GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some advice - new job includes more travel

Old 02-28-12, 08:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Put it in the garage and use it on weekends, no way in hell I would commute that much with it, that's a lot of miles, that car will triple its lifespan if you only use it in the weekend, plus you always know its there waiting for you, untouched, unscathed from the roads, weather, debris, rocks, etc etc.. I'd personally park it ...
Old 02-29-12, 06:31 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going to keep the car and make it a road warrior. As much as I'd like to be more economical, I think this is the route to go. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the car, and I don't want to spend it in a Corolla or Camry. I'm going to take my car allowance and buy my wife a 2009-2010 Pilot Touring (we're expecting this summer). Her 2002 RL is up to 159K miles and probably is due for replacement soon.

Here are the items I'm thinking I"ll need:
New tires - already have new winter tires on my winter wheels, just need some new tires on my factory wheels.
New air filter
New cabin air filter
Change trans fluid
Change coolant
Fresh oil change (probably switch to synthetic)
Check ball joints and the rest of the car - also need to see if the old owner changed out the spark plugs - is that included in the 90K service with timing belt/waterpump? That was done at a Lexus dealer.
New Nav DVD

If the ball joints are okay, I'm thinking about $1000-1100 and I should be set until I'm at 180-190K when it will be due for a timing belt. Although some hiccups obviously can happen during the time.

Am I missing anything else?
Old 02-29-12, 06:44 AM
Redline26
Pole Position

I drive a lot too between work and school. I say keep ur gs and save up for a new one
Old 02-29-12, 07:36 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

If you don't plan on selling the car, drive that baby!! I bought my car in mid May '11 with 78k and it's March '12 and it has 101k! I won't worry about miles, I drive and don't think twice lol. I'm not selling my GS at all. The only way it will leave me is if it's totaled.
Old 02-29-12, 07:51 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vasgs4
I think I'm going to keep the car and make it a road warrior. As much as I'd like to be more economical, I think this is the route to go. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in the car, and I don't want to spend it in a Corolla or Camry. I'm going to take my car allowance and buy my wife a 2009-2010 Pilot Touring (we're expecting this summer). Her 2002 RL is up to 159K miles and probably is due for replacement soon.

Here are the items I'm thinking I"ll need:
New tires - already have new winter tires on my winter wheels, just need some new tires on my factory wheels.
New air filter
New cabin air filter
Change trans fluid
Change coolant
Fresh oil change (probably switch to synthetic)
Check ball joints and the rest of the car - also need to see if the old owner changed out the spark plugs - is that included in the 90K service with timing belt/waterpump? That was done at a Lexus dealer.
New Nav DVD

If the ball joints are okay, I'm thinking about $1000-1100 and I should be set until I'm at 180-190K when it will be due for a timing belt. Although some hiccups obviously can happen during the time.

Am I missing anything else?
As from experience you will be happy with your decision. Most don't realize how traveling so much can really take a toll on your body. It really makes a difference being able to travel in comfort besides a car is meant to be driven not parked!!!
Old 02-29-12, 05:50 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

drive it enjoy your car you wont regard it...
puff you think that bad last time i was in Florida we rented a ford excursion ,,,worst piece of crap suv you can buy or rent it had only 5,000 mile gas mileage was the worst , spent over 280 dollar in gas in two weeks and the longest drive was to and from Orlando to Miami .. then only from the parks to the hotel... i was looking forward to coming back to my dear lexus and complain about here gas mileage ....
Old 03-01-12, 06:42 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neojungle1
drive it enjoy your car you wont regard it...
puff you think that bad last time i was in Florida we rented a ford excursion ,,,worst piece of crap suv you can buy or rent it had only 5,000 mile gas mileage was the worst , spent over 280 dollar in gas in two weeks and the longest drive was to and from Orlando to Miami .. then only from the parks to the hotel... i was looking forward to coming back to my dear lexus and complain about here gas mileage ....
The worst fuel efficient car I ever had as a demo when I used to work for a dealership was a 2003 Navigator on 22" wheels - I remember looking for a parking spot going to class and I saw 7.2MPG on the dash.
Old 03-01-12, 07:17 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Makes me just love my 99 K2500 Suburban with the Big Block 454, I get 9-10 city and 14-15 highway.... When you have a big family you need the big vehicle, but it sure sucks the gas! Took a 3000 mile trip a couple summers ago, that wasn't cheap....
Old 03-01-12, 07:36 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive the GS! I use my GS as a business tool as well, when you drive as many mile as I do or you will be it makes sense to worry less about the value of the car and more about your comfort and how you feel stepping out of the car after a 500 mile trip.
Old 03-01-12, 08:45 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

And you will get more respect driving an Lexus GS or any age than a new econobox....

And you will be upside down for years BUYING a new car to save a couple mpg. Do the math, spreadsheets don't lie (too often) ....
Old 03-01-12, 08:56 AM
VIPDreamin
Driver

I have a beater civic I used to drive all the time when I had my truck...got the GS and the civic hasnt moved much since. The only way Im driving it now is if gas continues to go up. The GS is just to comfy to pass up lol.
Old 03-01-12, 03:15 PM
98sleeper
Driver

It's comfortable, it's safe. It's not a cop magnet. it's fast when it needs to be and you don't have to worry about getting stranded far from home because it's reliable. On the highway with 1 passenger and cruise control you can get 22 - 24 mpg from it at 65 - 70. It's a keeper. The difference between a full tank of premium and a full tank of regular is about 5.00.... and it's well worth it.
Old 03-01-12, 04:10 PM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98sleeper
It's comfortable, it's safe. It's not a cop magnet. it's fast when it needs to be and you don't have to worry about getting stranded far from home because it's reliable. On the highway with 1 passenger and cruise control you can get 22 - 24 mpg from it at 65 - 70. It's a keeper. The difference between a full tank of premium and a full tank of regular is about 5.00.... and it's well worth it.
my 98 got 25-27 mpg at 65-70 on the I-5 through Oregon/Washington. That's with my wife and weekend luggage in the trunk.
Old 03-01-12, 04:16 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Drive it! Its probably going to be alot better all around (looks/feel etc) when you are driving and working. Its a nice car but it"s also aging. Use the car allowance and consider it a personal company car that you get to keep!
Old 03-01-12, 07:38 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The answer is 2007-8-9 Impala. Dirt cheap, very reliable, amazing highway mileage, anonymous sales dude transport.
I assume this new opportunity means more cash, so drive a real salesman's car for work and keep the GS to remind you why you work so hard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some advice - new job includes more travel