GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any thoughts on SRT ECU and Intake upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 09:23 AM
gtmuggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any thoughts on SRT ECU and Intake upgrade??

Im looking at this set up for my GS400, im wondering whats your thoughts good, bad or indifferent?
Old 09-29-11, 09:27 AM
esolo98
Advanced

If you do a search you can find some info, but I have it on my GS400 and I love it.
Old 09-29-11, 09:41 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah there's lots of feedback on the SRT. Searching is your best friend here, just about everything you can think of has been covered before. Everyone I know that has the SRT though is more than happy with it.
Old 09-29-11, 10:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Its documented proven HP...
Old 09-29-11, 12:03 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Some people are having problems with those.
Old 09-29-11, 01:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Some people are having problems with those.
john stop trying to scare the guy, including the gs/sc/ls groups there are TONS of people who have them and have no issues. i myself have not had one, not one tiny little problem from my SRT from the day it was installed....

MOST (but not all) problems people have with them i would say is operator error,mostly incorrectly hooking something up

Last edited by sakataj; 09-29-11 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 07:03 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
john stop trying to scare the guy, including the gs/sc/ls groups there are TONS of people who have them and have no issues. i myself have not had one, not one tiny little problem from my SRT from the day it was installed....

MOST (but not all) problems people have with them i would say is operator error,mostly incorrectly hooking something up
Expect a text when I get/install mine, Brian. I might be hitting you up if I don't get something.
Old 09-30-11, 04:51 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

been running it on the gs430 for the past year (got it as a christmas gift to myself), no complaints other than the instructions being a bit off (one of the wires asks for a different wire than in the diagram in the ecu)

but other than that, very solid intake
Old 09-30-11, 01:46 PM
sinstrex
Driver

you're gonna love it! i recently installed it on my GS430. Amazing sound.. the best part its not annoying like an exhaust.. u hear it when you slam the gas
i raced with a stock GS430 and it wasn't hard to murder it... i say go for it.. wont regret it...
follow the connectors. dont follow the wire colors and you're good to go.
Old 10-01-11, 08:52 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the Intake. They increase the piping diameter causing the MAF to read incorrectly then add a chip to fix the problem they themselves caused. Not only is it a backwards fix but they increase the price because of the chip.

My personal recommendation is for the Weapon-R dragon intake seen on eBay with a slight modification. Cut the MAF portion out of your Airbox and out of the Weapon R intake. Use 2.75 to 3 couplers to attach your MAF to the Weapon R. Benefits of an Intake with the factory accurate MAF at a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-01-11, 09:29 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
I don't like the Intake. They increase the piping diameter causing the MAF to read incorrectly then add a chip to fix the problem they themselves caused. Not only is it a backwards fix but they increase the price because of the chip.

My personal recommendation is for the Weapon-R dragon intake seen on eBay with a slight modification. Cut the MAF portion out of your Airbox and out of the Weapon R intake. Use 2.75 to 3 couplers to attach your MAF to the Weapon R. Benefits of an Intake with the factory accurate MAF at a fraction of the cost.
I think you may have missed the point of the intake. The whole reason they increased the size of the pipe was to increase airflow, air is considered a liquid in it's flow, bigger pipe = more liquid. They didn't add the ecu to "fix the problem", they added the ecu to adjust the fuel delivery to compensate for the additional air, more air + fuel = more power.

The reason your weapon-r intake works with your factory maf, which I HIGHLY recommend you don't cut apart the factory intake tube, is because you really aren't flowing any more air. You are just sticking a 2.75" factory bottle neck back into the intake flow. If you are going to do that why even bother with an aftermarket intake, it's just going to be loud and maybe net you 1 or 2 horsepower.
Old 10-01-11, 10:06 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

With all due respect someone driving a vehicle they list as " Bone Stock" shouldn't be lecturing about performance parts.

With the GS400 throttle diameter is slightly larger then the MAF diameter. All MAFs are calibrated to a specific diameter. Most aftermarket intakes use a constant diameter THROTTLE size pipe. Because the MAF is now placed in a larger diameter the readings change. The ECU sees the wrong amount of air and throwouts a code. This difference in size is what causes the "I put intake on and have a CEL" thread. Even high quality intakes like the SRT are guilty of this. In order to compensate SRT included a ECU to modify the incorrect MAF signal

Stock Supra owners have reached over 400hp easily on their MAFs. Stock GS400 300 crank hp the 2.75 tube isn't a limiter. Upgrading from the stock air cleaner to the conical air filter reduced restriction which increases power. Within reasonable changes - intake and exhaust - the stock MAF & ECU are able to adjust for the changes without need for external devices. More so the stock Toyota tune has many cars running so rich at WOT that the additional air from an intake is dealt without issue.
Old 10-01-11, 11:04 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

toyota ecu's are learning ecu's, the reason for the CEL is that the reading values have gone way past the acceptable parameters.

