GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sigh.. car just started rumbling now cel and VSC on VSC off

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 06:58 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys I appreciate it, I'll come back when the issue is solved..
Old 01-02-13, 08:22 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I suspected the o2 sensors because when the CEL goes on, then off, or blinks, the o2 would most likely be the culprit
Anyway, whatever triggered the CEL was/is small. I wouldn't worry about it too much. GL

Last edited by SC400slide; 01-02-13 at 08:23 AM. Reason: :D
Old 01-02-13, 08:41 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I suspected the o2 sensors because when the CEL goes on, then off, or blinks, the o2 would most likely be the culprit
Anyway, whatever triggered the CEL was/is small. I wouldn't worry about it too much. GL
I hope not, I'm def nervous all the time when I take it to the shop because of my 2 bad lifters, valve adjustment and timing belt bill from the dealer when I first got the car...
Old 01-02-13, 12:49 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Thanks guys I appreciate it, I'll come back when the issue is solved..
how bout you check the CEL codes....cause the mechanic is gonna just throw parts at it based on what alldata tells him it probably is.

actually CEL's goes on/off wouldn't signify anything in particular as it easily could be a exhaust leak. i have 4 new O2's and my CEL comes and goes as i have a exhaust leak Pre-Cat on bank 2 that doesn't wanna close no matter what i do to it and will probably end up with a new flange soon

a blinking CEL is 100% not a O2, a blinking light is a sign of a severe misfire which the O2 doesnt cause.

how do you know what caused it is a small concern, cause the light went off....? i dont know why people always wanna diagnose/offer advise without knowing the info, im not trying to harp at you but the simple fact is without having the CEL codes we are all guessing and it seems like OP is more inclined to drop off car at the shop then actually checking this himself and saving the $.which leads me to wonder, why even make this thread if your not gonna try and fix it yourself.....i mean seriously why make this post then immediately drop it off at a shop without attempting any of the solutions people suggestion only to then complain about a previous repair from a shop
Old 01-02-13, 01:08 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

I said that because it is exactly what happened to my brothers car (GS300). CEL blinking, not literally, but on/off intermittently, and the bank 1 o2's fixed the problem-(o2 sensors). Just stating from experience, and I know for a fact, that is if Flocko is correct in that if his car isn't idling rough or sputtering ect...it isn't something major. It has to be something minor...something so minor I myself wouldn't make a big deal about it...but that's just me.
Old 01-02-13, 01:25 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
...and it seems like OP is more inclined to drop off car at the shop then actually checking this himself and saving the $.which leads me to wonder, why even make this thread if your not gonna try and fix it yourself.....i mean seriously why make this post then immediately drop it off at a shop without attempting any of the solutions people suggestion only to then complain about a previous repair from a shop
Perhaps he was hoping this condition was super common and he could easily be pointed to a unplugged sensor or broken hose. Upon reading the suggestions he determined the job was beyond his capabilities, time frame for repair, and/or comfort level and made the decision to have a professional with the necessary diagnostic tools and expertise diagnose and repair the issue.

He made the call that made the most sense to him. There is no need for anyone to judge him for making this decision.
Old 01-02-13, 01:35 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I said that because it is exactly what happened to my brothers car (GS300). CEL blinking, not literally, but on/off intermittently, and the bank 1 o2's fixed the problem-(o2 sensors). Just stating from experience, and I know for a fact, that is if Flocko is correct in that if his car isn't idling rough or sputtering ect...it isn't something major. It has to be something minor...something so minor I myself wouldn't make a big deal about it...but that's just me.
the bolded portion below isnt normal at all, i have plenty of hands on experience with my gs. i have done 98% of all the labor myself so im familiar (thanks to the help of club lexus) with many issues the GS and i would never just throw parts without looking into what is causing the issue. a lot of the codes that refer to the O2 sensors can be as simple as a dry rotted or even a exhaust leak that's why im arguing before you replace the sensors its a good idea to look into the cause of the problems

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Car was perfectly fine yesterday, just started rumbling like it wanted to stall but I didn't and my fluids look good, cel just came on two seconds ago and my VSC on an off buttons, it's idling perfect, maybe the snow through something off, don't make sense..
this has me thinking though...its idling perfect but its rumbling like it wants to stall? how is that possible?
Old 01-02-13, 01:38 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

this has me thinking though...its idling perfect but its rumbling like it wants to stall? how is that possible?
that is interesting...
Old 01-02-13, 02:32 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad O2's DONT cause the VSC ON/OFF lights to come on....so again why would you spend $90 x4 (since their are 4 O2 sensors) without knowing what the issue is?
Actually - yes they do. At least, on my 2003 Sport Design it did. My CEL and VSC lights were on for a good 6 months with a bad Bank 2 #2 O2 sensor. I finally fixed it ($60 universal Bosch O2 sensor from AutoZone) and it fixed the issue. I was just assuming that any emissions-related code would trigger your dash to light up like a christmas tree.

