GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Caution with size 34 battery on GS and other Lexus ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 09:34 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Caution with size 34 battery on GS and other Lexus ....

The size 24 battery in our GS went dead (wouldn't hold charge even after charging) so I went to the local Sams Club to get a new replacement. They now carry exclusive Duracell batteries and their warranty is 36m/96m (3 yr full replacement and 8 yr prorate) for about $75 with free installation. However to my surprise, Sams no longer carry the 24 size battery which is common with many Toyota and Lexus vehicles but instead they recommend size 34 and if that won't work, the alternative is size 35. Size 24 and 34 have identical width and length but 34 is an inch shorter than 24. The 34 is rated at 800 CCA. I called Lexus dealer and their factory size 24 battery retails for about $108 with a 84-month full replacement warranty but their battery has been sitting on their shelf for over 8 months which is not good since you want to buy the freshest battery available. Sears Diehard have size 24 available but their freshest battery is June 2011 way too old for me. I also called COSTCO and their size is group 6 for the GS and the guy I spoke to had no clue whether that was equivalent to size 24 or not. Since I was in a hurry to replace that dead battery that I decided to get Sams size 34 battery installed since the price was reasonable, very fresh (Dec 2011) and very good warranty.

Here are the problems when installing the shorter 34 battery in the GS. The GS has a plastic battery housing that fits over the outside of the size 24 battery with a wiring harness clip on the side to hold one of the wires. Because of the shorter height on the size 34 battery, the plastic housing simply won't work so it has to be removed. Not only that the battery holddown bolts (two long J bolts) don't have enough threads to screw down the clamp tightly. So I have to add couple of spacers (thick washers) on the clamp so the bolts can be tighten properly. Having gone thru all this, my advice to those of you who may need a new battery in the future for your GS or other vehicles that have size 24 to stick with original size 24 to avoid all that hassle so you'll still be able to use that OEM plastic battery case. Sams also offer size 35 as an alternative. My suggestion is not to waste your time on this size 35 since it is considerably smaller (physical size) than 24 plus much less CCA than 24 or 34 sizes. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-12, 09:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Only use recommended batteries.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...892-2147384906
Old 02-12-12, 10:23 PM
VIPDreamin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Exactly what I replaced mine with two weeks ago, fit perfect and works great.
Old 02-12-12, 10:24 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend

And jus a heads up, 99% of the delivery drivers for interstate batteries, can sell u a battery @ cost off there truck., I got one nearly half the price many times.....
Old 02-12-12, 11:54 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPia
The size 24 battery in our GS went dead (wouldn't hold charge even after charging) so I went to the local Sams Club to get a new replacement. They now carry exclusive Duracell batteries and their warranty is 36m/96m (3 yr full replacement and 8 yr prorate) for about $75 with free installation. However to my surprise, Sams no longer carry the 24 size battery which is common with many Toyota and Lexus vehicles but instead they recommend size 34 and if that won't work, the alternative is size 35. Size 24 and 34 have identical width and length but 34 is an inch shorter than 24. The 34 is rated at 800 CCA. I called Lexus dealer and their factory size 24 battery retails for about $108 with a 84-month full replacement warranty but their battery has been sitting on their shelf for over 8 months which is not good since you want to buy the freshest battery available. Sears Diehard have size 24 available but their freshest battery is June 2011 way too old for me. I also called COSTCO and their size is group 6 for the GS and the guy I spoke to had no clue whether that was equivalent to size 24 or not. Since I was in a hurry to replace that dead battery that I decided to get Sams size 34 battery installed since the price was reasonable, very fresh (Dec 2011) and very good warranty.

Here are the problems when installing the shorter 34 battery in the GS. The GS has a plastic battery housing that fits over the outside of the size 24 battery with a wiring harness clip on the side to hold one of the wires. Because of the shorter height on the size 34 battery, the plastic housing simply won't work so it has to be removed. Not only that the battery holddown bolts (two long J bolts) don't have enough threads to screw down the clamp tightly. So I have to add couple of spacers (thick washers) on the clamp so the bolts can be tighten properly. Having gone thru all this, my advice to those of you who may need a new battery in the future for your GS or other vehicles that have size 24 to stick with original size 24 to avoid all that hassle so you'll still be able to use that OEM plastic battery case. Sams also offer size 35 as an alternative. My suggestion is not to waste your time on this size 35 since it is considerably smaller (physical size) than 24 plus much less CCA than 24 or 34 sizes. Hope this helps.
So you're ok with going with a battery that is not the right size,

but not OK if the right size battery is a 6 months older then the one you ended up getting (the diehard) even though it has a 3year complete full replacement and then many more years of pro-rated after that. Doesn't make sense to me.

