GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is the 4th Gen GS tempting you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 04:17 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Honestly i dont know how some of you guys think the new GS looks ugly. This car is better in every way compared to the 3rd gen especially the 2nd gen. I mean this is cOming from a lexus fanatic, but honestly there is nothing all that special about the 2gs. Yes its a great car but its no longer 1998 its almost 14 years after they were released. Our cars now are just plain old in every which way. This new GS has been built by the same company which made the brand so great, do you guys really think they would put their best seller our there and have it jeopardize everything lexus has built? Seriously come on this car company has taken over mercedes in every way and benz has been around for over a century, lexus did it in 20 years. Seriously for you guys that say its ugly, i dont believe you.
I am being dramatic with my comparison of the grill to the Predator but I am being honest as well. I don't think the car is ugly, just the front facia on the GSF pictured above. The GS350 is a little better. The car doesn't flow imo. The front is aggressive but the rest of the car isn't.
That's why I sorta like the 5 Axis car because the whole car is aggressive, matching the front.
In the movie, the Predator's mouth/face fits the rest of his body. Would the monster look right if that face/head was on a 5'10, 180 lb body? Nope.

The front of the ISF is aggressive without being too bodacious. It works with the rest of the car. Lexus could have done better....and they will. We know they like to refresh models.

I may see the car in person and like it.....who knows!
Old 11-23-11, 05:01 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Seriously come on this car company has taken over mercedes in every way and benz has been around for over a century, lexus did it in 20 years. Seriously for you guys that say its ugly, i dont believe you.
I really hope you were smoking something when you type this statement. I think people should hold judgement on the 4gs until it hit the road. From the pics I still think the 3rd generation GS looks better and the 2nd generation made/did make a bigger splash. Other than the hybrid part I don't find the car all that special. Sorry
The truth is that Lexus didn't build the best car they could have built. The car really sound like something Acura put together we'll give you a a nice interior and a nice technology pkg but I'll powertrain will lag so we can save a few dollars. Hopefully they will uncut the competition in price.

Last edited by rogers2; 11-25-11 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 05:18 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still think thats th most beautiful GS to date. If you guys want to donate a 1 dollar each to me so that i can buy one i will definitely let you guys know how i like it thru real world experience.
Old 11-23-11, 05:31 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Now Show me another car that looks as sexy as that. Theres no tte grill or authrntic tte lip or expensive 3 piece wheels you can put on anything currently out that is as good looking as this beasty machine.
Old 11-23-11, 06:00 AM
Rob Daddy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not at all. only cars i am finding tempting is the 3GS, ISF, & M3
Old 11-23-11, 10:59 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

Its ****ing ugly the end of story j/k im just mad I cant afforc one man my job sucks
Old 11-23-11, 11:29 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

I have to say after owning 4 different GSs' (2 300's 400 and a 430) and having a good amount of other Lexus' like IS300, 2 SCs' and the LS430 I can honestly say I dont know if Ill get to love another GS as I do my 300. There is a time though that everything will change and cars are going through these crazy transformations.

In short Im on the fence and will be getting an LS460 or the GS350 fsport. After that test drive with Scott Pruitt im really leaning towards the GS F-sport. The car feels amazing and that interior is top notch... more so to me than the LS460 for the "sportiness" aspect of it all.

and back to your topic the g/f will be trading in her IS300 for an IS250 fsport or a regular CT200h I guess its all about upgrading in the end ... same as philly said up top I will be driving my 2000 GS300 with 71k miles till the wheels fall off of it too
Old 11-23-11, 02:17 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

So th 4th gen interior looks better than the ls460 interior? Better materials?
Old 11-24-11, 10:41 AM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

i would trade my 2GS for a 4GS in a heart beat!!!

i love my 2GS and i have a 1999 and the maintenance is killing me. it's not the cost (maybe a little) but the time and effort it takes to research the problems and then the amount of time it takes to bring it to the shop...
Old 11-24-11, 11:05 AM
spin420
Rookie

I don't really have any inclination toward the newer GS models as well. The only other Lexus I'm really interested in right now, besides the 2GS, are the LS430s.
Old 11-24-11, 11:34 AM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

14 year old design still looks current sorry I have to disagree with the 2GS is just old. Not at all as long as vendors keep coming up with new ways to keep the 2GS fresh we'll still be here! I LOVE the 5 Axis GS-F sport and that's the ONLY reason I'm tempted by the 4th Gen. I just might trade my BMW in for the GS-F and keep my 2nd Gen. It's so hard to let go of a car that's in mint condition. And let's not forget the Lexus customer service aspect. Buying the CT200h was the best car buying experience I've had in the 10+ cars I've purchased.
Old 11-24-11, 10:42 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

what were they thinking with that front end shape. I didnt like the 3gs when it came out either, but i dont think this one is going to grow on me. Its feeling kinda like a newer nissan or cheap ricer body kit or something. Its also a little dissapointing that they ditched the signature 2 and 2 headlight and tailights. meh
Old 11-25-11, 04:39 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only GS I don't like is the 3rd Generation, that one looks so dull (I do love its front seats!)

The 2nd Gen's body style ages well , but the interior not so much.

The 4th Gen looks very promising. I like the overall design, sporty and intimidating. I love the interior (except for the steering wheel which looks to bulky to me).
Old 11-26-11, 12:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think Lexus did an exceptional job on the 4th Gen GS.. I was a little shocked that they carried over the tranny and engine HP but all in all they did a good job. I would definitely buy one if i could afford it. An $800 + car payment is not in the near future. Plus I've been thinking about an SUV maybe. Still keeping the GS4 but lets face it upgrading is in all our futures at some point. Whether its new or pre-owned it will happen.
Old 11-26-11, 09:35 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

I also cannot get over the awkward front grill of the 4GS. The hour glass angle is too drastic for me. I'm used to smoother and more subtle lines. Not a fan of sharp edges.

I'm getting another 2GS when mine passes away. I'm at 228K miles and adding about 250-300 miles everyday. Has never once given me a problem and I don't suspect it will for another while. Besides, I can just put all the parts and stuff in the next one that I have in my current one.

The 2GS just ages so well. I still stop and stare at it every time I walk up to it; I even do a double take as I walk away. It's just beautiful.

Quick Reply: Is the 4th Gen GS tempting you?