GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

alternator broke of engine block!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 11:26 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this sounds bad. I bet something could be fabed up. I'm in for the pics though.
Old 07-28-11, 12:35 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you referring to the mounting bolt holes on the block below the water pump? This is what broke off?
Old 07-28-11, 01:14 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

here are the pics for better clarification
Attached Thumbnails alternator broke of engine block!-img_5079.jpg   alternator broke of engine block!-img_5080.jpg   alternator broke of engine block!-img_5083.jpg   alternator broke of engine block!-img_5085.jpg   alternator broke of engine block!-img_5087.jpg  

Old 07-28-11, 01:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You can always have a custom plate fabricated to hold the alternator in place. They're usually about $150 to get done. They find alternate mounting bolts for the plate, then mount the alternator to the plate. Its the same concept at installing a CSC charger on. I didnt think about that till now. Talk to Glenn (RMMGS4) He has a CSC on his wife's IS, you might be able to use the same plate with different mounting holes for the alternator to mount on. I'm using a bracket for my CSC on my drag car and its darn firm

Its kind of like this:

^^ that bracket is for a dual alternator set up, but its the same concept. That kit has a different belt cause with a second alternator, it needs a bigger belt. In your case, all you would probably need is the bracket. Either way, thats a very good option, and probably the only safe one.
Old 07-28-11, 01:33 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
You can always have a custom plate fabricated to hold the alternator in place. They're usually about $150 to get done. They find alternate mounting bolts for the plate, then mount the alternator to the plate. Its the same concept at installing a CSC charger on. I didnt think about that till now. Talk to Glenn (RMMGS4) He has a CSC on his wife's IS, you might be able to use the same plate with different mounting holes for the alternator to mount on. I'm using a bracket for my CSC on my drag car and its darn firm

Its kind of like this:

^^ that bracket is for a dual alternator set up, but its the same concept. That kit has a different belt cause with a second alternator, it needs a bigger belt. In your case, all you would probably need is the bracket. Either way, thats a very good option, and probably the only safe one.
nice. I will present this to my mechanic
Old 07-28-11, 01:47 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

That top ear is aluminum because it broke off the edge of the water pump. The lower one is part of the cast iron block.

And Mr Jokester is correct, you could fab a bracket out of plate steel. This is done all the time to relocate accessories and for big car stereos with massive or multiple alternators on the engine. Pulley alignment is critical as to not wear the belts prematurely..

It also kinda looks like there is a bit of corrosion on that lower bolt, I would check and make sure your water pump hasn't been leaking since the pump bleed hose is directly overtop that mounting bolt and will drip once the seal on the pump impeller goes bad. Problly been dripping for a while, gonna need a new water pump too.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 07-28-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-28-11, 02:20 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
That top ear is aluminum because it broke off the edge of the water pump. The lower one is part of the cast iron block.

And Mr Jokester is correct, you could fab a bracket out of plate steel. This is done all the time to relocate accessories and for big car stereos with massive or multiple alternators on the engine. Pulley alignment is critical as to not wear the belts prematurely..

It also kinda looks like there is a bit of corrosion on that lower bolt, I would check and make sure your water pump hasn't been leaking since the pump bleed hose is directly overtop that mounting bolt and will drip once the seal on the pump impeller goes bad. Problly been dripping for a while, gonna need a new water pump too.
Damn whats the price of the water pump going. Also were do you think I can get the bracket from?
The following users liked this post:
wink571 (12-06-21)
Old 07-28-11, 02:33 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

you can get a 'valucraft' for like $70 bucks LoL. But if you have to change it, might as well do the whole timing chain service (which includes the waterpump) and in case you dont know, timing chain is a must at 90k. If you dont know if its been done, best to get it done right now since you may have to do the pump anyways.
Old 07-28-11, 02:37 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Water pumps aren't to bad, a little over $100, get an oem one for sure. Some parts stores like Napa may sell Aisin pumps which is the same as the oem since Aisin make the toyota pump, so you might could get the same thing for a bit less. Watch out on prices, as some places only sell the front half of the pump and that's why it's alot less, if you get it from toyota it will be the complete pump ready to go on and include the o-ring that goes against the block as well.

Always do a thermostat when you do a pump, you will reuse the t-stat neck though as it doesn't come with the pump. And obviously inspect the radiator hoses for cracks while you have the sytem drained and apart.

Here is the pain in the a$$ part. The water pump connects to the block behind the lower timing cover. You have to remove the crank pulley to remove the cover and take off the timing belt. So If you haven't had a timing belt change, now is the time. As well as cam seals.

As for the bracket, it would be totally custom, and you would have to find someplace local to take the car and have it made to fit. You may have to go to a different belt length once the alt is remounted, not a big deal. You can get Gates belts in increments of 1/2".
Old 05-21-19, 08:28 AM
Singlewing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

My alternator broke off my block. But I had 290,000 mi on the car. My mechanic and welder told exactly the same as you were told. I had a good ride and got my money’s worth so I bought another IS 300. I bought a new one. It’s a lot of money but I am hoping it will last as long.

Originally Posted by chris6878
So the wife was driving my 01 gs 300 when she said the wheel locked up, the car started overheating, and battery light came one. she immediately pulled over. I had the car towed to my mechanic. He checked it out and said the alternator broke off the engine block. He showed it to me and it was broke. Has anyone heard of this before?

The only options he suggested was to weld it back on and hope i dont get any issues or get a new engine. Talked to the welding guy and he said he didnt want to take any chances with the welding. Didnt wanna be liable. So what do yall suggest? Should I just sell it for what i can get or try to get it fixed?

Car has 160k and the engine had 110k. Car is in great shape overall.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-27-19, 02:00 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by Singlewing
My alternator broke off my block. But I had 290,000 mi on the car. My mechanic and welder told exactly the same as you were told. I had a good ride and got my money’s worth so I bought another IS 300. I bought a new one. It’s a lot of money but I am hoping it will last as long.
Well im now 102k on my 08 isf i got in 09. And we have have a few other leases in between. Have a gs f sport now also which is pretty sweet.
Old 07-12-20, 01:46 PM
2jzge8n9
Driver School Candidate

Default 2020 is300 2005 SAME PROBLEM HELP

Hey Can I get an update on this?
I just got the same problem yesterday and I would like a follow up on how you fixed it or something.
Please anyone
T^T *tears of sadness*
Old 07-13-20, 05:12 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2jzge8n9
Hey Can I get an update on this?
I just got the same problem yesterday and I would like a follow up on how you fixed it or something.
Please anyone
T^T *tears of sadness*
Man sorry to hear. I ended up selling my GS. The new owner just did an engine swap. I doubt its possible to put the alt back on.
Old 08-27-21, 09:50 PM
Cory2004G3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris6878
Man sorry to hear. I ended up selling my GS. The new owner just did an engine swap. I doubt its possible to put the alt back on.

yo bro I have the same issue keep me updated if you went we can exchange numbers
Old 08-28-21, 07:40 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory2004G3
yo bro I have the same issue keep me updated if you went we can exchange numbers
It happened in 2011. The post you quoted says they've sold the car. And that the solution was replacing the motor. Likewise for subsequent posts from other users.
​​​​​

Use the personal message system if you want to ask something personal of one specific member.

Quick Reply: alternator broke of engine block!