides those that can afford the real ones buy the real ones. The rest of us who can afford the fakes get the fakes.
Old 02-19-13, 12:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to "win" anything. You're allowed to think Rotas are awful for whatever reason you want to. I'm just saying if you try to found your argument on "durability" I think you're wrong. Towards the end of your post above you get more to a true issue here...whether or not you support a company that mimics other companies' designs. That is a legitimate consideration and, I believe, worth shunning Rota for if you don't like knockoffs.
thanks for allowing me to think whatever i want, im glad you let me
let me put it in a simpler term.... i will never,never,never support people "stealing" people's designs.for example, the ebay TTE lip is shameful to me, they helped ruin the need for TTE in america. the rota killed the REAL SW88 back in the day.

you go start a company and produce a quality part.....have a prosperous few years, i will come by in a couple years and make a inferior part designed exactly after your product for a 3rd of the price and ruin you and see how happy you are after that.

Quick Reply: Anybody else as excited as i am for the varrstoen es6's to come out!?!?!