ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   AC starts and then stops working (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/579039-ac-starts-and-then-stops-working.html)

mroctober7 06-30-11 07:04 PM

AC starts and then stops working

My ac will work for a while and then all of a sudden will stop blowing cold air. The compressor is running and the fans are working. Whats the problem?

KenMasters 06-30-11 08:20 PM

Just serviced my own for similar reasons, after the recharge we found a leak in the condensor. Ordered a new one today and it's going in tomorrow. $160 and a few hours and we should be golden. Now I can chill the balls soup, damn it was hot today.

carbongs 06-30-11 09:22 PM

have you or someone ever taken off the under dash panel on the driver's side? look below your ignition, lower there is a small square grill piece. check behind there to see if the wiring clip is connected or not. you should see some 10mm bolts holding in the bottom plastic cover with the light bulb built into it. To get the second piece off take off the ignition ring cover, then pull the ignition cover panel off. then a couple more rockes this being disconnected will cause the AC to not blow cold or hard.

Doneve79 07-19-11 05:02 PM

Hey, did you figuire out what the probl was? Im having the same issue w my car after replacing the condenser. System is properly charged but it goes from COLD to HOT.

92sc300nj 07-19-11 06:08 PM

does the AC light blink when this happens or is it solid green the whole time?

Doneve79 07-20-11 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj (Post 6545643)
does the AC light blink when this happens or is it solid green the whole time?

Nah, it doesnt. it stays on like normal..

starfyrels 07-20-11 06:42 AM

You should do the a/c test on the climate control and report back. I belive its just to turn your ignition to on while holding the temp button and air/recirc button until your a/c cycles.

If you're getting cold air for a while then hot air (assume its blowing hot on both sides?) then just get a gauge from any auto parts stores and check your psi on the fill line. - 44psi should be what you read, if its lower or higher then you have to either get some r134 removed or get some refilled.

Worst case its just your servo motors (but then you'd be experiencing hot/cold air on either side) or your ambient temp sensor is going bad, or your compressor is telling you its going bad.

Doneve79 07-20-11 07:08 AM

Starfyrels, I have a full motion w the servo & i went to an AC shop to have it check properly W the right freon & psi. I have a good feeling its a sensor but which one.
What does the "ambient" sensor do?

starfyrels 07-20-11 09:48 AM

cabin sensor, its under the right side of your driver side knee height.

GS4_Fiend 07-20-11 11:32 AM

Does the AC clutch engages when A/C is turned on? If not, check the relay.

Doneve79 07-20-11 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend (Post 6547288)
Does the AC clutch engages when A/C is turned on? If not, check the relay.

Yes, it does.

GS4_Fiend 07-20-11 12:30 PM

Assuming the A/C system is good, your Ambient Sensor should be checked. It's under the steering wheel on the right side, you will see a small square vent, that's the one.

Doneve79 07-20-11 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend (Post 6547470)
Assuming the A/C system is good, your Ambient Sensor should be checked. It's under the steering wheel on the right side, you will see a small square vent, that's the one.

yeah, another guy told me the same thing. I'll check to see... How do i know if its not good? shld i just replace it?

sakataj 07-20-11 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by starfyrels (Post 6546639)
If you're getting cold air for a while then hot air (assume its blowing hot on both sides?) then just get a gauge from any auto parts stores and check your psi on the fill line. - 44psi should be what you read, if its lower or higher then you have to either get some r134 removed or get some refilled.

SIGH,your just full of inaccurate info aren't you? don't use those cheap gauges from the auto parts stores they tend to be inaccurate. use real a/c gauges not to mention the pressure should be checked on the on the LOW side (not the fill side) wording isnt really the issue here, the most inaccurate info has got to be the 44 PSI you claiming, just a heads up guys if u have 44psi you can only get down to about a 50 degree evaporator temp. what it should actually be charged to is about 30psi which will get you to a 35 degree evaporator or 35psi to get you to about a 40 degree evaporator temperature.....but hey what do i know? i have only managed a HVAC supply house for almost the last decade so im sure you def know more about this than i do. :rolleyes:

Doneve79 07-20-11 01:48 PM

Yeah Sakataj, i read tht from a previous post you posted. I went to an AC shop where they did everything & properly charged the system(no leak). but now, the compressor comes on but no cold air. It was fine after i left the shop on Sat... however, since monday it blows straight hot air while the compressor is on. so, i will ck the ambient sensor like they previously mentioned, if not will take it back to the shop.