GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

tinted window/police escape

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 12:02 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gs300yerg
u sure? cuz i was told from cops and plenty of licensed inspectors that say its only factory
Here you go
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Pennsylvania, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
• Rear Window Must allow more than 70% of light in.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN PENNSYLVANIA?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

• Front Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.
• Back Side Windows No metallic or mirrored appearance.

OTHER PENNSYLVANIA RULES AND REGULATIONS
• Restricted Colors No colors of tint are explicitly banned.
• Side Mirrors Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
• Certificate Requirements Manufacturers of film do NOT need to certify the film they sell in the state.
• Sticker Requirements
• Medical Exemption State allows medical exemptions for special tint. For more details about the specific terms of the exemption, consult your state law.
Old 10-27-11, 01:12 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NH allows no tint on front windows. I still plan on doin a light tint on there. well truthfully am debating lol.
Old 10-27-11, 05:47 PM
gs300yerg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Here you go
ok got ya thanks for the info. i guess its also just at the officers discretion as well if hes a jerk or not lol
Old 10-28-11, 09:28 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a question about the medical exemption. Preferably a response from someone in the medical profession since I work in the insurance field.

Would anyone who has paid ungodly amounts of $$ to obtain your medical license risk it by giving someone who doesn't need it a medical exemption so they tint their windows? The medical exemption also allows you to tint your front windshield as well (not the entire windshield I believe, but a percentage from the top). The driver gets into an accident and says to officer "I didn't see the person that I hit" and then pulls out the exemption you provided for them allowing the tint. GOD forbid it's a person you hit and they lose their life. During the investigation and wrongful death suit, it turns out there was no medical reason for the exemption you provided and I then subrogate against you for any payments made as the person providing the exemption. Your insurer will then find you acting fraudulently and deny you coverage leaving you on the hook for the value of the claim.

So basically I'm wondering why ANY doctor would issue the exemption? Personally I think it's an urban legend since I've yet to see it in person in my lifetime.

If your parents have the exemption, I believe legally it only applies to them as driver of the car. You driving that tinted car, should still be eligible to get all applicable tickets.
in NJ you can't have any tint at all on the front windows (driver/pass)... with the permit, it allows you to tint the window but there are still limits on how dark you can go with the permit... and even with the permit you CANNOT tint the front windshield... so i'm not sure if that is any different than the other states...

not sure about the scenario of shady dr's just signing the paper for the tint permit... my wife has a legit medical reason to not be out in sunlight/uv for extended periods of time... and the permit is for the car as long as the person with the tint permit is also registered and insured to the vehicle... if i am alone and pulled over for tinted windows, i provide the PO with my license, registration and insurance with both our names on it, and the permit to have the tint on the windows for my wife who shares the car with me... the permit is another card like your registration... has the VIN and license plate on it so it stays with the car... also, the tint permit is not issued by the Dr. the Dr. just signs the application on the condition of the patient which gets submitted to the DMV... based on that, the DMV issues the permit...

let me ask you this about your scenario... lets say that you illegally tint your car/windshield anyway... without conscent of a dr getting you a permit... and you get into an accident and kill someone... does this allow the insurer to deny the claim due to illegal items on your car and leave you on the hook for the lawsuit? i highly doubt it... they should still have a legal obligation to cover the insured... same would be running someone over for talking on a cell phone or running a red light... you did something illegal... so the most that should happen is you get a ticket, but the insurance has to cover the damages... or am i wrong?
Old 10-28-11, 10:10 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

In NY, you can tint the front windshield 6 inches with a non-reflective material. Most are already tinted from the manufacturer anyway though.

Thanks for the info on the medical exemption.

Originally Posted by kamlung
let me ask you this about your scenario... lets say that you illegally tint your car/windshield anyway... without conscent of a dr getting you a permit... and you get into an accident and kill someone... does this allow the insurer to deny the claim due to illegal items on your car and leave you on the hook for the lawsuit? i highly doubt it... they should still have a legal obligation to cover the insured... same would be running someone over for talking on a cell phone or running a red light... you did something illegal... so the most that should happen is you get a ticket, but the insurance has to cover the damages... or am i wrong?
Depending on the situation, yes. Most large companies won't because they know you need insurance and can sky rocket your rates. But it could be done. With tint, you could be charged with negligent driving. There are some people who do actually tint their entire windshield, you kill someone while doing something that blatant, you're probably not just going to walk away with a ticket. There is no legal obligation as insurance is a contract between you an the insurer. That's why they don't cover any aftermarket parts in an accident if you don't add them to the policy. The contract is to cover the stock version of your vehicle.

