GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?

Old 01-03-13, 05:46 PM
sinstrex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?

Long Story Short.

Started Modifying my car. Got some Coilovers, installed them myself. Headers on, custom made chrome exhaust and the car looked amazing. Oh well, driving nice, slow and low on one of our busiest highways and a Van rear ends me. The impact was so crazy that my car slid and hit the car in front.

Since I installed the coilovers a night before the crash, I would not have any pictures of it lowered but here are some before and after pictures.

and after

Now the flat/matte/satin black you see was a wrap. Even if i fix that again, the colour would not match and i have to do the wrap again. So I'm thinking of painting the car. A beautiful colour that i have in mind right now is the 'Black Diamond' found on the Cadillac CTS-V

Or any other colours you guys have in mind?
Attached Thumbnails REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img09492.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img09471x.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img09461e.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img15251.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img15211r.jpg  

REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img15221.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-img15241.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-dsc_2942.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-dsc_2904.jpg   REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-2012_cadillac_cts-v_wagon_black_diamond_10.jpg  

Old 01-03-13, 06:47 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that might look to be totaled...
Old 01-03-13, 06:58 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I was thinking the same.
Old 01-03-13, 07:50 PM
Nater1
Rookie

if its done the same way here, then if the damage cost is higher than your blue book its considered totaled
Old 01-03-13, 08:01 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

looks like a total lost to me.

and you posted the same pics twice
Old 01-03-13, 08:03 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Only repair the vehicle if you really love the vehicle. Other wise, part it out, and get a new GS430!
Old 01-03-13, 09:54 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repairable? Yes. Worth it? Probably not.

Get the van driver's insurance company to buy you another GS. There is no way that yours will ever be as good as it was before the accident without ridiculous time and effort.
Old 01-03-13, 10:33 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang u were on a roll with the mods... Time to upgrade bro
Old 01-04-13, 02:27 AM
sinstrex
Driver

Originally Posted by CptCrunch
that might look to be totaled...
Originally Posted by Sevenevez
^ I was thinking the same.
Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Repairable? Yes. Worth it? Probably not.

Get the van driver's insurance company to buy you another GS. There is no way that yours will ever be as good as it was before the accident without ridiculous time and effort.
It is not totaled. The repair cost for all of this in Dubai is just $2700. While the cost of the vehicle according to the blue book is $11,000. Its just bodily damage. Thankfully none of the suspension parts were hit and i would have no issues with the alignment. Rest assured the car is at a reputable garage which is taking 2 months to fix all of this so in the end it should be worth it. I would spend months to fight a case with the insurance company to total my car, why not just get it repaired and drive it until it dies.
To give you guys an idea of how cheap are car parts in Dubai. A brand new OEM HID headlight assembly (green) costs $158. How much was tht on sewell lexus? I think around $500.

Parts from a scrapyard? even cheaper. A trunk in excellent shape would cost you $14 and I am not even kidding because a friend of mine bought it day before yesterday. Yes you got it right. All your totalled cars come down to dubai. If the damage is not much, they are repaired and sold. If its a lot the car is parted out and sold.

Something like this:
Attached Thumbnails REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?-car-photo-2009-lexus-is350-chopped-cut-half.jpg  
Old 01-04-13, 04:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^Wow! Parts are def cheap there sinstrex. I'm going to send you a PM to see if you can help me out with an item that I always wanted for my GS.
Old 01-04-13, 07:59 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats crazy how cheap the parts are.

That black on the Caddy is pretty sweet, the flake pops like a **** in the sun. I keep seeing a new Z06 vette around my area with a real nice gun metal color with black wheels, it looks pretty bad ***.
Old 01-04-13, 08:11 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ho. Ly. Crap.

Yeah...here in the 'States that would be totalled. A $14 trunk? 2 months in a body shop plus parts for only $2,700?

Hell. If parts and labor were that cheap here in the US there would be a lot more work for people who do body repair. My GS was rear-ended and it wasn't even 1/2 as bad as yours. It cost $3,500 to repair. My rear quarters weren't even bent. It was just a trunk, tail lights and rear body panel replacement.
Old 01-04-13, 09:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

even if the parts are so cheap how could that possibly not be totalled, labor alone has got to be more than the $2700 your quoting? the WHOLE left rear quarter would have to be cut out and reskinned which isnt a cheap or quick fix? i wouldnt be surprised if it had rear frame damage either. new trunk, new rear bumper,new crashbar,new taillights,emblems,exhaust,new wiring, and then hours and hours of labor
Old 01-04-13, 10:17 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Seriously, my ES was just bumped this summer, and after paint, new tail, rebar, paint on bumper & quarters was over 3,000$

A job like this in Canada would never happen as the labor times would bring this well into the 6k mark. But Dubai seems to be cheap for parts so I assume that labor at shops is just as cheap too?

But, get the Cadillac color, or any of their higher end car colors are ALWAYS nice. My buddy has a DTS in white with the three stage pearl and it pops in the sun, this would be the same, but even better since its black so you don't expect the crazy pearl to come out! Very nice color choice!
Old 01-04-13, 10:29 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its defiantly fixable.

If only parts where as cheap here in America.

I keep forgetting cars get exported all the time after being wrecked. They are considered scrap = in a different country they can take two cars and make one car and profit.

A friend of mine had a conversation with me about exporting wrecked Mercedes to Cambodia using his brothers shipping containers. Containers comes in with goods then needs to leave with goods = Profit

Would be nice to be the guy to purchase the wrecked Mercedes at auctions.
Either sit at a desk with a computer or live auctions in person spending someone elses money while you make a really nice wage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REAR ENDED! Opinions on New Paint?