ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   Advice on wheel poke and pulled fenders? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/601336-advice-on-wheel-poke-and-pulled-fenders.html)

tiger4life 11-03-11 08:16 PM

Advice on wheel poke and pulled fenders?

5 Attachment(s)
1. Ist question. I'm about to install my maya rear wheels which are approximately (20x11+26). They're going to poke a little if I don't pull fenders. Those with poke, how high do you ride so the wheels don't smack the fenders. I have some Megan EZ's with 10k front/ 8k rear right now and plan to use 245/35 Achilles.

2. I want to try shaving the fenders 1st, but would I be able to pull them (maybe 5-6 mm's) after shaving? I am aware I may need a pull, but I want to avoid paint work since my car is gold.

My fitment should be pretty close to lightwave's. Not planning to be super low, so I think a full shave will be enough, but I daily this thing, so I don't want tear the fenders up.

Mr Jokster 11-03-11 09:12 PM

Well, Chris's ^^ car is on bags, thats not his drive height.

5t341th 11-03-11 09:34 PM

put a smaller tire on there. that tire is huge. u can pull without shaving it, but its not too nice

1sWt2GS 11-03-11 10:13 PM

the way it looks right now is perfect. just drive EXTREMELY slow. hahaha

yeah a smaller tire should help out.

tiger4life 11-04-11 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by 5t341th (Post 6799706)
put a smaller tire on there. that tire is huge. u can pull without shaving it, but its not too nice

I'm going to run a 245/35 like Chris. I'll have a little more stretch than him since he has a 10.5. I kind of just want to live with the poke. But I'm trying to figure out how high I need to be to not smack my fenders. I don't want to find that out while driving 70 on the freeway.

I'm not on air, and never going in that direction.

I just want to make sure, I can opt for a pull after I fully shave it.

J$mooth23 11-04-11 08:42 AM

245 on an 11 should be good.
To give you an idea, I'm on a 10.5 rear +15 w/235. I did a shave and slight pull and it drives fine.

aristo123 11-04-11 08:44 AM

I'm gonna be running 19x11 +25 in the rear so I know ill need to shave the rear. Once you add a bit of camber and stretch, you should be right where you need to be. If you want to avoid hitting the fender you just need to trial and error it. Meaning, drop the ride height half an inch at a time(after you get your tires) test drive it at slow speeds in the neighborhood. If you don't hear rubbing go a bit lower and repeat. If you do hear rubbing, add camber or get a roller and flare/pull the quarter panel slowly then test drive. Messing with the body most likely will result in chipped paint or wavy fender arches. Unless you go slow, and don't pound the inside of the quarter panels. Just so you know, I'm worried that when I get my wheels I will be in the same boat as you. Since I did my is300 I know the risks and I'm not going to mess with the fenders too much. I do plan to shave the rear, and roll the front flat. I have the roller annd heat gun so I'm doing it myself but it still worries me.

AristoKing 11-04-11 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS (Post 6799791)
the way it looks right now is perfect. just drive EXTREMELY slow. hahaha

yeah a smaller tire should help out.

hahaha ^^^

what he said I agree with the smaller tires.

tiger4life 11-04-11 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by J$mooth23 (Post 6800441)
245 on an 11 should be good.
To give you an idea, I'm on a 10.5 rear +15 w/235. I did a shave and slight pull and it drives fine.

You have pics of your pull? Mind pm'ing me the price for your pull if you didn't do it yourself?

stevenjai 11-11-11 01:29 AM

Sorry off topic but The question here is that how do you lower your car that low and not scratch the fender when you turn? When I lower my car that low exactly what you have on your pic, I cant turn the wheel without pushing the whole fender out? Will rolling the fender allow me to lower my car more and allow me to turn my wheels?

aristo123 11-11-11 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by stevenjai (Post 6814599)
Sorry off topic but The question here is that how do you lower your car that low and not scratch the fender when you turn? When I lower my car that low exactly what you have on your pic, I cant turn the wheel without pushing the whole fender out? Will rolling the fender allow me to lower my car more and allow me to turn my wheels?

The silver gs in the pictures above is on air ride suspension. The cars you see tucking the wheels past the fenders are usually on air and if they drive their car its in a straight path for photo shoots or just to cruise at a very low ride height. When they turn, they are usually sitting at a much more conservative drop. The benefits of having air, raise the car over bumps, raise the car when turning and driving, lower the car for shows, lower the car to impress the ladies.lol:) Does this make sense? If your going to drive as low as you can go and your not on air suspension, you will have many problems driving.

stevenjai 11-13-11 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by aristo123 (Post 6814748)
The silver gs in the pictures above is on air ride suspension. The cars you see tucking the wheels past the fenders are usually on air and if they drive their car its in a straight path for photo shoots or just to cruise at a very low ride height. When they turn, they are usually sitting at a much more conservative drop. The benefits of having air, raise the car over bumps, raise the car when turning and driving, lower the car for shows, lower the car to impress the ladies.lol:) Does this make sense? If your going to drive as low as you can go and your not on air suspension, you will have many problems driving.

Cool Thanks you answered my question :D

abounly 11-13-11 12:05 PM

Even though he has air thats not low.. He should be tucking at least

I've seen people daily static like that. How do they deal with it? I have no clue. Camber factors in as well if you camber enough your wheel will not touch your fender.

phillygs3 11-13-11 05:15 PM

The rears are gonna have to be pulled out, atleast 5mm and thats with max camber on stock adjustment. Along with a 245/35 tire. What size is the current one in the pic?

geeznuts 11-13-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sc300jz (Post 6818515)
Even though he has air thats not low.. He should be tucking at least

I've seen people daily static like that. How do they deal with it? I have no clue. Camber factors in as well if you camber enough your wheel will not touch your fender.

I think in those pics.. His car is on coilovers with cups so I think it is his ride height. I might be wrong though. Op once you put the right size tire and the right ride height you should be able to pull it off with a roll and slight pull