GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Soon to be "new" owner! Noob questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 11:07 AM
jeffjameso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be "new" owner! Noob questions!!

Hello,

Am going to be purchasing a 2000 GS 300 with 148K miles on it. Anything I need to look out for before making the purchase?

The suspension has never been changed, so doing some shopping into new suspension kits. Any recommendations? Looking for stock or near close to stock height, and a ride not too stiff.

Also looking at changing the head unit, does anyone have any experience with this unit?
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-P80...=3FOO0WC496TA4

Thanks guys, hope to learn a lot from this board.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-12, 11:28 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any prior maintanance such as timing belt, waterpump, ball joints? What price are you buying it at and what color combo is it?
Old 01-16-12, 11:35 AM
jeffjameso
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure about maintenance, however I am not too concerned as they are close family friends of mine. The color of the exterior is Millenium Silver Metallic, which is a guess since I only saw it once, and the interior is Light Charcoal (another guess).

I am making the purchase at $3,000, which I believe, in most cases is a steal, but in this case a favor from a friend.
Old 01-16-12, 11:47 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Thats a good deal.
Old 01-16-12, 11:52 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$3k is a good deal, be sure to post some pics after you buy it
Old 01-16-12, 12:10 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

OMG $3k I've spent that on wheels, tires and suspension lol. Congrats but why not go for a little bit of a drop while replacing the stock suspension check out the KYB GR2 w Lsportline springs to give you an even drop and still a oem ride.
Old 01-16-12, 12:15 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My turbo costs more than 3K lol.
Old 01-16-12, 12:47 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

damn 3k that is a great deal....i need family friends liek that around me
Old 01-16-12, 12:54 PM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$3k is a good deal. If no suspension components have been changed then you can easily spend $1000+ on replacing all the ball joints, struts, ect. and that is installing everything yourself. If the timing belt/water pump hasn't been changed then that is another $1000 to have done. Keep that in mind.
Old 01-16-12, 03:40 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL....
Old 01-16-12, 03:52 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

wow like ever one else said 3k is a steal.. but most important thing is those ball joint beside the suspension there a whole tread on this issue other than and good tune up ,and yes post picture...as for the head unit I've use it before its a good unit ..good sound and it cover just about ever audio connection you can throw at it aux, Bluetooth ,and USB (iPod or thumb drive ) the only thing that suck is when using the a thumb drive the song would start from the beginning ever time... Bluetooth on point im using it with my htc evo,archos internet tablet and there all pair up ,,,radio i don't know i don't listen to radio unless its the news and that on Am...

Last edited by neojungle1; 01-16-12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 04:26 PM
jeffjameso
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be sure to look up the info on the ball joints (suspension?), which may need replacing as well.

So actually, after reading through some of the threads, the current owner of the car had mentioned that there was a strange creaking sound that would occur, and he doesn't know where and why it happens, and the sound comes from the front right wheel well. I'm assuming that this is one of the symptoms of a failing ball joint. Can anyone please link me to some information as to where I can purchase a good ball joint, if I need to replace all four, any DIY links, and approximately how much it would cost for me to do so.

Much thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by jeffjameso; 01-16-12 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-16-12, 05:19 PM
aklanjac28
Driver School Candidate

There's ton of information in this thread. Should be all you need for need for the most part.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

As for the ball joints, from what I gathered around here is most people use either Factory OEM replacements from Toyota or Moog, I think that's how it's spelled. Moog is available at most retailers. It's what I'm going to go with. You probably only need to replace your front lower ball joints.
Old 01-16-12, 06:24 PM
pandino
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by jeffjameso
Hello,

Am going to be purchasing a 2000 GS 300 with 148K miles on it. Anything I need to look out for before making the purchase?

The suspension has never been changed, so doing some shopping into new suspension kits. Any recommendations? Looking for stock or near close to stock height, and a ride not too stiff.

Also looking at changing the head unit, does anyone have any experience with this unit?
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-FH-P80...=3FOO0WC496TA4

Thanks guys, hope to learn a lot from this board.

Thanks!
I sent you a PM regarding the radio.
Old 02-06-12, 09:08 AM
jeffjameso
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension help!!

Update: Had the super creakiness from the front right wheel well fixed by replacing both of the front lower ball joint,outer tie rods, tires, balance and alignment, but am still feeling some poor steering when driving on the freeways and streets.

I'm currently trying to educate myself on some of these threads, and it looks like I'm going to be attempting to replace steering rack bushings.

I also was looking at this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-facts-11.html

and wanted to replace whatever it is there that needs replacing, however, TM Engineering is seemingly having a troublesome time replying to their customers, and was wondering what I needed to replace with those control arm or caster arm or front trailing arm bushings. I am looking at Sewell's website, and the only comparable thing is their bushing set for front trailing arm.

Is there anyone kind enough out there to help me figure out what else it is that I may need to fix my steering issues?

Thanks in Advance,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Soon to be "new" owner! Noob questions!!