GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Master key won't lock doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 06:35 PM
Gigi69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Master key won't lock doors

Has anyone had issue with the master control key all of a sudden not unlocking the doors? This occured out of the blue. It opens the locked doors but will not lock them! Thought it was the battery but apparently that was fine. Any ideas?

Help!
Old 07-09-11, 09:25 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club. It could be your actuator is starting to go bad. Very common for our cars. Here's the link of a DIY to replace the door actuator if you plan to replace it yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html
Old 01-04-12, 02:29 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

I just started having the same problem with the key from my 98 GS400. The unlock and trunk open buttons work fine, but the lock button does not work. Additionally, the red indicator light on the key does not light up when I push the lock button, but it does light up when I push either of the unlock or trunk buttons. Any ideas? Is it possible that only my lock button is broken?
Old 01-05-12, 05:04 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

maybe try going through the reprogramming procedure again? my wife's key started doing this when we bought her car. the used dealer only gave us one key. but once we took it to Lexus to get more keys made, they said they had to reprogram all of them, the original key didn't give us a problem anymore.

oh, just to add, her original key wouldn't work sometimes. i could stand outside the car for a minute & press the button to lock it like 5 or 6 times & then it would eventually work. one time i did have to open the door & lock it manually.
Old 01-05-12, 06:39 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I'll give that a try. I only have one master key...can I reprogram with just one key?
Old 01-05-12, 11:28 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I just tried the procedure below and it did not fix my issue. Step 7 of the process relies on pushing down the LOCK button on the remote and because my LOCK button doesn't work I was not able to get this step to work. I was able to get into program mode and can confirm that this is the correct procedure. I think I will try replacing the battery, and if that doesn't work I may need to order a new key.

1- all doors closed and locked except drivers door (open and unlocked)
2- place key in ignition turn it to on and off
3- cycle the manual door lock from unlock to lock 5 times
4- closed the driver side door and open the driver side door
5- perform step 3.
6- place key in ignition and turn it on to off (one time to add a key) on and off two times ( rewrite ) pull key out of ignition, the door lock should response by going to lock and unlock( one time to add key) lock and unlock two times for rewrite mode.
7- push lock and unlock bottom on key together for 1 sesond and push unlock one time.

Last edited by AZGS4; 01-05-12 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 06:20 AM
Gigi69
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
Welcome to the club. It could be your actuator is starting to go bad. Very common for our cars. Here's the link of a DIY to replace the door actuator if you plan to replace it yourself.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ators-diy.html
That link does not work. What is the actuator?
Old 01-09-12, 01:52 PM
billzblaze
Rookie

Yo im still new too butt damm dont you see the SEARH option in the upper right corner..
Old 01-09-12, 02:00 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

If anyone is interested...changing the battery in my key did not resolve the issue. It looks like I may need to order a new master key in order to get remote locking again.
Old 01-09-12, 06:53 PM
kaipus
Driver School Candidate

it seems that i got the same problem. key remote can "unlock" but can not "lock". does this sounds like the battery?

also, could it be the actuator while the central lock from door panel works fine?
thanks,
Old 01-10-12, 07:40 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Kaipus, does the red indicator light on your remote light up when you push LOCK? How about when you push the UNLOCK and TRUNK buttons? If it does light when you push LOCK you may be able to reprogram. If it doesn't light at all when you push LOCK I think you may be out of luck like me and need a new remote key.
Old 01-17-12, 10:26 AM
kaipus
Driver School Candidate

it light up and work for the "unlock", but no light and not working for the "lock". did a new remote key fix your problem? i'm suspecting something on the car side, because this same problem behave identical on both my remote key fabs.
Old 01-17-12, 10:35 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I did not get a new remote key yet. I just figured that since the light didn't light up when I pressed LOCK that I had a bad remote. You say you have this issue on both remotes? Seems like it could be a problem on the car side. Hmm.
Old 01-23-12, 09:41 AM
kaipus
Driver School Candidate

i also has a suspicion that the light on remote flash only when it receive acknowledgement signal from the car...
Old 02-22-12, 01:26 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

^^ I don't think this is true, because I can push the remote buttons when I am miles away from the car and unlock and trunk button trigger the LED, only the lock button does not trigger the LED.

Quick Reply: Master key won't lock doors