GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tinted window/police escape

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 09:22 PM
fresh2rip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tinted window/police escape

so i live in the bronx, new york and I have one question for everyone how do I get away with having dark tinted windows with out getting pulled over by the police. Because it happened to me and I had to get 50% and these suck why? because I hate that feeling that people can look in my car at night whyll it is parked or when im driving on the highway andddd my gs400 looks better with darker tints. So the question again is how can I get away with darker tints without trouble from police?
Old 10-26-11, 09:32 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

roll um down when u see um coming but u gotta catch them first lol - same issue in Cali but we got bigger issues for Stockton PD to worry about right now
Old 10-27-11, 06:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The simple answer is, you can't.

You know the law and if you choose to disobey it, be willing to pay the fine every time you drive your car. And FYI, you can get a ticket for EVERY tinted window on your car.

Law says 70% of light must be allowed to pass through. You're not even close to being borderline so you will be stopped.

Gotta pay to play, good luck. One tip is to always ride with your sunroof shade open. Rolling down the windows doesn't really work. The law used to be that you could have the rear windows tinted however dark you wanted but that was changed. So you can get stopped for the rears alone.
Old 10-27-11, 06:54 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

see if you can get a medical exemption to have the tint on legally... that way any cop that does pull you over, you can show them the permit... otherwise pony up the cash to pay if they pull u over...
Old 10-27-11, 07:15 AM
MrMannNYC
Driver School Candidate

Get a note from your eye doctor or medical doctor that says you need tinted windows for medical reasons like migraines since bright light can be a cause of them. I have 20% now and have had them for about almost two weeks and so far so good but papi44 is right. Keep your sunroof shade open so that light from street lights can shine into the car when driving. Whatever you do though....DONT GET 5%! I had 5% about 5 years ago and not only can you not see the person behind it at all, you can barley see OUT of it at night. Parking was hell at night because if the other car was not white, red, or silver I could barely see it.
Old 10-27-11, 07:17 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Boston what we do is we get our cars tinted 10-20% and then slap a high quality state police decal on the back. If we get pulled over, ill say its my father or uncle who is in the force( make sure to look up where one of the barracks are located). Father is good because he "uses" your car. 95% we get let go with no mention of tints.
Old 10-27-11, 07:18 AM
MrMannNYC
Driver School Candidate

Oh and remember the rrules are 70% tint is the legal limit for all windows except the back window. The back window can be as dark as you want it.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
Old 10-27-11, 07:22 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dam Florida is 30% I believe
Old 10-27-11, 07:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
see if you can get a medical exemption to have the tint on legally... that way any cop that does pull you over, you can show them the permit... otherwise pony up the cash to pay if they pull u over...
Originally Posted by MrMannNYC
Get a note from your eye doctor or medical doctor that says you need tinted windows for medical reasons like migraines since bright light can be a cause of them. I have 20% now and have had them for about almost two weeks and so far so good but papi44 is right. Keep your sunroof shade open so that light from street lights can shine into the car when driving. Whatever you do though....DONT GET 5%! I had 5% about 5 years ago and not only can you not see the person behind it at all, you can barley see OUT of it at night. Parking was hell at night because if the other car was not white, red, or silver I could barely see it.
I have a question about the medical exemption. Preferably a response from someone in the medical profession since I work in the insurance field.

Would anyone who has paid ungodly amounts of $$ to obtain your medical license risk it by giving someone who doesn't need it a medical exemption so they tint their windows? The medical exemption also allows you to tint your front windshield as well (not the entire windshield I believe, but a percentage from the top). The driver gets into an accident and says to officer "I didn't see the person that I hit" and then pulls out the exemption you provided for them allowing the tint. GOD forbid it's a person you hit and they lose their life. During the investigation and wrongful death suit, it turns out there was no medical reason for the exemption you provided and I then subrogate against you for any payments made as the person providing the exemption. Your insurer will then find you acting fraudulently and deny you coverage leaving you on the hook for the value of the claim.

So basically I'm wondering why ANY doctor would issue the exemption? Personally I think it's an urban legend since I've yet to see it in person in my lifetime.

If your parents have the exemption, I believe legally it only applies to them as driver of the car. You driving that tinted car, should still be eligible to get all applicable tickets.

Side note to MrMann: Try to stay off the streets when you read about a new class of recruits graduating from the academy. One of their first assigments is street corner duty and they are given a light meter reader to check you while you are stopped at the light.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 10-27-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 07:33 AM
gs300yerg
Rookie

in PA the only legal tint is factory so if u could find a factory tint sticker to throw on between the tint and the window your good. thats what a lot of people i know do here so i dont know if itll help you at all. Its also considering PA is a ***** when it comes to getting the medical permit
Old 10-27-11, 08:04 AM
MrMannNYC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I have a question about the medical exemption. Preferably a response from someone in the medical profession since I work in the insurance field.

Would anyone who has paid ungodly amounts of $$ to obtain your medical license risk it by giving someone who doesn't need it a medical exemption so they tint their windows? The medical exemption also allows you to tint your front windshield as well (not the entire windshield I believe, but a percentage from the top). The driver gets into an accident and says to officer "I didn't see the person that I hit" and then pulls out the exemption you provided for them allowing the tint. GOD forbid it's a person you hit and they lose their life. During the investigation and wrongful death suit, it turns out there was no medical reason for the exemption you provided and I then subrogate against you for any payments made as the person providing the exemption. Your insurer will then find you acting fraudulently and deny you coverage leaving you on the hook for the value of the claim.

So basically I'm wondering why ANY doctor would issue the exemption? Personally I think it's an urban legend since I've yet to see it in person in my lifetime.

If your parents have the exemption, I believe legally it only applies to them as driver of the car. You driving that tinted car, should still be eligible to get all applicable tickets.

Side note to MrMann: Try to stay off the streets when you read about a new class of recruits graduating from the academy. One of their first assigments is street corner duty and they are given a light meter reader to check you while you are stopped at the light.

Yeah I heard about that from one of my friends whose NYPD. Easier to get a vehicle at a light than having to be driving, see the car, and make a U-Turn and try to track them down. My boy used to see the cops and when he knew they were going to pull him over he would pull on to a side street and just park and hope they didn't see him turn lol.

As for the medical exemption you have some doctors who will give you that note and not think about the scenario you just brought up. What makes it worse is with the note you can tint the ENTIRE windshield because it is for medical reasons and has been justified by the examining physician.
Old 10-27-11, 09:07 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say, it feels good to be a licensed car dealer with Dealer plates. Both me and my wife's vehicles have dark tint, dealer plates and cops cant/wont pull you over.

Then again, in Colorado, cops dont hassle you over tinted windows in general. 3/5 vehicles have 20% tint here. Noone that i know of ever has been cited.
Old 10-27-11, 09:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gs300yerg
in PA the only legal tint is factory so if u could find a factory tint sticker to throw on between the tint and the window your good. thats what a lot of people i know do here so i dont know if itll help you at all. Its also considering PA is a ***** when it comes to getting the medical permit
legal tint in PA is 70% or if it came from the factory
Old 10-27-11, 10:42 AM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

You're gonna have to deal with the consequences unless you can get a PBA card.
Old 10-27-11, 11:50 AM
gs300yerg
Rookie

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
legal tint in PA is 70% or if it came from the factory
u sure? cuz i was told from cops and plenty of licensed inspectors that say its only factory

Quick Reply: tinted window/police escape