GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2jzgte swap/ engine revs and throttle is disable till WOT

Old 04-27-12, 05:53 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzgte swap/ engine revs and throttle is disable till WOT

hey guys
I just completed a 2jzgte vvti swap on an 03 gs300 and ive been using the car for the passed three weeks. everything was good and car ran fine till a few days ago when i was leaving work. I started the car to go home and it just started reving by itself. when this happens the gas pedal is disabled. the vehicl does not respond till im at WOT thats when it starts to adapt to the gas pedal. anyways i shut it off and cycled the key and started it and it ran fine for the next few days till last night the problem came back. I pulled the codes and this is what I came up with
42 and 89 for the cel
61 for the ECT Power
31 for snow.
Non of these three lights stay on besides the abs light when the car is running norman, the code is just in the systen. the cel only stays on when the car starts to rev by itself.
last week I pulled the throttle and cleaned / reinstalled and things been good till now. this is after i started getting this problem. Ive double checked all the wirings over and over and everything is correct. I do know the power/ snow botten does not work when i turn it on for some reason. i wanna believe there is only one problem causing this. the only thing i can think of is the throttle body but im not sure. i dont wanna spend the $$ for nothing. this is a video of what im talking about. any help would be very appreciated. thanks.
Old 04-27-12, 06:08 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Throttle positioning sensor?

I don't know much about cars but first thing I thought of, it happened to a previous car of mine.
Old 04-27-12, 06:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Most likely you just need to recalibrate the TPS. What ecu are you running?
Old 04-27-12, 07:05 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

There's no code for the tps tho, and I'm running the ecu without the immobilizer. Stock everything. Speaking about the calibration tho, when I got the engine, the tps was damaged and I compared the part number with that of the stock tps off the 2jz ge vvti I had in here at first and it the exact part number so that's what I'm using right now. Unless im not supposed to?? And How do I calibrate it just to see if it fixes it if you know how to
Old 04-27-12, 08:30 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you upload some pictures of your swap? I see you have a 2003 and everyone says the 2001 and up cars are much harder? How much wiring was involved? Did you do the install yourself? You're on the stock twins?
Old 04-27-12, 08:56 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chin
Can you upload some pictures of your swap? I see you have a 2003 and everyone says the 2001 and up cars are much harder? How much wiring was involved? Did you do the install yourself? You're on the stock twins?
Follow this thread if you are not already subscribed to it. Lots of info and there's a few pics on there. Yes it is a lot of wiring and yes I did it myself. Stock everything besides the intercooler
Old 04-27-12, 08:59 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chin
Follow this thread if you are not already subscribed to it. Lots of info and there's a few pics on there. Yes it is a lot of wiring and yes I did it myself. Stock everything besides the intercooler
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558449
Old 04-28-12, 08:41 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If it's revving on it's own it almost has to be TPS related. It's either no good or not calibrated correctly.

Have you disassembled the throttle plate motor housing or anything else on the throttle body? Or is the TPS the only thing you took out?
Old 04-28-12, 08:56 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Here is a decent thread on the operation of the tps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ti-tester.html
Old 04-28-12, 09:06 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

The only time I messed with the throttle body was when I was doing my return line to make things easier I pulled it to get to the return hose, and I also install the gs tps because it's the same part number. I haven't bother with it till the car started reving by itself. I cleaned it and reinstalled it and it ran fine till now. Just to see if the tps was acting up,while it was reving I pulled the plug to see if the idle would drop but it didn't do anything. When it's reving by itself.. if i take off the tps and move the plate itself toward the front of the engine/ intercooler pipe the idle drops to Norman and when I let go it goes back up. I'll take another video and post it when I get home from work.
Old 04-28-12, 09:33 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

I'll try that and see if it helps man, thanks.
Old 04-28-12, 03:17 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

I read somewhere that GE and GTE TPS's operate in reverse of each other, but then again I've seen the part numbers seem to be the same. So I'm not 100% sure if they are interchangeable, but also thought I have seen a GE one used in a GTE when the GTE went bad.

Jeff might know for sure as he has put the GTE t-body on a NA-T GE before.
Old 04-28-12, 03:55 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
I read somewhere that GE and GTE TPS's operate in reverse of each other, but then again I've seen the part numbers seem to be the same. So I'm not 100% sure if they are interchangeable, but also thought I have seen a GE one used in a GTE when the GTE went bad.

Jeff might know for sure as he has put the GTE t-body on a NA-T GE before.
Jeff who? is he on here so that i can ask him for some info.. cuz it they have the same part numbers but works in a reverse pattern thats my problem right there. that would save me so much stress other than that Im happy with the swap!
Old 04-28-12, 07:39 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

first of all sorry about the video, idk why my photobucke uploads always present my videos like this
but take a look at this.
And this not because the TPS if disconnected or not installed. the car was running ( reving @ 3k as usual with the problem) i unpluged the tps and nothing was affected, took off the mounting screws and pulled the tps still nothing. the video was a little big so i wasnt able to upload the whole thing but right at the end when i was moving the throttle where the cable is hooked up and got no response... if i do that to the plate to the left of the TB where the tps is supposed to be mounted the vehicle rev according to the movement of the plate. you guys still think this is tps related?
Old 04-29-12, 03:34 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Okay fellas,
I've been working on getting my car to run right and after calibrating the tps, now its not revving anymore but the cel is on. Code 19/ accelerator pedal position sensor and of course the rest of the codes in my first post. I wanna say **** it and replace the Accelerator position sensor it may fix it cuz If you look at that last video, when I move the cable I got no response but if I move the plate itself, she revs fine. It's like the ECM is not getting that signal to operate the throttle motor you know.. Idk man, this **** is really stressful right now. What do you guys think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jzgte swap/ engine revs and throttle is disable till WOT