That said - a bad O2 sensor is not likely to cause the engine to stumble and rumble at idle. Well, maybe the postion 1 sensors might. The position 2 sensors are simply there to verify that the Catalysts are working properly and they won't affect performance at all.

I noticed that contradiction, too. Odd. Again - not symptoms of a bad O2 sensor. I'm curious to see the final verdict.
Old 01-02-13, 05:04 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

UIt's at the shop now and ill know more tomorrow, Sakataj, I though maybe it could of been a common issue or fix, go harp on someone else, yes I did take it to the shop immediately, I don't work on my GS when it comes to maintenance like this I don't play around in my driveway, my mechanic is very trusted, my Gs is my daily I really don't have time to play around, I work everyday and need my car, ill report back tomorrow when I find out more, hopefully it's something small and I don't have to drive it off a cliff, when it first happened the other day I didn't notice the idling, but today it was defenitely jumping...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 01-02-13 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 05:42 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Sakataj, I though maybe it could of been a common issue or fix, go harp on someone else,
He was just trying to help you...
when it first happened the other day I didn't notice the idling, but today it was defenitely jumping...
Okay, so it isn't idling nicely. The jumping idle could be as simple as a loose vacuum hose, or a TPS that got messed with. As long as your mechanic is a trusted mechanic, you should be good.

On a side note...a story when my Dad trusted a "trusted" mechanic: We had a 2001 Chevy Express 15 pass van that was a problematic vehicle from the day it left the factory. Then, something in the engine was messed up, CEL triggered as it never didn't do. Took it to the shop and told them to fix it. They said OK. The next day, Dad get's a call from the shop. The shop owner said, "One of my mechanics put the rod bearings on backwards and made the engine throw a rod all the way through the motor, and he cracked the cap." They still wanted the $1700 for the "fix" they had made and finally settled to ask no money from us, and my Dad would take the van with no motor, and the shop would lose 1700 bucks. Buncha losers. Just a story of warning...it could happen. The motor had 92,000 miles, and the vehicle went from being worth 8k, to 2k.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-13, 10:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Actually - yes they do. At least, on my 2003 Sport Design it did. My CEL and VSC lights were on for a good 6 months with a bad Bank 2 #2 O2 sensor. I finally fixed it ($60 universal Bosch O2 sensor from AutoZone) and it fixed the issue. I was just assuming that any emissions-related code would trigger your dash to light up like a christmas tree.
ACTUALLY NO they do not....if u have a SRS OBII scanner check your history, you had another issue going on. CEL lights DO NOT cause the VSC light to turn on. i have had a bank 2 sensor 2 code intermittently for about 8 months (all documented on here) without having a VSC light on once for this issue

He was just trying to help you...
i WAS but im not anymore, i will leave JAWNPAWN/FLOCKGS4 on his own from this day forward

btw it could easily be a simple fix but its hard to know without knowing the CEL code or codes, good luck with the fix

Last edited by sakataj; 01-02-13 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-02-13, 10:55 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACTUALLY NO they do not....if u have a SRS OBII scanner check your history, you had another issue going on. CEL lights DO NOT cause the VSC light to turn on. i have had a bank 2 sensor 2 code intermittently for about 8 months
I do have an OBD-II scanner. The only code it reported was for the bad sensor. No pending codes. All I replaced was the O2 sensor and all of the codes - and lights on the dash - went away.
Old 01-02-13, 11:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
I do have an OBD-II scanner. The only code it reported was for the bad sensor. No pending codes. All I replaced was the O2 sensor and all of the codes - and lights on the dash - went away.
i said a SRS OBII scanner not just a regular OBII scanner most scanners individuals own WILL not do SRS, most SRS scanners cost upwards of $1,000 and typically only belong at a shop.....as i said i have 8 months of documented proof of having a bank 2 sensor 2 code with NO VSC light on
Old 01-03-13, 07:19 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Alright guys just talked to the garage they ran the code it's coming up oil control valve, their gonna get the part and hopefully it will be done today....

Quick Reply: Sigh.. car just started rumbling now cel and VSC on VSC off