GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Clunking Noise From Front Over Bumps in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 08:56 PM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking Noise From Front Over Bumps in Cold Weather

I have a GS400 1998 with 165000 miles on it. I hear a clunking noise when going over bumps or uneven pavements but only in cold weather. I don't hear it if the temperature is over 55 degrees. Also, I hear it mainly when I start driving the car and it goes away after I have driven a few miles. If the weather is really cold, then it doesn't go away. I don't hear it while turning etc. but only when going over bumps or uneven road patches. My front lower control arm bushings are in really bad shape. I took it to a couple of mechanics and one says its lower control arm bushing while he other says its the strut mounts. I got my front struts changed recently. The car handles fine and I just want to get rid of the noise. What do you guys think it could be?
Old 12-06-11, 07:58 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I having the same issue. I was told (by my mechanic) it was the end links, which i changed to no avail. Keep me posted on the fix.

Last edited by nar8ta; 12-06-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-07-11, 02:16 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah going over speed bumps sound like all hell with my daizen bushings when the car is cold. Keep us all posted
Old 12-07-11, 04:44 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me i have a little clunk also. i used white lithium grease spray and coated the sway bar bushings in the front with a decent amount. that usually quiets down the clunk for a month or 2 until it wears out or washes off.
Old 12-07-11, 06:26 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check all the bushings....
Old 12-07-11, 06:44 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingNasGS4
Yeah going over speed bumps sound like all hell with my daizen bushings when the car is cold. Keep us all posted
Grease them with silicone grease. I did this to my sway bar bushings and no more squeaks.
Old 12-07-11, 07:52 AM
cschroder
Driver

replace the sway bar bushings. i had this, then went with prothane front and rear, now the sound is gone.
Old 12-07-11, 08:02 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

I have Prothanes too. They will start to squeak after a while, which is normal since they made of polyurethane.
Old 12-07-11, 09:08 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I have a lovely creak as well. I've narrowed it down to either the strut mounts or the sway bar bushings.
Old 12-07-11, 10:22 AM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

I also have uneven wear on the tires on the inside. I was told that the noise as well as the tire wear was because of struts, which I got the struts replaced and also got new tires. It would be sometime before I know if the tires are still wearing. My tie rods were bad too which I got replaced as well. What do you guys think could be the biggest contributor to tire wear - struts, tie rods, lower control arm bushings, or strut mounts? I am still deciding whether to replace bushing first or the mount first. Will keep you posted. Also, will try uploading a video that shows what exactly the noise is.
Old 12-07-11, 08:47 PM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Here is the noise that comes....would you call it clunking?? What do you guys think is causing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fcv8swt57A
Old 12-07-11, 08:58 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

^ Had the same noise. Sprayed some WD-40 on the lower control arm #2 bushing and it went away for awhile. I have poly bushings so the squeak is normal and just a sign that the bushing needs to be greased.

I had a feeling it was the LCA #2 bushing as the squeak seemed to be coming from directly under my floor mat. I did my best to try to focus on where the noise was coming from.

Oh, and slowing down while going over those speed bumps should help. I always do a slow roll (3-5 mph) over speed bumps to minimalize suspension travel. Besides, we're all bashing our heads wondering why we bought a car with such a weak front end suspension design?

Last edited by shvc1991; 12-07-11 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 09:03 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

And I'm not saying that your problem is the same as my problem, although it's a possibility. I'm just simply stating that I have the same noise coming from my suspension.
Old 12-07-11, 10:02 PM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shvc1991
And I'm not saying that your problem is the same as my problem, although it's a possibility. I'm just simply stating that I have the same noise coming from my suspension.
If you have the same noise as mine, then I think it may be the LCA bushing for me too as it is clearly worn out. However, I suspect it may be coming from where the strut mounts are. Do you hear that noise in summer too? I only hear it when its under 45 degrees and if I drive the car a few miles, it goes away. However, if the temp is realy low like 30 degrees, it wont go away. Since the noise goes away once I have driven the car a few miles, I am suspecting it may be because the strut mounts get somewhat heated up by engine heat (the are close to engine than the bushings are)?? In any case, I may just end up replacing mounts and bushings. I hate it when someone is sitting with me and the car produces this embarassing noise.

Last edited by texangator; 12-07-11 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 10:48 AM
texangator
Driver School Candidate

Update: After showing the car to Firestone, NTB, Meineki - mainly I was told it was LCA bushings and/or strut mounts. I also showed it to a local mechanic that I also use. He earlier said it was upper control arm or LCA bushings. But then I took him on a drive on one cold morning and when he heard the noise he said it may not be LCA. Anyways, I left the car with him and he called me later to say the car was fixed and the bill was $200. He said he replaced sway bar busings one on each side and 'tighened' the chasis (not sure what that means). The noise is gone!! Amazing how the Firestone et al. never mentioned sway bar busings even when I asked them to look for them being worn out. I don't have any handling problems with the car, so I will not be replacing LCA bushings, atleast for now. Thanks all for your input guys.

Quick Reply: Clunking Noise From Front Over Bumps in Cold Weather