GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC starts and then stops working

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 02:07 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Doneve79
Yeah Sakataj, i read tht from a previous post you posted. I went to an AC shop where they did everything & properly charged the system(no leak). but now, the compressor comes on but no cold air. It was fine after i left the shop on Sat... however, since monday it blows straight hot air while the compressor is on. so, i will ck the ambient sensor like they previously mentioned, if not will take it back to the shop.
you could have a leak although i would assume not as if you had a leak big enough to drain from sat to mon they should have noticed it when charging it up saturday..if cleaning the ambient sensor doesnt help,when you go back to the shop, get the pressures from BOTH the high/low side and report back to us. they didnt give you the pressures from when they charged it sat did they?

I see you had a new condensor put in, did they change the accumulator and drier at the same time? im wondering if you might have a restriction in the system
Old 07-22-11, 07:59 AM
Doneve79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, i ddnt change the dryer & the accumulator only bc the system wasnt open like tht although i shld have. I strongly believe its a sensor. Like yest, it worked fine for over 1 hour still it stopped for abt 5 min then come back on. i check the pressure its 40 on the low & 210 on the high side. I'll hv the dealer look into it.
Old 07-22-11, 11:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Doneve79
i check the pressure its 40 on the low & 210 on the high side. I'll hv the dealer look into it.
where those pressures at idle or under load (1500-2000 RPM's? with ac/fan on high) WHEN its blowing what temp you getting out of the vents?
Old 07-22-11, 01:16 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
SIGH,your just full of inaccurate info aren't you? don't use those cheap gauges from the auto parts stores they tend to be inaccurate. use real a/c gauges not to mention the pressure should be checked on the on the LOW side (not the fill side) wording isnt really the issue here, the most inaccurate info has got to be the 44 PSI you claiming, just a heads up guys if u have 44psi you can only get down to about a 50 degree evaporator temp. what it should actually be charged to is about 30psi which will get you to a 35 degree evaporator or 35psi to get you to about a 40 degree evaporator temperature.....but hey what do i know? i have only managed a HVAC supply house for almost the last decade so im sure you def know more about this than i do.
I guess me no knowing anything -- after I replaced my entire a/c systems components (evap, compressor, lines, o-rings, condenser, etc etc) and then taking it to an a/c shop to get it filled with the correct amount of r134, vac'd and sealed etc (yes, I did get it vac'd out before I removed all parts) --- shows I know nothing and that my info in innacurate. lol

I've been running the same psi since I left the shop who refilled my system, I admit my 44psi might be his 94.3234psi, so don't quote me at that. I'm not licensed, insured, bonded in hvac like you are -- wait, are you?

I was told by the guys at the a/c shop that I would be able to use that ****ty gauge to check the psi for my ref. So maybe since 2009 -- my a/c has been running on complete luck instead of r134.

Quit riding my nuts man, all you needed to do was correct my '44psi' statement.
Old 07-22-11, 05:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

sakataj, starfyrels - knock the personal comments off. I don't care who started it but it ends here and doesn't continue to future threads. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...ponse_comments

To disagree on diagnosis or approach is absolutely fine (even expected), but quit the accompanying smarmy personal comments like "SIGH,your just full of inaccurate info aren't you?.... i have only managed a HVAC supply house for almost the last decade so im sure you def know more about this than i do. " and rude "riding my nuts" comments

If you can't do that, use the ignore list
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist
Old 07-25-11, 07:35 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Where you able to fix it? if so what was it?
I am having a/c issues too, but mine quits blowing cold when I am at idle or stopped at a light, and blows cold when I am driving or just rev it up just a little.
Old 06-14-12, 03:53 AM
Speedmafia
Driver School Candidate

Default Ac

Originally Posted by 92sc300nj
does the AC light blink when this happens or is it solid green the whole time?
I've this problem with my 93 LS400, the AC works fine when the car is parked but while driving after some miles the AC light starts blinking and then it stops blowing cool air. Bro you've any idea what is the problem? The fans working fine...
Old 06-14-12, 06:23 PM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by esolo98
Where you able to fix it? if so what was it?
I am having a/c issues too, but mine quits blowing cold when I am at idle or stopped at a light, and blows cold when I am driving or just rev it up just a little.
Sounds like you are just low on freon and when you rev your motor your AC system raises the PSI... Compresses the gas and cools... Id try a cheap recharge kit from pepboys and see what it reads...
Old 06-14-12, 07:37 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedmafia
I've this problem with my 93 LS400, the AC works fine when the car is parked but while driving after some miles the AC light starts blinking and then it stops blowing cool air. Bro you've any idea what is the problem? The fans working fine...
Im a certified hvac technician, in your case, if the lights blinking its the relay under the hood, its bad, replace....
Old 07-07-12, 09:40 AM
peelsSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Im a certified hvac technician, in your case, if the lights blinking its the relay under the hood, its bad, replace....

can you help me too?
in my wifes 99gs3. her ac compressor kicks on, but doesnt always blow cold. sometimes on start up, it will blow cold. if not, i have to rev it up to about 5k rpms, then it will blow snow *****. the clutch does come on when i hit the ac button. i did the ac system check and got no codes. i have the right amount of freon in the car. i have replace the ac clutch rely with no luck. i might just be blind as a bat, because i can not find the sensor under the driver side you guys are talking about. does anyone have a picture of this?

could this be sensor problem? or is my compressor going out?
Old 07-07-12, 09:50 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Are you kidding? Ac light blinking can mean several reasons, such as low refrigerant.. You cant just assume relay is bad.
Old 07-07-12, 10:05 AM
peelsSC300
Driver

forgot to mention. when my ac is blowing hot, the ac reading is high. but when blowing cold, it reads fine.
Old 07-07-12, 09:10 PM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blower motor resistor - http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto...-resistor.html
Old 07-08-12, 02:09 PM
hallies99
Driver School Candidate

How did this turn out for you?. My compressor is on, but ac is only blowing hot. Had system checked today and mechanic told me that I had a 'low side restriction' - which after further discussion means they aren't really sure, but they want to check the system for clogs and suggest replacing the expansion valve and r&r receiver dryer. Total cost $1025.00.

Before I do this I want to make sure its not something simpler - temp sensor or relay for example?