Here is an article that touches on it a bit. Doesn't go direct to the scenario but coverage isn't automatic.

When you purchase car insurance, you hope your claims will be paid.

But in many situations, your insurer can deny your claim because of things you've done. Negligence, criminal activity or simple forgetfulness all can cost you.

Here are six things you may do that can result in your insurance company refusing to foot the bill for your claim.

1. Filing a fraudulent claimTempted to pretend that old jalopy has been stolen so you can collect the car insurance money? Think it's harmless to exaggerate the extent of your damages in order to collect a few more dollars in your insurance payout?

If you file a fraudulent or exaggerated claim and your auto insurance company finds out, your claim is sure to be rejected.

"Committing insurance fraud is a felony," says Amy Bach, executive director of the consumer advocacy group United Policyholders, which concentrates on insurance matters. "Knowingly committing a fraud is always grounds for denial of a claim."

2. Filing a claim for coverage you don't haveOften drivers don't understand their coverage, which can lead them to try to make claims for coverage they don't have.

For example, did you hit a deer? You don't have coverage unless you bought comprehensive insurance.

Or perhaps you took you hit a slick patch in the road and slammed into a corner mailbox. Any damage to your car will not be covered unless you purchased collision insurance.

3. Expecting coverage for a loss excluded in your policy You will not be covered for any loss that is excluded in your policy.

For example, in some cases, a car insurance policy may not cover you for business-related use of your vehicle. So a claim for a fender-bender that occurred while making a work delivery could be denied.

4. Increasing a car's value without telling the insurerWhen you increase the value of your car, you may not be covered for the full extent of damages if you haven't notified your insurer of the upgrades.

"If you do any heavy customization or special modifications to the wheels or body of your car, it's important to notify your agent immediately," says Rick Ward, director of auto claims for MetLife Auto and Home.

You may be charged a higher premium to reflect the increased value of your vehicle. If you haven't notified your car insurance company of improvements by the time you file a claim for damages, you will likely only receive compensation for your vehicle's original value.

5. Letting your policy lapseEven if you've faithfully paid your auto insurance premiums for decades, a missed payment could jeopardize your coverage.

In this case, your insurer may suspend your auto insurance coverage until you are up-to-date on payments. The results could be disastrous if you're involved in an accident before your insurer has reinstated your policy.

"If you have a lapse in your policy, you'll have no coverage and will be forced to pay for the full extent of any damages yourself," says Ward.

6. Driving under the influenceInsurance companies are generally forgiving of stupidity. For instance, if you leave the keys in your car and it is stolen, most car insurance companies will still pay the claim, even though the theft was partially your fault.

Making poor choices like driving drunk or under the influence of drugs could cost you, however. In many states, insurers are allowed to deny a health insurance claim that occurs when you are involved in an accident and are legally intoxicated.

"Wherever you're driving, you need to understand the statutes and state laws that apply, so that you're aware of the consequences of your actions," Ward says

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...#ixzz1c63HOp3X
There are exclusions to every insurance policy.

Not covered if you take your car to a track, are involved in a street race, etc.

Most people don't have or don't take time to read their full policy. They focus on the ID cards.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 10-28-11 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-28-11, 10:26 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want/need tints, just get it as dark as you want and pay the ticket if you get one because you will get pulled over regardless of how light or dark your tints are.
Old 10-28-11, 11:01 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

There are some people who do actually tint their entire windshield, you kill someone while doing something that blatant, you're probably not just going to walk away with a ticket. There is no legal obligation as insurance is a contract between you an the insurer. That's why they don't cover any aftermarket parts in an accident if you don't add them to the policy. The contract is to cover the stock version of your vehicle.

