GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Recommendations for HID kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 08:24 AM
raychen323
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for HID kits

Bought a used 2002 lexus gs300 from a friend. Do not like the fact that I can barely see at night and looking to hid's. Can anyone recommend affordable hid kits for both low and high beams.

Also I do not know much about electrical but is there trade offs for converting to HID's on an older model.

Are there modifications to the electrical that need to be made?
Old 09-21-12, 08:32 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all plug and play, very simple. no modifications need to be made
cmara2k9
Pole Position

DDM Tuning has decent hid kits and there cheap...I would check it out....i've got a kit from there and ive had no probems with it
Sykotic336
Driver

check out retrofitsource.com top quaility products at a very affordable price
Old 09-21-12, 09:49 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

checked both recommended sites. Nothing points directly to our car. I have a 1999. Are these one size fits all deals?
Old 09-21-12, 10:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

although this GB is over, try this vendor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-or-size.html/

or try the lighting sub section of our forum
Old 09-21-12, 10:09 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

our cars (if your car is halogen) takes 9006 bulbs

a lot of people dont like running (or wont like you running) hids in a halogen headlight because of the design of the bowl and the glare you'll shine off to other people

Last edited by 1sWt2GS; 09-21-12 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 12:15 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
although this GB is over, try this vendor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-or-size.html/

or try the lighting sub section of our forum
I see suspension and brakes and performance sub forms...am i missing something? Im new sorry!
Old 09-21-12, 12:16 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
our cars (if your car is halogen) takes d2s bulbs

a lot of people dont like running (or wont like you running) hids in a halogen headlight because of the design of the bowl and the glare you'll shine off to other people
So I'm guessing most people buy the projector headlights before they install HIDs? IS this glare terrible??? The stock lights are terrible and buying new headlights would be a stretch right now due to funds.....but something has to be done with theses mickey mouse stock lights asap.
Old 09-21-12, 01:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoegum
So I'm guessing most people buy the projector headlights before they install HIDs? IS this glare terrible??? The stock lights are terrible and buying new headlights would be a stretch right now due to funds.....but something has to be done with theses mickey mouse stock lights asap.
Go here and familiarize yourself with a few days worth of learning, and then you'll be better able to make your own opinions on this very touchy subject.

http://www.hidplanet.com

Then you'll be much more informed to when asking for help when you have sizing questions or about which projectors retrofit easier/cheaper into the GS specifically..
Old 09-21-12, 01:53 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

great site thanks!
Old 09-21-12, 01:59 PM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Been cruising ebay for projector headlights. I find it annoying most of them have halo lights. If I wanted halo lights I would of bought a BMW...
Old 09-21-12, 02:11 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UGLYGS
It's all plug and play, very simple. no modifications need to be made
Generic HID kits are so cheap and reliable nowadays you can buy them practically anywhere w/out much of a hitch.

I bought a generic chinese 6k low beam kit and 3k fog kit on ebay for super cheap over 4 years ago and they still work flawlessly and haven't dimmed at all. Just do a quick seller feedback review. (knock on wood)
Old 09-21-12, 06:39 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Generic HID kits are so cheap and reliable nowadays you can buy them practically anywhere w/out much of a hitch.

I bought a generic chinese 6k low beam kit and 3k fog kit on ebay for super cheap over 4 years ago and they still work flawlessly and haven't dimmed at all. Just do a quick seller feedback review. (knock on wood)
The only down side to buying the "extremely cheap" HID's aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. Only negatives i've noticed with cheap brands are, bulbs burning out more "often", also sometimes they change color over time, and most companys/stores won't replace defectives. But for the price it's hard to beat.

For non-hid headlights the bulb size is 9006, Their are many different colors from blue, white, purple and many colors in between. Just keep in mind local law enforcement love to harass people with HIDs but have slowly started to realize their becoming more and more common
Old 09-21-12, 07:43 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UGLYGS
The only down side to buying the "extremely cheap" HID's aren't nearly as bad as they used to be. Only negatives i've noticed with cheap brands are, bulbs burning out more "often", also sometimes they change color over time, and most companys/stores won't replace defectives. But for the price it's hard to beat.

For non-hid headlights the bulb size is 9006, Their are many different colors from blue, white, purple and many colors in between. Just keep in mind local law enforcement love to harass people with HIDs but have slowly started to realize their becoming more and more common
didnt have a problem with my DDM 6k low, 3k fogs, in socal when i had mine

what would they tell u anyways? i just say it's stock and ill re-aim them lower and didn't realize they were that bright.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for HID kits