GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Door won't open after replacing door lock actuator motor

Old 03-09-12, 03:33 PM
ericwat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Door won't open after replacing door lock actuator motor

Ok, I really need some help. I replaced the door lock actuator motor, and everything seemed to be going well. After getting the motor replaced, I reinstalled the actuator in the door, and reconnected the outside door handle. I wanted to test before I replaced the door panel, so I closed the door to test. (In hindsight I should have tested with the door open.)

Now the door is stuck shut. It isn't shut all the way, but like one click in. I was unable to open it with the outside door handle or by pulling the inside door cable. It seems like the locks are working, as I can hear it lock, but for some reason the door won't open.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong and how I can get the door open? I'm really in a bind here and need some help.

Thanks,
Eric Watermolen
1999 GS400
Old 03-09-12, 03:40 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you connect both rods that go from the actuator to the exterior handle as well as the cable to the interior handle? You couldnt have if the doors does not open...
Old 03-09-12, 04:00 PM
ericwat
Driver School Candidate

Well I thought I had everything connected. One cable went in the little hole on the plastic lever on the actuator, and there was also a plastic piece that slipped over the little ball. But apparently something went wrong.

It might be with the little ball connection. Is that the piece that controls the physical locking of the door?

Also, does it matter that the door isn't shut all the way?
Old 03-09-12, 04:02 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you set up your connectors correctly?

It took me awhile to get it correctly

Last edited by abounly; 03-09-12 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 04:23 PM
ericwat
Driver School Candidate

I'll be able to know for sure if I can get the door open so I can pull the actuator back out. I'm thinking maybe the door is locked, like maybe I didn't get the little plastic tab for the locking mechanism back in the right place.

I can reach my hand in the door. If that plastic piece is not connect with the mechanical lock mechanism, is there a way for me to hit the mechanical bit by reaching inside the door?
Old 03-09-12, 04:36 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Lets hope your door was just locked and you hooked up your door handle thing correctly. I believe the lock is the silver rod push it down and it should unlock try opening the door?

If that doesn't work, i dont know what else you can do that can get your door open safely.

This is your last resort, you gotta airsaw your door open.
Old 03-09-12, 04:44 PM
ericwat
Driver School Candidate

I got it open!!! The door was locked. I managed to pull and wiggle enough stuff in there that it finally unlocked. I have the actuator back out now, and I'm going to try to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions, I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-09-12, 04:53 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Congratulations saved yourself from buying a new door.

I nearly cut off my hand trying to remove the actuators a few times.
Old 03-09-12, 05:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

There is a diy door lock actuator thread maybe it can be helpful
Old 03-09-12, 05:04 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a total of 4 connections. 2 of the ball and socket type that connect to the inner door handle area and 2 rods that connect the outer door handle to the actuator. Make sure you have all 4 connected.
Old 03-09-12, 05:11 PM
ericwat
Driver School Candidate

Now that I have the actuator out, I see what happened.

When I screwed the motor assembly to the backing plate, I didn't get the pointy plastic piece (which is attached to the inner door lock cable) into the slot. I was focused on the ball piece which is in front of the pointy piece and ended up not noticing that the pointy piece had to go in the slot.

To compound the problem, the pointy piece got in the way of the lock mechanism and made it very difficult to get it unlocked.
Old 03-27-14, 06:17 AM
ottismyman
Driver School Candidate

I have not been so lucky with wiggling things to get it unlocked. I have the door panel off. I can pull and see it move the lever that the outside doorhandle moves. I am still unable to open the door. The other cable doesn't do anything pushing or pulling. I think the it is locked and I can't use the cable to unlock.

Is there a way to remove the door to take the actuator back out? Is there a lever or some way to unlock the door with out the cable?
Old 03-06-17, 06:55 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone figure out how to get the door open?

I replaced my rear passenger actuator and it was working fine at first. The only problem I ran into was that it was locking harder than normal and was making a very loud sound when I locked it. I took it out once to try and figure out the problem, but couldn't so I put it back in. Fast forward 3 weeks and I noticed that the loud sound was gone and also noticed that the door was no longer unlocking or locking. The latch on the inside was not flipping to red/not red (lock/unlock). The door is now stuck closed and I have no idea how to get it open. I've thought about trying to pry the wood grain out to see if I could maybe access the cables, but I don't think I can get it out unless the whole door panel comes off first.

Edit: If I used a slim jim, I assume I would need to somehow grab the cable and yank it up to try to unlock the door? Or down? Or do I need to use it to push down on the lever where the handle is? I am not 100% familiar with the mechanics of the door, but I think the cable that locks/unlocks the door is the problem cable. I can pull on the door handle and it doesn't feel like it's giving me any problems.

Last edited by LexusK; 03-06-17 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 10:42 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Anyone figure out how to get the door open?

I replaced my rear passenger actuator and it was working fine at first. The only problem I ran into was that it was locking harder than normal and was making a very loud sound when I locked it. I took it out once to try and figure out the problem, but couldn't so I put it back in. Fast forward 3 weeks and I noticed that the loud sound was gone and also noticed that the door was no longer unlocking or locking. The latch on the inside was not flipping to red/not red (lock/unlock). The door is now stuck closed and I have no idea how to get it open. I've thought about trying to pry the wood grain out to see if I could maybe access the cables, but I don't think I can get it out unless the whole door panel comes off first.

Edit: If I used a slim jim, I assume I would need to somehow grab the cable and yank it up to try to unlock the door? Or down? Or do I need to use it to push down on the lever where the handle is? I am not 100% familiar with the mechanics of the door, but I think the cable that locks/unlocks the door is the problem cable. I can pull on the door handle and it doesn't feel like it's giving me any problems.
Your best bet is to just shatter the plastic around the inside door handle to get to the door lock cable and latch cables. Get the door open and replace that door panel after you fix the actuators. Part outs are all over the place so interior pieces aren't hard to find.
The following users liked this post:
LexusK (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 11:52 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Really hoping that I don't have to shatter anything, but if it comes to it, I guess I will have to.

I just want to think this through first and get an understanding of the door mechanisms. So right now, I can still manually push the inside lock into it's lock position (that little button thing with the red sticker on it), but I cannot push it into the unlock position (with red side showing). This must mean that the cable is stuck and cannot move, correct? There were two cables back there, so I am assuming it's the top black one? I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong since it was working okay after I replaced the motor. I don't think the ***** on the ends of the two cables popped out, cause then that would mean that the handle and lock buttons would move freely right?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Door won't open after replacing door lock actuator motor