Most people don't have or don't take time to read their full policy. They focus on the ID cards.
and i am probably guilty of not reading my full policy too... it is like Apple's terms and conditions (Centipad South Park episode )

i have seen cars with windshields fully tinted and i wonder, does some of the liability also fall on the shop that does the tint then?

realistically though, i still think u would only get a ticket... maybe more than one (Tint windshield, obstruction of view, and wreckless driving? i'm just starting to wonder with something like talking on a cell phone while driving, can also be blatantly wrong and illegal in some states... but most you will get is a cell phone ticket and your insurance skyrockets your rates and covers the claim... realistically with illegal tinted windshield may be the same?

thanks for the discussion.. insurance always seems to be a complicated issue...
Old 10-28-11, 11:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kamlung
and i am probably guilty of not reading my full policy too... it is like Apple's terms and conditions (Centipad South Park episode )

i have seen cars with windshields fully tinted and i wonder, does some of the liability also fall on the shop that does the tint then?

realistically though, i still think u would only get a ticket... maybe more than one (Tint windshield, obstruction of view, and wreckless driving? i'm just starting to wonder with something like talking on a cell phone while driving, can also be blatantly wrong and illegal in some states... but most you will get is a cell phone ticket and your insurance skyrockets your rates and covers the claim... realistically with illegal tinted windshield may be the same?

thanks for the discussion.. insurance always seems to be a complicated issue...
Well they are changing the laws all the time, especially as you mention above, to combine things and make the penalties harsher. Reckless driving isn't a just a ticket though, that's a misdemeanor crime that you could be arrested for. Add in a death to reckless driving and that opens the doors to a multitude of scenarios.

Like this article says, there are laws that can be used to punish you. Just a matter of finding the right charge they can prove.

After 21-year-old Jason King was fatally struck by a truck backing up through an intersection on East 86th Street, driver Anthony Regisford was issued a summons for failing to secure a load and another one for not having a medical card. But Assembly Member Micah Kellner, author of Elle's Law, pointed out there are laws "on the books for the police and the DA to use as tools to punish reckless driving and take dangerous drivers off the road." Well, ask and ye shall receive, because the driver has also been hit with a summons in violation of Vehicle Traffic Law Section 1146.
You're right in that you wouldn't get arrested. There is a difference however in negligent vs reckless driving. Seems they are bringing those definitions closer together.

I don't think the shops would face any liability though, the same way audio stores aren't liable for your noise violation tickets after they put in a system. But there are very few modifications that don't break some law. I ride about 2.5 inches off the ground which puts my license plate about 7 inches off the ground. lol that's illegal as the plate is supposed to be no less than 12 inches.

I have yellow sidemarker lights = illegal. Must be amber or red
Fogs on = illegal because we have daytime running lights on. Can only have max of two sets on at a time
my tint = illegal
Blue DRL's = illegal

Which was pretty much my point to the OP; if I get pulled over, I can't complain about getting tickets on any of the above. Mod according to what you can afford to pay the fine for every time you drive your car. If they ever start to really enforce my violations above, my car goes back to stock.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 10-28-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-28-11, 11:40 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

This is the one I was looking for:

Last September, a 6-year-old girl on the Upper East Side was hit by an SUV as she crossed the street at a crosswalk with her nanny. The driver of the vehicle, Jose Castaneda of the Bronx, had spotted a parking space and was rapidly backing up to claim it when he hit Elle Vandenberghe, who was left brain-damaged and may never walk again. Castaneda walked away with a traffic ticket, but a new law named after Elle would impose much tougher penalties for these kinds of accidents. Crazy right?

It's a constant source of outrage for those who pay attention to motor vehicle accidents involving pedestrians or cyclists. Even when fatal, the driver often gets barely a slap on the wrist—as long as he or she stays at the scene of the accident. "One of things that added insult to injury is the realization that nothing really happened to the man who had done this: just a traffic ticket," Elle's mom Heather Vandenberghe tells the Daily News.

"Elle's Law" would create the crime of "vehicular assault in the third-degree," a felony punishable by up to four years in prison, for a driver who causes serious physical injury to a pedestrian while violating traffic laws. Elle's Law would also would require the state to suspend the driver's license up to seven years.
Old 10-28-11, 06:26 PM
718LS430
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had 15% in the back and 20% up front but then it faded so i thought putting 20% over the old tint would be alright so i did it >> damn did it get dark pitch black in the back -5% AND front i guess 0 .... at night its a pain to back up to anything roll my windows down but soon imma get a camera installed ,,,,, ive gotten 2 tickets so far but rest of the times they let me go with a warning