GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

electric cutouts????

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 11:27 PM
merlin911
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question electric cutouts????

so a little while ago i learned about electric cutout valves and for those of you who dont know what they are, they are basically flange pipes with a flap that opens and closes with the push of a button, which then goes onto your exhaust before the resonators and just after the cats. basically when you want the car normal and quiet the valve is closed and exhaust goes through the mufflers and resonators and all that. when you want the car loud, open the valve and exhaust goes out the flange.

i finally got around to buying one a while ago. when it arrived i got all excited and when i went to to put it on my car, the unit was too big and it wouldn't fit because it would either hit on the side of the underbody and stick out to much to the point where if i went over a bump it would be sheared off, or would have to be installed where the mufflers were. both of which would have been pointless.

My question is, do any of you guys have them on your car, does it work well, and how much modifying, if any do you have to do to get them in (besides cutting the pipes and welding it in place)? btw i have a stock exhaust except for resonator delete and new race mufflers.

these are the cutouts i bought

http://www.racelandus.com/exhaust-sy...st-system.html
Old 06-24-12, 03:14 AM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's been done before, i remember there being a thread on this. I can see where the ones you purchased would be an issue just because the seem a lot larger than others i've seen. Look into the brand DMH, they make low profile cutouts.
Old 06-24-12, 09:48 AM
cruisinvip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had it on mine, scraped on everything on stock height, then it would only open with the remote but not close, then it was just too broken and it wouldnt do anything at all. so car drove me nuts. If anything, try mounting them as far back as you can or your dash will rattle, but then again if you have your resonators its just pointless.
Old 06-24-12, 10:10 AM
merlin911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cruisinvip
Had it on mine, scraped on everything on stock height, then it would only open with the remote but not close, then it was just too broken and it wouldnt do anything at all. so car drove me nuts. If anything, try mounting them as far back as you can or your dash will rattle, but then again if you have your resonators its just pointless.
so the set you are referring to that scraped, were the raceland ones or the DMH low profile ones
Old 06-24-12, 10:57 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The preassembled pipes on the one you purchased makes it quite a large assembly, there isn't much room under the GS, the other styles out there that are just the cutout are better for tight spots.

There can be issues with the electric ones when mounted very close to the headers and the heat can kill the motors. Alot of muscle car guys that install them directly on the header collector op for the manual cable pull ones for this reason. But the further back you put in the system, they will see progressively less heat.

Jeff installed one long ago on a turbo GS, here is the youtube video:

Old 06-24-12, 12:56 PM
cruisinvip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin911
so the set you are referring to that scraped, were the raceland ones or the DMH low profile ones
raceland, worked perfect for my buddys gti but the belly of the gs is too narrow so didnt fit right.
Old 06-24-12, 09:15 PM
merlin911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
The preassembled pipes on the one you purchased makes it quite a large assembly, there isn't much room under the GS, the other styles out there that are just the cutout are better for tight spots.

There can be issues with the electric ones when mounted very close to the headers and the heat can kill the motors. Alot of muscle car guys that install them directly on the header collector op for the manual cable pull ones for this reason. But the further back you put in the system, they will see progressively less heat.

Jeff installed one long ago on a turbo GS, here is the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpLkszldCE

perfect thats exactly what i want thanks!!