GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

If your car says something about you what do they say?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-12, 02:03 PM
drewthere
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNH
I don't think the car says anything about the person.
Maybe for some people it does, but it doesn't for me. The reason I feel that way is because I love so many styles of vehicles; sports cars, luxury cars, SUV's, 4x4 trucks, muscle cars, etc.

I currently own 7 vehicles, and they are all radically different from each other. One day a person might assume I am a redneck (driving a lifted old school dodge 4x4) and another day I might be gay (driving a miata).
I do notice people act differently towards me depending on what I am driving.

I am also a wholesale dealer, so I drive my inventory that changes frequently. I might be in a Toyota Corolla one day, or a Mercedes CLS the next.

I agree that they shouldn't but everyone has perceptions and first impressions. Most of us have a choice when buying a car and we choose certain cars to "fit" our lifestyle.

Minivan- you automatically assume kids
Jeep Wrangler- an active/ outdoorsy person

You get the idea... Our car is kind of in the middle. It's an old luxury sedan but it doesn't say much about us until we start modding it. Once we lower it and put wheels on, its when people see something different.

I think location also matters a lot... to those of you who answered that your are rich or that you are a gangster...
Old 08-16-12, 06:49 PM
bjohn
Driver

Ha, where I'm from people assume I'm manufacturing bath salts in my shed.
Old 08-16-12, 07:41 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The local drug dealers in their Lexus's look at mine and then see me and go, "Oh, just an old white dude in a suit." So, I guess my car says "Old white guy in a suit who bought the wrong car."
(No, I bought the right car, I can't help it if dope fiends have good taste!)
Old 08-16-12, 07:43 PM
bjohn
Driver

Originally Posted by Arcadian
The local drug dealers in their Lexus's look at mine and then see me and go, "Oh, just an old white dude in a suit." So, I guess my car says "Old white guy in a suit who bought the wrong car."
(No, I bought the right car, I can't help it if dope fiends have good taste!)
haha^

Why are these stereotypically drug dealer cars? Random friends of mine have even mentioned it, and in all honestly I just don't "get it"....
Old 08-16-12, 08:42 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

timeless and tastefully done,
Old 08-17-12, 01:58 AM
sgvGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by BBRolex
I got pulled over one time and they asked to search my car for drugs... And because me and my partner had a suit on that day (parter is all tatted up), they assumed we was high rolled gangsters transferring money... They had 5cops cars on us that day.. What a shame...

same thing happened to me. rookie assumed I had drugs in the car because of the car I drove. fck the LAPD
Old 08-18-12, 01:30 AM
joeyfett
Rookie

A lot of people get impressed when they see my GS for some reason. I'm guessing they are seldom seen down here and the nearest Lexus dealership is 4 hours north. All you see in south Texas are Corvettes, trucks and BMWs
Old 08-18-12, 07:47 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

I love you too ...thats what she would says to me. Know I say she, because she is a jealous lover. My GF happened to driver her once on a road trip after complaining that I love my car more than her. Well, my car responsed my crushing her laptop with the driver seat and then she got a ticket, 91 in a 70 all in the space of 1hr.
Old 08-18-12, 05:53 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bjohn
haha^

Why are these stereotypically drug dealer cars? Random friends of mine have even mentioned it, and in all honestly I just don't "get it"....
Because our cars look gangsta comin down the road, but luxury and somewhat sporty at the sametime, it's a unique combination.
Old 08-19-12, 09:35 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNH
I have had two people in the last two weeks ask me what my car cost, and both of them thought I paid $40-50k. They also thought the car was only a couple years old, they were shocked when I told them it was a 1999.
I get the same thing as well. Ppl think that my parents bought the car for me. (I'm 22) but i bought it myself. A lot of them think It like an '05 or above. Funny thing is I wrecked my old one and I'm getting another one for a really good deal. but my GS had ppl really confused. Especially when I started my car and u heard the exhuast. Uneducated ppl think that Lexus doesn't make fast sport vehicles. So when they hear me coming they expect a muscle car, then I drive by and their eyes get that "wtf, that's a Lexus!!!"
Old 08-19-12, 09:38 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeyfett
A lot of people get impressed when they see my GS for some reason. I'm guessing they are seldom seen down here and the nearest Lexus dealership is 4 hours north. All you see in south Texas are Corvettes, trucks and BMWs
U can say that again. TONS of corvettes. That's y I wud never get one.
Old 08-19-12, 12:04 PM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

according to the cops that keep pulling me over, "i am drug dealer, rather than attempt to sell drugs to the large market and drive around in an stupid expensive mercedes, i like to keep small time, and drive a lexus..."

according to my friends, the gold on gold flake means automotive service advisor by day, pimp by night.

accord to close friends, i got a thing for japanese and blonde/gold = cogals =/

according to my parents, "good for you, now u can fit child seats back there, when are we getting grand kids?"

go figure.
Old 09-22-12, 08:15 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bumping this cause it's an interesting thread.

As for myself. Drug dealer. Back when I was slammed on my old wheels I was still 19, so everyone definitely thought I was in some sort of weight movin'. I can't wait to see what everyone says when I pull out on my Scaras next month, lol.
Old 09-22-12, 08:17 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Bumping this cause it's an interesting thread.

As for myself. Drug dealer. Back when I was slammed on my old wheels I was still 19, so everyone definitely thought I was in some sort of weight movin'. I can't wait to see what everyone says when I pull out on my Scaras next month, lol.
upgrading from weed to meth?

As for myself, someone thought today that my car was worth like 4x its amount at a gas station. Thought apparently I had a really good job.

Old 09-22-12, 08:21 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
upgrading from weed to meth?

As for myself, someone thought today that my car was worth like 4x its amount at a gas station. Thought apparently I had a really good job.

Shhhhh keep it under wraps.

I get that a lot too. Mines a 98, but a lot of people think it's like an 05 and as for people who DON'T know GS' and all the generations i've even gotten '07/'08, lol.. But that's a rarity. I recently detailed my whole car with BF Compound/Polish/Sealant so the paint is a lot more pure and white than it was before. Makes the car look a lot newer.

Quick Reply: If your car says something about you what do they say?