Do you also check the gas stations for their gas delivery schedules to make sure the fuel you are purchasing is within a day of delivery?
What you do with the battery for the next 7years is going to make more of a difference over if it was sitting on a shelf for 6months.

Lesson learned I supposed.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-13-12 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 11:24 AM
mizike
Rookie

Default Old thread but looking at 34 Battery

So reading that, I also used the link for interstate recommended batteries and it does have a MT7 AGM group size 34 recommended. http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number

Wondering if anyone knows if it is recommended that the case will fit and would not need any modifications, this is for my 2002 LEXUS GS30. I have a pretty strong Car sound system so the MT7 is the best option for me, if not I have to go with the Megatron PLUS which is a group 24, and 800 CCA which is way over our stock 555 CCA, and has a good reserve time, so I imagine it would be ok, but if the 34 FITS and it is recommended by Interstate I would think it would fit without modification? Thanks for any input on an old thread.
Old 11-21-16, 05:29 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Based on my experience in putting a group size 34 in my LS430, I think the OP inadvertantly missed a step. The group size 34 is an "alternate size" for group size 24. I wanted an AGM battery and they are harder to find (but not impossible in a 24) plus Sears had a good on-line price ($105) on a DieHard Gold AGM in size 34.

Here's the trick. Most size 34 batteries come with a 1 inch plastic spacer, make sure you get one with the battery. While it looks a little flimsy, it works. It lifted the battery so the tie-down fit. Just to make sure that I had a very tight fit, I added a plastic shim. Fits and starts great.

The AGM battery has 775 CCA compared to 725. My very short cold winter commute and LS's appetite for batteries made me want to try a AGM. I will probably put the same battery in our '02 GS300 shortly. Probably overkill but had great luck with AGM in my '97 LS400, so why not.

(Note: The LS takes a group size 24F or 34R and the GS takes a size 24 or 34. Same battery with the 24F or 34R positive terminal on the right, the size 24 or 34 has the positive terminal on the left)
Old 11-22-16, 05:01 PM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had almost the same problem. I had a die hard gold battery that kept dying every 3 days. took it back to Sears and exchanged it for a new battery. Now this one lasted for 2.5 years before having the same problem. I went with a Yellow top battery but ran into the problem of they only have size 34 for the GS. The Yellow top comes with a trey that you snap to the bottom of the battery that solves everything....
Old 11-23-16, 09:26 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DubbStep
And jus a heads up, 99% of the delivery drivers for interstate batteries, can sell u a battery @ cost off there truck., I got one nearly half the price many times.....
This is good to know!
​​​​​​​Thanks
Old 11-25-16, 09:06 AM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought a size 34 battery for my 2002 GS300. It came with a spacer that made it fit the available space perfectly.
Old 11-27-16, 12:40 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Curious, what brand did you purchase?
Old 11-28-16, 05:34 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a Duracell Ultra Gold at Batteries Plus. This is the first time in 40+ years of car ownership that I've bought anything other than a Sears Die Hard, but Sears is sadly too shaky these days for me to risk a multi year warranty item from them.
Old 11-29-16, 08:01 AM
JamieS29
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Deka Ultimate battery and love it. They're made by East Penn Manufacturing, I personally think they are way better than the Interstate Batteries and cheaper. I've been running for over a year and it has never lagged on start up yet. Interstate Batteries have let me down too many times before. Fitment is perfect too. We run them in all of our cars.
Old 08-14-21, 11:19 AM
mickb
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Extend battery life-PROVEN

As an Engineer & someone very familiar with vehicle batteries, I can tell you the No.1 enemy of any lead battery is "HEAT." Here are some proven tips to extend the life.
1) On a hot day after running tour car/truck for an extended period of time, lift up you hood until the engine cools. This will also extend the life of all rubber components & plastic.
2) Wrap the exterior of your battery with silver sound deadener material or any type thin insulation to shield it from the heat.
3) Heat will also evaporate the acid/water mix. AGM batteries alleviate this problem.
You will notice that the newer Lexus GS350 has had the battery relocated away from the engine after issues with short life.
Old 08-17-21, 06:06 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts

I have always used a Group 34 in my car without any issues. Most batteries do come with a attachment snapped to the top to protect the terminals before purchase. And they are designed to work as a spacer if the battery is to short for a particular application. They can be attached to the bottom of the battery and making up the 1” it’s missing compared to a group 24.

Quick Reply: Caution with size 34 battery on GS and other Lexus ....