GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

anti-jam feature for windows, sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-11, 11:44 AM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anti-jam feature for windows, sunroof

Hi,

I was wondering if any GS experts could help me out with my issue. 2000 GS400, power windows and sunroof work perfectly - but the anti-jam or anti-pinch feature is offline. Any ideas?

And yes I have searched, but only found references to this reset procedure in an IS forum I think:

Quote:
HOW TO RESET POWER WINDOW MOTOR (RESET SWITCH AND PULSE SWITCH)
If the jam protection is not functioned properly, perform the following procedure.

HINT: It is necessary to reset the power window motor (in initial position for the limit switch) when separating the window regulator from the power window motor or operating the window regulator with the door glass not installed.

Remove the power window motor. HINT: Place the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.
Connect the power window motor and power window switch to wire harness of the vehicle.
Turn the ignition switch ON and operate the power window switch to idle the power window motor in UP side direction for more than 6 rotations or less than 10 rotates (4 seconds or more).
Assemble the power window motor and regulator. HINT:
Install the motor when the regulator arm is below the middle point.
Align the matchmarks on the power window motor and window regulator gear.
Assemble the power window regulator and door glass. HINT: Never rotate the motor to the down direction until the completion of the window glass installation.
Connect power window switch to wire harness and turn the ignition switch ON.
Repeat UP and DOWN operation several times manually.
Check if AUTO UP -> AUTO DOWN operates in automatic operation. HINT:
Take care that the jam protection function does not operate just after resetting.
Reset the regulator again when performing the reverse operating after closing the window fully by AUTO UP operation.
Check the power window function

The window motor needs to be clocked, most glass installers are clueless, so never do. To fix it, the motor must be removed from the regulator, then the switch plugged back in. Hit the down button, and let the motor turn until it stops, then bump it back up until the gear has made six full turns. From there, just reinstall the window motor, and you'll be good to go.

SO DOES THIS WORK FOR THE GS400??

Last edited by Y2KGS400; 10-20-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 12:30 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

What is the symptom you are experiencing that makes you feel this feature is offline?
Old 10-20-11, 12:40 PM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Debonair, but I tested and answered my own question sort of. The anti-jam feature worked fine when I put a kids toy right in there at the top of the window and then it activated! Same test worked out for the sunroof feature. For some reason I thought it was more sensitive, like if I just pushed with my hand down on the window as it was closing, it was supposed to stop.

Reason I was paranoid of a malfunction is I have 2 babies I cart around in my Lex.

Last edited by Y2KGS400; 10-20-11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-20-11, 01:05 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KGS400
Thanks Debonair, but I tested and answered my own question sort of. The anti-jam feature worked fine when I put a kids toy right in there at the top of the window and then it activated! Same test worked out for the sunroof feature. For some reason I thought it was more sensitive, like if I just pushed with my hand down on the window as it was closing, it was supposed to stop.

Reason I was paranoid of a malfunction is I have 2 babies I cart around in my Lex.
Ah OK. Use that window lock button and turn on the AC.
Old 10-20-11, 01:42 PM
RLGS300
Lead Lap

Would reseting this also help if the antijam feature isnt letting the driverside window go up all the way (it goes 3/4 and goes back down to half) doesnt happen if I manually hold the button (up) only when i hit auto up
Old 10-20-11, 06:29 PM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RLGS300
Would reseting this also help if the antijam feature isnt letting the driverside window go up all the way (it goes 3/4 and goes back down to half) doesnt happen if I manually hold the button (up) only when i hit auto up

....i have this same issue.. Happened once on my front passenger window too
Old 10-20-11, 07:42 PM
Y2KGS400
Driver School Candidate

That is exactly what the reset procedure I mentioned above is supposed to do, it should re-calibrate those features. But I'm glad my system is online because the reset doesn't look easy - at least to me lol.

Hope it works for you.
Old 06-16-12, 10:49 PM
Jonb42
Driver

Earlier today the sunroof was acting funny. It would close then re open halfway. I tried closing it 4 or 5 times then it stayed closed. I got home a few hours later and the drivers side window wouldn't do anything. I took the door apart and it was like there was no power going to the regulator. So I tested it. I have constant power going to it but it makes no sound at all. I took the passenger rear control module and swapped it into the opposite side and there is still nothing. Do you think it's the motor or some programming thing. It's just a funny coincidence that the sunroof was acting funn. What do you think? Thns