GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with telescopic wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 09:14 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnno92
Thanks for the pic. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Hopefully the screws come out OK. I have tried removing a window regulator motor on a 1994 Toyota Camry and it was impossible to remove the screws without stripping the heads.
You'll get it out. You'll need a long screw driver, the screws aren't that tight. Once the screws are off you'll need to use the joystick to back out the motor shaft from the column, take the motor inside before opening it up, have qtips, compressed air, and acetone ready to clean it out real good. Dont rush and do a half *** cleaning job, the motor is already off and in your hands. Regrease the contacts, the shaft, just about everything, it'll be obvious what needs lube once its opened up. Put back in reverse and you're done. Once its done, it'll retract and extract like silk. Hope this helps. Update us.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 04-11-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 01:26 PM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the instructions. I didn't get around to working on my car this past weekend, since my girl's car needed some work done for her inspection. Hopefully I will get it done this time. I'll let you know how it turns out.

UPDATE: I tried this morning. Those screws are TIGHT! I cannot back them out and I fear that I will completely round off the heads if I continue. It seems that they are secured with Loctite. I am afraid to use heat to break them loose since there are tons of plastic pieces and harnesses that will melt if I am not careful.

Also, there are two motors; one for the tilt and one for the telescoping functions. Just to be clear, the tilt one is the one in the foreground of the picture that you posted, correct? (Because there is one behind it that I am not dealing with at the moment).

Last edited by johnno92; 04-17-13 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Update my status
Old 04-17-13, 08:12 AM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering wheel motor pic 1998 GS400

Originally Posted by johnno92
Also, there are two motors; one for the tilt and one for the telescoping functions. Just to be clear, the tilt one is the one in the foreground of the picture that you posted, correct? (Because there is one behind it that I am not dealing with at the moment).
Here is a pic taken from the left side kick panel looking up and to the right.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with telescopic wheel-steering-wheel-motor.jpg  
Old 04-17-13, 08:54 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Thats it, it's the motor to the right. Take it out, open it up and clean off any old grease and regrease.

When I needed mine fixed this is the thread I used as a guide. I did a searched and found the quote and the link. ENJOY!

http://https://www.clublexus.com/for...el-tilt-2.html

Originally Posted by t42gs3
1-The up/down motor was locked. Moving the joystick up/down does not work, the motor click only, no movement. There is a seperate motor for the forward/backward movement. Before it locked, the motor was hesitating and moving the steering wheel up/down very slowly, then it stop.

The problem is the motor had build up too much dust. If you are familiar with a dremel tool, the motor has similar parts. Both has brushing in they that makes contact to spin the motor. Only difference is that dremel has vents on the side which allows air to flow in and dust out, the motor is completely sealed so the dust builds up from the brushing and no place for the dust to go.

2-The Fix: $64.00 with tax TOYOTA PART # (GREASE STEERING)= 08887-02507
I removed the the steering colum cover, ignition key cover, and the two peices below the steeriing colum.
Then removed air conditioning duct. Leave key in ignition and disconnect the battery. Below the steering colum is a screw drive(like garage door screw drive) a little smaller than 1/4 inch, follow that down to a cover with two screw on each side. Remove the screws, slide cover back with the two washers behind the cover up the screw drive and use a string or trash bag ties to tie onto the last washer and tie the other end to anywhere to keep these three parts from sliding back down while you are working. This now exposes the gears.

The first motor motor is the up/down motor. There are four screw on the side of the motor, remove them.
Back to the exposed gears, there is a gear about the size of a nickel, use a needle nose pliar and gentlely pull it out about 1/4 inch and hold it. Now slide the motor out.

Remove motor from plastic mount. Take motor apart, you will see the brushing(mine has about 15-20% wear on it). Slide the internal out, wipe and blow this part(I did not remove the grease on the tip of the rod). Do the same for inside of the motor housing. I added a thin layer of grease to the bottum of the inside of the motor housing. Then reassemble the motor. Remove any old grease that you see, also the screw drive and all grease in the gear housing , all of the old grease are kind of dry. Regrease every thing with new grease including steering colum while you are at it. Reassemble motor, gear, washer, and cover.
Reconnect the battery and test. Put every thing back together.

Sorry for the long post. Hopes it helps anyone with this problem. It took me about 2 hour but after doing this once it should olny take an hour. Works like new again.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 04-17-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 10:36 AM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

I just went out to my work parking lot today at lunch and tried with a beefier screwdriver, and was able to break the screws free. I can't wait to dig in more to get this working again!

I really appreciate all of your research and help with this.
Old 04-21-13, 08:11 PM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

Default Dirty Steering Wheel Tilt Motor Brushes

I finally got around to fixing the dead steering wheel tilt motor. It works like a champ now (so far). Here are a few pics from the experience in case anyone can use the info.

The gear mechanism was good, however, the motor brushes were filthy (lots of carbon buildup, I guess). I used compressed air and contact cleaner to get it all cleaned up.

The first pic is of the gear box guts, and the other ones are parts that are from the inside of the motor housing.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with telescopic wheel-tilt-motor-gear.jpg   Need help with telescopic wheel-brushes-and-commutator.jpg   Need help with telescopic wheel-brushes-close-up.jpg  
Old 04-21-13, 10:04 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

well done. thanks for the pictures. i might give this a try as my steering wheel telescoping is getting really slow
Old 07-29-13, 03:15 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

woo hoo! mine just crapped out. so just to confirm, you clean the white plastic piece of all that black dust\grease and the brush then regrease the spiral piece?? the link wbmx1981 didn't work.
Old 07-29-13, 05:49 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Might is acting up right now I have to do this, great job...
Old 07-29-13, 06:41 PM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

I cleaned the brush housing of all of the carbon as best as I could, so I would only have to do it once (hopefully). I also removed all of the dirty, gritty grease on the spiral shaft and re-applied some white lithium grease on it, as well as on the gear that it drives.
Old 07-29-13, 07:55 PM
Mrmartin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this thread and decided to try it on my 03. Mine wasnt as dirty as the pic posted above. My wheel squealed when returning to home position. Didn't have the right size screw driver for the gear housing but got the motor and rod out and cleaned it up. Going to try and find the right size screw driver to get the gear cover off tomorrow.
Old 07-30-13, 04:54 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
woo hoo! mine just crapped out. so just to confirm, you clean the white plastic piece of all that black dust\grease and the brush then regrease the spiral piece?? the link wbmx1981 didn't work.
I just noticed that the link is no longer any good, however all the inormation you need is right here in this thread. Read the whole thread and use the pics as a guide. The motor is a silver tube looking thing closest to where the driver would be. BTW, the plastic white part is just extra cleaning, but that alone will not fix the issue, the main part is removing the motor and cleaning the inside and the metal piece at the tips, once you have the motor out and opened up you will see how black it is.

Last edited by wbmx1981; 07-30-13 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 07:59 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine officialy crapped out this morning, now will this make it dead quiet like on the newer models telescoping wheel? Or will u still hear that whining while it moves...
Old 07-30-13, 08:34 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mines don't make a buzzing noise or a clicking sound.
Old 07-30-13, 09:24 AM
Mrmartin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of grese do I need to replace it with. Not sure if aging made the grease yellow or if it's the natural color. I hope a car parts store has it.

White lithium grease by chance?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=10463_0_0_

Last edited by Mrmartin; 07-30-13 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help with telescopic wheel