GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP needed with interior lights, dome/map, clock, & radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 04:01 PM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP needed with interior lights, dome/map, clock, & radio problem

Hello fellow CL members,
I encountered a problem when upgrading my rear interior dome lights. First off, the lights i got was a 12 smd panel light. When i installed it, the metal tabs inside the factory 168/194 bulb socket was too loose for the bulb to make a secure contact with the smd light and would flicker on and off every time it was moved.

So i used a small pick to push the tabs together so it would create more of a secure fit and i accidentally touched the positive and negative prongs simultaneously and here is where my problem begins. Radio doesn't work, clock doesn't work, both front foot well lights, dome light or either map light and both rear dome lights. But All of the courtesy door lights work on all four door.

I've checked every fuse and verified that they are in working condition. So i just would like to know if anyone had this or a similar problem and would appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight on to what the next step would be to fixing this problem.

Thanks in adv for those who helped.
Old 10-24-11, 04:08 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I know you said you checked every fuse possible, but did you check the fuses under the hood? I did the same thing when I had my IS and I blew the radio fuse under the hood and in the kick panel.
Old 10-24-11, 04:12 PM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

Yeah those have also been checked. I've just been contemplating whether if i should change any fuse associated with my problem and see how that goes from there even though, in the back of my mind, its not gonna change a thing..
Old 10-24-11, 04:17 PM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

dont mean to question your knowledge but how did you test the fuses?
i think the fuses are still the biggest culprit
Old 10-24-11, 04:23 PM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

used a dmm and tested for continuity since i dont have a test light
Old 10-24-11, 05:08 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

it has to be the fuse... i've done this a couple of times in my ES.

Take the manual, and locate the section that says 'radio/dome/key' [something along those lines]

Its an under hood fuse, pull it and im certain you'll see its blown.

Asides from that... i don't know. A relay wouldn't make sense, or you somehow melted the wire harness - but thats what the fuse is for preventing.
Old 10-24-11, 05:45 PM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

To me it would only make sense that its the fuse also. A relay shouldn't be the problem but i've triple checked all fuses (underhood and in kick panel). I dont think i melted the wiring whatsoever cause it was for a split second when i touched the neg and pos side. Im pretty stumped cause i've had problems like this before but on a different make of car and it was always the fuse but this time its not. I really dont want to tear apart the interior but if i cant source the problem soon, then looks like thats what im going to have to do. Thanks for everyones input, keep em coming.
Old 10-24-11, 09:08 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

That's the common problem when people install LEDS MAP lights and shorts them out. The fuse is on the passenger side right kick panel. I think the fuse is called ECU-B or something, but it's a 7.5 amp fuse. It's been a long time i dont remember clearly. Check the other fuses otherwise. GL
Old 10-26-11, 02:55 PM
Lee2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
That's the common problem when people install LEDS MAP lights and shorts them out. The fuse is on the passenger side right kick panel. I think the fuse is called ECU-B or something, but it's a 7.5 amp fuse. It's been a long time i dont remember clearly. Check the other fuses otherwise. GL
Ha. Out of all the times i was in that area, changing out my cabin air filter and installing aftermarket radio harness, i failed to remember that there was a kick panel on the passenger side . And it was the Dome 10a fuse which was blown. Thanks for your help GS4
Old 10-26-11, 03:26 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to see you have it fixed now.
Old 10-26-11, 05:55 PM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

good ol' knowledgeable CLers to the rescue
love it
Old 01-10-12, 11:50 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

still having issues
Old 01-11-12, 05:52 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Man, I will have to look a my car a little more carefully now. So we have a fuse box on the driver's & passenger side? I didn't know anything about the passenger side, I guess because I'm never on that side of the car unless I'm cleaning it. I knew about the one on under motor.
Old 01-11-12, 09:23 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

It's amazing what a glance at the owners manual will tell you...
Old 06-10-14, 12:47 AM
StanTycoon
Driver School Candidate

thank you so much, it is located on the right passenger side under the glove compartment. there is a label guide attached to that door and it will be called DOME...its 10a red fuze

Quick Reply: HELP needed with interior lights, dome/map, clock, & radio problem