GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Things to look for...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 08:30 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Things to look for...

Hello everyone. A friend of mine is buying a 98 GS400. He was asking me things about the car and since I'm an SC guy I am not familiar with GS's. Can someone tell me things to be aware of and to look for with these cars? I believe this car has close to 180k miles on it. He is buying it for his son.
Thanks

Ken
Old 07-11-11, 08:35 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

use the search button, they do have one of those in the sc section too. right? sorry to be rude but this has been happening way to frequently lately and you are not new to the site.
Old 07-11-11, 08:52 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol I spent a while the other day answering this question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...questions.html
but just look through the stickies within the 2GS Forum and you will find everything you need.
Old 07-11-11, 09:04 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
use the search button, they do have one of those in the sc section too. right? sorry to be rude but this has been happening way to frequently lately and you are not new to the site.
In the amount of time it took for you to write all that, you could've just replied with some keywords to look for other than balljoints and lock actuators, if in fact there are any. The following is a quote from a STICKY, "Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum" in the SC section. Kind of thought it applied in all Lexus forums. It should.

WE NEED YOUR HELP
I'd like to ask each and every one to stop telling new members to 'use search' without helping them search by also telling them what keywords to look for and giving them a couple of links to helpful threads.
While I'm not a new member, my friend however soon will be and neither he nor I are familiar with GS models. Why post if you have nothing helpful to say?
Old 07-11-11, 09:17 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusben
Lol I spent a while the other day answering this question: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...questions.html
but just look through the stickies within the 2GS Forum and you will find everything you need.
Thank you for the link and not being an arshole. Everything I wanted to know is there. Thanks again!
Old 07-11-11, 10:16 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

so you saying that you knew how to search? over it. please close thread

Last edited by SoCal Cyco; 07-11-11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 11:36 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gtsfire
In the amount of time it took for you to write all that, you could've just replied with some keywords to look for other than balljoints and lock actuators, if in fact there are any. The following is a quote from a STICKY, "Re-establishing a sense of community in the SC forum" in the SC section. Kind of thought it applied in all Lexus forums. It should.
we also have this in the gs section they posted it here also since the sc/gs seems to be getting all the kids as prices drop on them and some of us older members arent clicking so well with some of the newer members i guess you could say.So since the mods are asking us to help people does this mean just do nothing for your self (searching) because someone will come along and do your leg work for you?

Originally Posted by gtsfire
Thank you for the link and not being an arshole. Everything I wanted to know is there. Thanks again!
glad you got your info but since you wanna get all high and mighty and quote that sticky,THIS is how you are helping re-establish a sense of community, by name calling?

BTW mods who will be in here shortly im sure, maybe since we are getting alot of new members and this seems to be the same type of questions we could have a sticky with most of this info they need to know.....yes i know we have a few great stickies but maybe one just with this info

BTW OP have your friend look over these threads....have ALMOST everything you need to know in them

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-newbies.html

welcome to our side of the boards but please next time come across better....or more polite i guess

Last edited by sakataj; 07-11-11 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-12-11, 02:01 AM
tianh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
we also have this in the gs section they posted it here also since the sc/gs seems to be getting all the kids as prices drop on them and some of us older members arent clicking so well with some of the newer members i guess you could say.So since the mods are asking us to help people does this mean just do nothing for your self (searching) because someone will come along and do your leg work for you?
At least give him some keywords you don;t have to do the leg work for him. It is a forum after all. If all the answers existed in the search then this forum wouldn't exist.
Old 07-12-11, 07:33 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

ball joints
Old 07-12-11, 08:00 AM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

The entire front end
Old 07-12-11, 08:12 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

You pretty much have it covered. Check to make sure the power steering isn't leaking. Just like with the SC, it'll kill your alternator.
Old 07-12-11, 09:32 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

So since the mods are asking us to help people does this mean just do nothing for your self (searching) because someone will come along and do your leg work for you?
I will not argue with that. However just throw some keywords out and I'll take it from there. The same questions get asked over and over on the supra forums so I understand, but, I always help them out with keywords or links I'm familiar with. We've all been there and me being one of the older guys in the supra forums (42) I try to make the new guys (supra owners) feel at home and welcomed.

glad you got your info but since you wanna get all high and mighty and quote that sticky,THIS is how you are helping re-establish a sense of community, by name calling?
I will not argue with that either. I should've refrained.

BTW mods who will be in here shortly im sure, maybe since we are getting alot of new members and this seems to be the same type of questions we could have a sticky with most of this info they need to know.....yes i know we have a few great stickies but maybe one just with this info

BTW OP have your friend look over these threads....have ALMOST everything you need to know in them

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-newbies.html

welcome to our side of the boards but please next time come across better....or more polite i guess
Thanks for the links! I will pass them on.

Originally Posted by tianh
At least give him some keywords you don;t have to do the leg work for him. It is a forum after all. If all the answers existed in the search then this forum wouldn't exist.

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
You pretty much have it covered. Check to make sure the power steering isn't leaking. Just like with the SC, it'll kill your alternator.
Thanks! You've been a help to me before so I thank you.

I think we're pretty much done here.
Old 07-12-11, 11:25 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buying a gs shouldnt be different to buying any other lexus.