GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Watch the video...valve slap or??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 09:31 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Watch the video...valve slap or??

So I've always had this weird ticking at around 2200 rpm but recently, I've noticed that the noise have got a little worse/louder over time. This noise can now be heard at idle and gets louder/faster as the rpm goes up. I threw a little Hyper-lube in it hoping it would change a little but no such luck. I was gonna guess rod knock but here's the funny thing; it doesn't do it all the time. At certain rpm's, usually under 2k, it will quiet down for a bit and I haven't noticed the sound when foot is off the gas pedal. Any opinions welocome at this point. Here's a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH-h7...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-30-12, 02:59 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhhh the famous pita stuck lifter/valve tap, i myself had this problem for 6 months until i was fed up and went to lexus, mine didnt sound half as bad as that, and lexus of pittsburgh fixed mine, i had 2 bad lifters and i needed a valve adjustment, 4 days later and over 16 hours of labor, they fixed it for $1,666.50. So glad my tick is gone, car runs like a champ, u may just need a valve adjustment, but yea i realized one thing, their is NO mechanic in a bottle, DO NOT keep putting stuff in your crankcase if u did, the fuel tank is fine...... Sorry bro its an expensive fix, every mechanic i went to said the same thing, its a lexus, no way am i touching it when its the engine.....

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-30-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 03:55 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would address that ASAP. Engine noises never just go away and that doesn't sound like something that can be cured with an adjustment.
Old 05-31-12, 08:37 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Update:

Ok, now I think its more than valves/lifters. This morning while driving the wife to work, on the highway, the noise became steady then there was a loss in power. I got scared and pulled to the side of the road and the car died at the stop. I open up the hood and visually inspect it to find the oil low again which was weird because i just topped it off yesterday. I've always had an oil leak problem but kept it monitored. I add a quart and it starts, but with a very loud knocking. I figure well, its going to need some major repairs now so might as well see how far it will get me. Somehow, I made it back home. It doesn't stall anymore but the very loud knocking is still there and now it seems like its louder from the bottom than the top of the vehicle and there's a noticable drop in power.
Old 05-31-12, 11:32 AM
SCORTIZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles are on the engine? I would honestly recommend that you buy a used low miles engine, I dont know how good you are turning wrenches but its a pretty simple engine swap in my opinion.
Old 05-31-12, 01:18 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oslouie
Update:

Ok, now I think its more than valves/lifters. This morning while driving the wife to work, on the highway, the noise became steady then there was a loss in power. I got scared and pulled to the side of the road and the car died at the stop. I open up the hood and visually inspect it to find the oil low again which was weird because i just topped it off yesterday. I've always had an oil leak problem but kept it monitored. I add a quart and it starts, but with a very loud knocking. I figure well, its going to need some major repairs now so might as well see how far it will get me. Somehow, I made it back home. It doesn't stall anymore but the very loud knocking is still there and now it seems like its louder from the bottom than the top of the vehicle and there's a noticable drop in power.
Yikes tha sounds bad man, its def not a valve adjustment issue, get it somewhere asap, at least your know what to tackle....Bad or clogged oil filter or bad oil pump would be my guess..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 05-31-12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-31-12, 02:34 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCORTIZ
How many miles are on the engine? I would honestly recommend that you buy a used low miles engine, I dont know how good you are turning wrenches but its a pretty simple engine swap in my opinion.
I had a few guys who knows something about cars listen to it and its definitely rod or crank so in short, its gonna need a new engine. This thing has 203k today but i thought these motors were bulletproof? I mean, I researched before buying it and supposedly the 2jz was rated pretty high up there as one of the best engines ever made and so I didn't hesitate when it already had 184k on the dash.

**anyone knows how much labor hours is involved with replacing the motor? I can get one for about $600 but I don't want the labor to kill me and I can't do a swap in the apartment parking lot.