GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sigh.. car just started rumbling now cel and VSC on VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 08:34 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sigh.. car just started rumbling now cel and VSC on VSC off

Car was perfectly fine yesterday, just started rumbling like it wanted to stall but I didn't and my fluids look good, cel just came on two seconds ago and my VSC on an off buttons, it's idling perfect, maybe the snow through something off, don't make sense..
Old 12-31-12, 09:25 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you notice nothing wrong with the car, then the CEL triggered from either a pothole; ( ) or an o2 sensor. Lexus eat's them like candy, like you probably know...
Old 12-31-12, 09:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If you notice nothing wrong with the car, then the CEL triggered from either a pothole; ( ) or an o2 sensor. Lexus eat's them like candy, like you probably know...
I've never had to replace one, how much do they go for? Car shifts normal with plenty of power but when I come to a stop, it rumbles, now the cel is blinking, parked it in the driveway and got out and it smelled like straight ***....
Old 12-31-12, 10:50 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it smells then check your cats. People say it smells like rotten eggs when they go out.
Old 12-31-12, 11:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
If it smells then check your cats. People say it smells like rotten eggs when they go out.
Yea that's what it resembles, but I read a bad cat won't set off a cel? It's looking like an o2 sensor I think..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 12-31-12 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 08:42 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

What also will smell vulgar is a clogged/plugged/whatever you would call it Charcoal Canister. It smells foul when it need's cleaning. BUT, o2's are just maint. I would replace those just to say you did. o2 sensors run around 80-90 bucks each. Your choice. Cat's would be the last thing to replace just because they're a pain to replace...Happy new year BTW...

Last edited by SC400slide; 01-01-13 at 08:44 AM. Reason: edited text
Old 01-01-13, 09:47 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

I'd search also Flocko before you replace. There was a thread that Sakataj posted in I believe where he found all 4 02 sensors for like 30-40 a pop? If you can find that thread you'll save some money.
Old 01-01-13, 09:53 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

I'd search also Flocko before you replace. There was a thread that Sakataj posted in I believe where he found all 4 02 sensors for like 30-40 a pop? If you can find that thread you'll save some money.
They were around 85 bucks @ AutoZone. That's were I got them. If Flocko can find 30-40 buck o2's, he should be good
Old 01-01-13, 11:31 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you buy any parts without knowing what the problem is? Did I miss something, or have you not had the cel codes checked?
Old 01-01-13, 11:35 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
Why would you buy any parts without knowing what the problem is? Did I miss something, or have you not had the cel codes checked?
I believe where this thread was going was that he SHOULD replace the 02's just as maint.
Old 01-01-13, 12:28 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

It's going to the mechanic tomorrow morning, thanks guys ill keep u posted.. Happy new year!
Old 01-01-13, 06:05 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Don't you have a K&N air intake?
Old 01-01-13, 06:23 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Don't you have a K&N air intake?
Yea I do... I reset the ecu and just started it, no cel lights or VSC on or Off lights, it's not bogging or rumbling anymore, maybe some moisture was in the gas?
Old 01-02-13, 12:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Car was perfectly fine yesterday, just started rumbling like it wanted to stall but I didn't and my fluids look good, cel just came on two seconds ago and my VSC on an off buttons, it's idling perfect, maybe the snow through something off, don't make sense..
i seriously wish u or anyone wouldn't be allowed to make new threads without searching. i mean u just said yourself it JUST happened....so go do some leg work for some similar instances in our history (or run the codes) instead of logging into CL and making a new post 3 seconds after having a issue.

now after my rant,here is my honest suggestion: get the code run and SEARCH for those codes when you get a CEL, keep in mind since this code has cleared you can still check the code as our cars store CEL history

why would u replace them without knowing what the issue is? who throws away $ like that?

What also will smell vulgar is a clogged/plugged/whatever you would call it Charcoal Canister. It smells foul when it need's cleaning. BUT, o2's are just maint. I would replace those just to say you did. o2 sensors run around 80-90 bucks each. Your choice. Cat's would be the last thing to replace just because they're a pain to replace...Happy new year BTW...
bad O2's DONT cause the VSC ON/OFF lights to come on....so again why would you spend $90 x4 (since their are 4 O2 sensors) without knowing what the issue is?

by his symptons Daniel i would be leaning more towards this being a OCV's issue or even and wouldn't be surprised if his CEL history shows codes P1346, P1349, or P1656 to be in there

OP i would look over this thread as it sounds eerily similar to a old issue i had, i did a very extensive and informative post in post # 67 for the V8 guys since this thread was originally designed for the I6 guys

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ve-filter.html

but honestly were all guessing without knowing the codes (which again you can still check and see what they were)

Last edited by sakataj; 01-02-13 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 05:53 AM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj

by his symptons Daniel i would be leaning more towards this being a OCV's issue or even and wouldn't be surprised if his CEL history shows codes P1346, P1349, or P1656 to be in there

OP i would look over this thread as it sounds eerily similar to a old issue i had, i did a very extensive and informative post in post # 67 for the V8 guys since this thread was originally designed for the I6 guys

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ve-filter.html

but honestly were all guessing without knowing the codes (which again you can still check and see what they were)
i was about to say the same thing. i the exact same symtoms when my gs had a bad ocv. it would drive fine for about 20 mins and after that when you come to a stop it feels like it wants to die but wouldnt. didnt have any loss of power or any missfire while driving but it would idle like ****.

OP i would take sakataj's suggestion and get your code read instead of pissing away money. if this is the problem then its only a $100-$150 sensor and a 10min fix doing it yourself.

Quick Reply: Sigh.. car just started rumbling now cel and VSC on VSC off