GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 01:37 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
This insurance doesn't have anything to do with YOUR CAR. It's against the company (Toyota)!! Don't cause unnecessary stress to yourself. Hope things work out for you, but you are more passive than I. Requesting a new engine was probably your downfall instead of DEMANDING a new one. There is NO darn way a USED ENGINE would even be brought up if it was my car. I see you kept using "new" engine in your update post, but it's actually a used, junkyard engine you will be getting based on your post. Toyota is a multi-billionaire company, $12k is nothing to the company! You have to handle their insurance company just like you would handle your own personal insurance company...demand the best. The insurance company's goal is to try to pay/fix something the cheapest way possible. Don't be a victim.

I got all new OEM parts when Best Buy screwed up my car. I demanded it, not requested it. I'm sure they probably wanted to go with used parts from LKQ after the diagnostic was ran on the car, but that wasn't going to be acceptable for me.
DAMN SKIPPY! Goku, man after my own heart. what initial audacity for them to even tell you that you needed to pay for the original part that the tech broke. WTH is that? Strike one. Also, you need to really put your fist down. I agree, and with no disrespect to you, you don't sound like you are giving them the impression that you mean business. Pull up your bootstraps and be stern man! Sound off like you've got a pair! I wish I could be in your body and do it for you. This kind of stuff makes me really upset. This is not your fault or your problem. Who cares your car has over 100k, did you bring in a 350K mile beater? I was an insurance adjuster- Trust me-It's their job to pay out as little as possible. They are counting on you to back down and take whatever they give you. SCREW THAT!
Old 11-03-11, 01:39 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Yeah, but this is his downfall. He didn't demand a new replacement but requested a new engine. Requesting a new engine gives Toyota the option of giving him the more costly item (new engine) vs. the low cost engine (junkyard crap engine). OP, which option do you think Toyota will go with? The SM gave you the BS salesman answer and you fell for it. Now he can come back and say, "Hey I told you that they wouldn't go with the requested new engine...they found you a junkyard engine at LKQ". Demanding a new engine, there are NO OPTIONS.

I can almost GUARANTEE that you will get NO WARRANTY on a used engine they have no service history of. Toyota will not make itself liable of something crazy were to happen to that engine after they give it to you. Now that I think of it, OEM new parts doesn't even carry a warranty! You have a uphill battle ahead buddy.
Correct once again.
Old 11-03-11, 01:45 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Could not say it any better than this....
A champion of post. I agree.
Old 11-03-11, 05:41 PM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No real updates to report - I got a call last night that they were expecting the insurance adjustor to come out to look at the car (I thought they already did that last week?? they said they just filed the claim last week, but that they were still waiting for the on-site visit) but that they were closing soon and that they might not see him til today. No call today, so who knows if he came.

As I mentioned in another update post, there doesn't seem to be any 'new' engines out there anymore. There are short blocks available but no long blocks are available in the U.S. - which I verified via a separate Lexus dealer we all know and love. So my hopes/demands for a 'new' new engine seem to be running thin.

Maybe I should just tell them f it, give me ridiculous credit toward some vehicle on their lot; I wouldn't be opposed. In the meantime, I've put almost 500 miles on their 2011 Camry in the past week.
Old 11-03-11, 06:06 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

If they have the same vehicle similarly optioned to your liking, at this point I would consider that as a
good option,
Old 11-03-11, 06:39 PM
cdg306
Rookie

Now that I think of it, OEM new parts doesn't even carry a warranty!
That's not true. Any Toyota/Lexus part installed at a Toyota/Lexus dealer carries a 1 yr unlimited mileage parts warranty. Covers the part and labor.
Old 11-04-11, 05:10 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by cdg306
That's not true. Any Toyota/Lexus part installed at a Toyota/Lexus dealer carries a 1 yr unlimited mileage parts warranty. Covers the part and labor.
I highlighted the magic part...installed at the dealer...I don't know many of us who purchase parts from Lexus will go and then get raped by the stealership's service price. Most of us purchase the parts from them and install ourselves or take to a cheaper trusted mechanic. The only time the stealership is even mentioned with work is typically for the TB service. Heck, even most of us are even changing that without their help.
Old 11-04-11, 05:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by BiGRiGNiG
No real updates to report - I got a call last night that they were expecting the insurance adjustor to come out to look at the car (I thought they already did that last week?? they said they just filed the claim last week, but that they were still waiting for the on-site visit) but that they were closing soon and that they might not see him til today. No call today, so who knows if he came.

As I mentioned in another update post, there doesn't seem to be any 'new' engines out there anymore. There are short blocks available but no long blocks are available in the U.S. - which I verified via a separate Lexus dealer we all know and love. So my hopes/demands for a 'new' new engine seem to be running thin..
These idiots are pissing me off. Horrible service, very horrible. I'm still new to Lexus, but can anyone explain what the long block vs short block engine is? Is this I-6 vs. V8?
Old 11-04-11, 05:39 AM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

short block is motor without heads. Longblock is complete engine.
Old 11-04-11, 06:16 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Correction. Long block is short block + heads. No intake, no accessories. Far from complete.

Short Block: Block, Rotating Assy, no heads or intake or oil pan (might get it, but by definition, doesn't include it).

Long Block: Short Block + heads + oil pan. It is basically what people want. A drop in engine and transfer your intake and accessories over and go. Your crate engines are long blocks.

Originally Posted by Gunnut
short block is motor without heads. Longblock is complete engine.
Old 11-04-11, 06:50 AM
cdg306
Rookie

A long block does not include the accessories. There is still a lot of transfer of parts involved.
Old 11-04-11, 07:11 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Protagnist
Let me throw this out there.

The insurance company will screw you regardless. If they think it is cheaper to just go ahead and total your vehicle if the labor + parts exceeds the value, then they will. It will be whichever method requires them to cut the smallest check. Boom.
here is the equation, i just went through this with hail damage.....

retail value-salvage value=X
cost of repair=Y

they will go with whatever is cheaper x or y.

if they deem it a "complete loss" it will show up on carfax as a complete loss and the car will be issued a title that shows this (killing the value of the car). they will give you the option of buying the car for the "salvage value". The adjuster is going to the dealership more to figure out the salvage value than to inspect the damage to the engine.
Old 11-04-11, 08:12 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by cschroder
here is the equation, i just went through this with hail damage.....

retail value-salvage value=X
cost of repair=Y

they will go with whatever is cheaper x or y.

if they deem it a "complete loss" it will show up on carfax as a complete loss and the car will be issued a title that shows this (killing the value of the car). they will give you the option of buying the car for the "salvage value". The adjuster is going to the dealership more to figure out the salvage value than to inspect the damage to the engine.
Incorrect. This won't have anything to do with HIS INSURANCE company. You are correct if HIS personal insurance company was involved, but this is dealing with Toyota. BTW, I'm glad I'm out of OK...I got tired of the constant hail each year lol. I was in Tulsa, OK (Broken Arrow to be exact)
Old 11-04-11, 03:03 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm.... if i was in ur spot, i would demand they total the car and get compensated between 12-15k. there is no way i would feel "right" driving that car again. then take my big fat check from their insurance and fly over to new york where one of CL members is selling his 01 gs430 top of the line for 9k in mint condition that has been well taken care of. hope everything works out for you and you get a fair shake.
Old 11-04-11, 04:54 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should not have to pay for anything and don't budge. Call a lawyer and sue the **** outta them

Quick Reply: Ughh, Toyota dealership destroyed my engine after timing belt replacement