GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 10:40 AM
cgonzalez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I got to say if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have known a lot about my 2GS...... Happy for the changes soon to come
Old 07-05-11, 02:17 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for posting this Dave, I agree that it has been rough. Sometimes I'm afraid to ask simple questions myself in fear that I wouldn't be helped or put down. I still love CL nevertheless
Old 07-05-11, 04:13 PM
DeanGS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent post/suggestions Dave!
Old 07-06-11, 02:23 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

thanks Dave!

This forum was always a breath of fresh air when it comes to respect for one another, I am surprised this even had to be said.

I think the strongest advice is that you don't have to agree with everything said by others to enjoy and get value from this forum. Sometimes when someone posts and asks "What do you guys think?", if you don't like it, simply don't say anything, the OP will get the point that they are "unique" when they don't get accolades for their effort.
Old 07-06-11, 03:06 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mole
Sometimes when someone posts and asks "What do you guys think?", if you don't like it, simply don't say anything, the OP will get the point that they are "unique" when they don't get accolades for their effort.
I'm not sure that's quite the best idea. Criticism should be welcomed regardless if it's positive or negative. The key to a successful and tight community is the way that criticism is delivered - a skill we've been slacking off on for a little while now, hence this thread.
Old 07-06-11, 07:31 PM
FSUFanBob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'm not sure that's quite the best idea. Criticism should be welcomed regardless if it's positive or negative. The key to a successful and tight community is the way that criticism is delivered - a skill we've been slacking off on for a little while now, hence this thread.
Are you serious? What kind of response is that?! HAHAHA J/K

I agree... if you come here and ask your peers (others with like interests) what they think of an idea or mod then you need to be man (or woman) enough to listen to people's opinions. You never know... someone could say something that may be "negative", but makes you think about doing something another way that you will like better in the long run. Now back to our regularly scheduled program of rainbows and flowers
Old 07-06-11, 09:13 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Well I think Dave would agree leaving constructive comments whether positive or negative is still tolerable but it just depends on how you word it. Like "That body kit is not my cup of tea" versus "EWWW!! that kit looks like run over dog s#!t covered in vomit. Why don't you take that car and drive it off a cliff with you in it" (OK maybe I over exaggerated..... just a tad.... but you get it LOL)

I'll be the first to say, ya sometimes I'm harsh when it comes to some comments and its nothing personal but sometimes when a the same question gets asked over and over and over again and new members making threads without even taking 5 minutes to search the simplest answer sometimes can really do a number on you.
Old 07-07-11, 11:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
i'll be the first to say, ya sometimes I'm harsh when it comes to some comments and its nothing personal but sometimes when a the same question gets asked over and over and over again and new members making threads without even taking 5 minutes to search the simplest answer sometimes can really do a number on you.
im in this boat....i constantly get annoyed with that. trying though
Old 07-07-11, 02:21 PM
SugarMouth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dave!
Old 07-07-11, 08:22 PM
4eign
Lead Lap

"I'd also like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads. Welcome them to the forum."

AMEN!!!
Old 07-08-11, 08:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4eign
"I'd also like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads. Welcome them to the forum."

AMEN!!!
on that note though, ALOT of us would like to see people search BY THEMSELVES FIRST. not them posting a thread saying oh yeah i searched, i couldnt find it...when its obvious they didnt even bother trying to search
Old 07-09-11, 08:51 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
on that note though, ALOT of us would like to see people search BY THEMSELVES FIRST. not them posting a thread saying oh yeah i searched, i couldnt find it...when its obvious they didnt even bother trying to search
Brian, to be honest....how long does it take to do a simple informative reply? 2 minutes? Give the new guys some slack...it's really no big deal. I remember when I first joined and I was never told to search in any replies...i learned so much over the years where now I answer random PMs on a daily basis and reply to threads when I can...i don't mind. People are appreciative from this! You seem like a cool guy and very informative but you can come off too strong sometimes.

As for the new message to the 2gs forum, I think it's a great idea Dave! I love lexus, I love modding and I love knowing I am properly maintaining my vehicle...it's only natural to love CL too! Keep up the good work guys!
Old 07-09-11, 09:29 AM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Brian, to be honest....how long does it take to do a simple informative reply? 2 minutes? Give the new guys some slack...it's really no big deal. I remember when I first joined and I was never told to search in any replies...i learned so much over the years where now I answer random PMs on a daily basis and reply to threads when I can...i don't mind. People are appreciative from this! You seem like a cool guy and very informative but you can come off too strong sometimes.

As for the new message to the 2gs forum, I think it's a great idea Dave! I love lexus, I love modding and I love knowing I am properly maintaining my vehicle...it's only natural to love CL too! Keep up the good work guys!

I totally agree with you 100% and give you kudos for that. I too get random PM's from new members who searched a little but took the easy route by asking me directly since they saw my username (which is ok), I even gave my personal cell number to a handful of people I never met and get text messages from them asking all sorts of questions about this car. I don't mind doing this at all. WIIFM? Nothing. People do appreciate it and thats enough for me.
The following users liked this post:
Iblemz (06-30-19)
Old 07-09-11, 01:14 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
if u ONLY saw my PM box rock, i help ALOT of people behind the scenes....and on top of them,regardless of how i come off

BTW your right how long does it take to do a simple informative reply, not long but in the same breath it can take that same simple amount of time to search, you have to be willing to see it both ways rock
Old 07-11-11, 02:18 PM
luv4dsc
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to be more active on the board. Been a member for over a year but have less than 10 posts. Great place to find answers but I'm trying to give some back.

Quick Reply: 2GS MEMBERS PLEASE READ: Re-establishing a sense of community in the 2Gen GS forum