the piggy back tricks the stock ECU in thinking its still somewhat in the allowed parameters, but because it is still afterall a learning ecu, your best bet is to reset the ecu once in a while (as often as every other week). this is almost always why you see anyone with a toyota trying to do any significant power increase with go with a full on stand alone, and junk the oem ecu.

most manufactuers, with what i call a learning advance ecu, sets the parameters to at least 3 drive cycles.

overall, pretty happy with the SRT intake. the quality is pretty good, intake tube is solid and not thin walled alumnium (i had the injen short ram on my GS300)
Old 10-01-11, 02:00 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
With all due respect someone driving a vehicle they list as " Bone Stock" shouldn't be lecturing about performance parts.

With the GS400 throttle diameter is slightly larger then the MAF diameter. All MAFs are calibrated to a specific diameter. Most aftermarket intakes use a constant diameter THROTTLE size pipe. Because the MAF is now placed in a larger diameter the readings change. The ECU sees the wrong amount of air and throwouts a code. This difference in size is what causes the "I put intake on and have a CEL" thread. Even high quality intakes like the SRT are guilty of this. In order to compensate SRT included a ECU to modify the incorrect MAF signal

Stock Supra owners have reached over 400hp easily on their MAFs. Stock GS400 300 crank hp the 2.75 tube isn't a limiter. Upgrading from the stock air cleaner to the conical air filter reduced restriction which increases power. Within reasonable changes - intake and exhaust - the stock MAF & ECU are able to adjust for the changes without need for external devices. More so the stock Toyota tune has many cars running so rich at WOT that the additional air from an intake is dealt without issue.

It doesn't matter what I have done to my car for me to be able to comment about performance parts, that actually gave me (and probably a lot of other members who have been here awhile) a nice chuckle.

I know how a MAF works. The SRT doesn't cause engine codes when installed properly. If you owned one or have installed one you would have seen in the instructions it specifically states "DO NOT USE WITHOUT SRT ECU". If you ignore that and install the intake without the ecu what do you expect to happen? Obviously you are changing the signal from the MAF as it is now in a larger pipe, there was never any question on that so I'm not sure what you are getting at with the post above.

You are proving my point that the weapon-r intake and similar aftermarket intakes which don't require compensation for the increased flow are only flowing slightly more air than factory so what's the point of spending money on something that is going to basically just make noise? If they were flowing considerably more air they would need a change in tuning which would also be where you see your power gains.

If you take some time and go through the forum you will find threads for people who have dyno'd before and after with the SRT intake and seen 12-25 hp gains at the wheels, you won't find that for any intake system without some sort of tuning capabilities whether it's the SRT piggyback or an AFC etc...

As far as the Supra goes it has a much more internally restrictive MAF, the sensor inside the Supra MAF is about the size of an egg. Secondly, you are comparing a forced induction car with a N/A car and making power judgements.

How do you think they get to 400 hp on a Supra with the stock intake? You aren't making that on stock boost levels with the stock twins, so therefore at the very least you are turning up the boost. How do you make more pressure with a turbo? Spin it faster, right? The impeller is directly connected to the exhaust wheel on a turbo, you spin one faster and the other gains speed as well. So, a fan that is now spinning faster and flowing more air (higher pressure) is of course taking in more air correct? How does that happen on a stock intake pipe? You are significantly increasing the velocity of the air which gives you more volume in the same time span but the MAF is still in the same sized tube so the ecu will compensate (to a point...you should still at least do the 12V mod on the fuel pump and have an afc when raising the boost). On a N/A motor you can't spin the turbo faster to increase the velocity of the intake, you can however increase the pipe diameter to allow more volume in by "size" and not speed. If you aren't bringing in significantly more air then you won't need any significant tuning changes and you won't be making any significant power gains. If you want to make noticeable power gains and not just a bunch of noise on the GS motors you will need some sort of tuning device and a larger intake pipe to allow more air into the engine, that's all there is too it.

Last edited by macd7919; 10-01-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 05:29 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

"2.75 pipe is smaller than 3" pipe therefore upgrading to 3" will allow more airflow and it'll make more power right. It's soo simple duh, how can anyone not realize this?" This is you., am I right? To be honest this is exactly the kind of mentality I'd expect from someone who has no performance experience. Trying to apply "common sense" to cars is the mistake. This same mistake allows companies pray on individuals. Did you buy one of those tornado mpg improvers? The truth is that your 4L engine isn't pulling enough air in for a 4.5in stretch of 2.75 to be a restriction. Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on SRT ECU and Intake upgrade??