GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

01 gs430 Nothing but problems with my car! Radio went out today to add to the list!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 07:31 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 gs430 Nothing but problems with my car! Radio went out today to add to the list!

I got into my car this morning to warm it up and everything was working ok. I drove about 3 blocks then the radio cut out. I turned it off, then on again and it came back on for about 10 seconds before cutting out again. I tried to turn the car on and off as well as turn the radio on and off a few more times and nothing. I changed the mode to AM and it works fine. Could the problem be the radio it self? Has anyone heard or had this problem before? I've searched the board and couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

I bought this car about 5 weeks ago thinking it was going to be a fun build since I've been out of the car game for a few years. When I test drove the car, everything was fine and didn't have the issues it has now. Here is a small break down of the issues that began to surface.

1st Week
3 door actuators stopped working.

2nd Week
Climate control mode servo stopped working.

3rd Week
Transmission started to jerk shifting into 3rd while driving normally. Very very light throttle and heavy throttle shifts smooth.

A few small other problems surfaced as well, but I'll possibly save it for another post. It was my mistake not to carfax the car before buying it. I just found out yesterday after I finally ran a Carfax that the mileage was turned back to 87k from around 135k (assuming the car was driven normally after the last recorded mileage of 119k during April last year.

Sorry for the complaining, I really don't know what to do anymore at this point. Should I scrap this car somehow or fix the issues? The car does run smooth and the motor feels great. I do like the car, but hate the issues. I've always loved the 2gs body style, and this is my first one.
Old 07-26-12, 07:34 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

First and foremost, how much did you pay for the car?
Old 07-26-12, 07:43 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

$7300 after negotiating
Old 07-26-12, 07:47 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to complain about the car when you are missing almost 50k miles of history. Sounds like you have to take it on the chin and if you keep it, fix whatever comes up along the way. Blame yourself (as you are) for not doing due diligence and then blame the former owner(s) for being crappy.

First two issues should be expected. Things do start to wear down after 11 years and 100k miles. As for issue 3, get someone in there and take a look around.

Don't get discouraged, may cost you a lil bit to get your confidence level up regarding the condition but afterwards, it will treat you just as nicely as you treat it.
Old 07-26-12, 07:49 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

All of those problems can be fixed with DIY's on this site. The tranny probably just needs a few drain and fills.
Old 07-26-12, 07:56 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Hard to complain about the car when you are missing almost 50k miles of history. Sounds like you have to take it on the chin and if you keep it, fix whatever comes up along the way. Blame yourself (as you are) for not doing due diligence and then blame the former owner(s) for being crappy.

First two issues should be expected. Things do start to wear down after 11 years and 100k miles. As for issue 3, get someone in there and take a look around.

Don't get discouraged, may cost you a lil bit to get your confidence level up regarding the condition but afterwards, it will treat you just as nicely as you treat it.

Thanks, yesterday after I found out about the mileage, I was very discouraged. I guess after having the radio go out today, I simply wanted to give up on it and possibly invest in something better.
Old 07-26-12, 07:59 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
All of those problems can be fixed with DIY's on this site. The tranny probably just needs a few drain and fills.

I hope that helps with the tranny, thats my biggest issue with the car right now. I just want it to be in great shape before modding.
Old 07-26-12, 08:01 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Understandable, as ThomasGS4 stated, the issues you quoted are relatively minor so I wouldn't suggest giving up based on those alone. But no real way of telling what other problems are hidden unless you invest some time (if you are a car guy and can make diagnoses yourself) or money to have someone do it for you.

Anything else show up on the Carfax that stand out? multiple owners, accidents, etc?
Old 07-26-12, 08:23 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

Understandable, as ThomasGS4 stated, the issues you quoted are relatively minor so I wouldn't suggest giving up based on those alone. But no real way of telling what other problems are hidden unless you invest some time (if you are a car guy and can make diagnoses yourself) or money to have someone do it for you.

Anything else show up on the Carfax that stand out? multiple owners, accidents, etc?
5 previous owners, and 1 accident (left front). Before the previous owner, the car seemed to be dealer maintained.
Old 07-26-12, 08:34 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

See if you can get an explanation from the previous owner on the roll back. He screwed you on the deal by not disclosing it (I would tell him so) so the least he can do is give you an honest answer so you can know what you're dealing with in terms of potential headaches.

Do a search on here in regards to what the 90k service entails (water pump, timing belt, etc) and check to see if it was done. If you're going to keep it, that would be one of the first things to get done.
Old 07-26-12, 08:50 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

See if you can get an explanation from the previous owner on the roll back. He screwed you on the deal by not disclosing it (I would tell him so) so the least he can do is give you an honest answer so you can know what you're dealing with in terms of potential headaches.

Do a search on here in regards to what the 90k service entails (water pump, timing belt, etc) and check to see if it was done. If you're going to keep it, that would be one of the first things to get done.
I just saw you're from Queens, would you happen to know Gee?
Old 07-26-12, 09:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GShalfPst4
I just saw you're from Queens, would you happen to know Gee?
If he's a member of NELOC, then we've probably met. Click on the link, tons of local help there if you need it as well.

I haven't been that active lately so if he's new, then I may not know him.
Old 07-26-12, 09:50 AM
GShalfPst4
Driver School Candidate

If he's a member of NELOC, then we've probably met. Click on the link, tons of local help there if you need it as well.

I haven't been that active lately so if he's new, then I may not know him.
Thanks for all the info/help, much appreciated!
Old 07-26-12, 03:13 PM
fire88
Driver School Candidate

makes me scared to buy one now
Old 07-26-12, 04:43 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Originally Posted by fire88
makes me scared to buy one now
Just do your due diligence. Carfax at the very least. 5 owners and a accident would have counted this one out for me.

Quick Reply: 01 gs430 Nothing but problems with my car! Radio went out today to add to the list!