GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What type of Oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 02:41 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Royal purple and oem filter
Old 06-06-11, 05:16 PM
RoboRam12
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Dude, you SERIOUSLY need to educate yourself on oils! This statement =
Really? Who told you otherwise, their product websites? I've talked to plenty of guys in the automotive field who have told me this. My boss even refuses to sell Pennzoil to people who comes to his shop, even if they asked for it. He's been doing this stuff for longer than I've been alive, I trust what he tells me over some info posted on the internet.

I don't claim to know everything, that's why ask advice from my peers and instructors who have been doing this stuff longer than I have. But the fact remains that I have had tons of people in both the parts and repair business tell me to avoid Pennzoil and Quaker State.
Old 06-06-11, 05:50 PM
rusher
Driver School Candidate

castrol gtx high mileage with purolator pureone oil filter and my car has 195k miles
Old 06-06-11, 06:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboRam12
Really? Who told you otherwise, their product websites? I've talked to plenty of guys in the automotive field who have told me this. My boss even refuses to sell Pennzoil to people who comes to his shop, even if they asked for it. He's been doing this stuff for longer than I've been alive, I trust what he tells me over some info posted on the internet.

I don't claim to know everything, that's why ask advice from my peers and instructors who have been doing this stuff longer than I have. But the fact remains that I have had tons of people in both the parts and repair business tell me to avoid Pennzoil and Quaker State.

It's mostly based off of myths or he said she said kind of thing. Pennzoil is really no different than Castrol or Mobil. This "wax" that people refer to is paraffin and that ingredient shows up in practically all dino oil. Sludge is caused by inadequate OCI, or simply using the wrong oil for the car. Those who follow the necessary OCI won't have problems with sludge, even if you're using Quaker State or Pennzoil.

Mind you I had a 1988 Honda Civic that used Pennzoil throughout its whole life and the internal was still clean after 250k miles, which the car was sold then. Yes, some oil sludge more than others when going over the necessary interval, but that's not the real problem. The problem is many people neglect to change their oil on time. No one should rely on the oil to stay sludge-free. Rather, one should do proper maintenance and avoid troubles later down the road.
Old 06-06-11, 08:00 PM
breadbeat
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running K-Y jelly in my crankcase because driving my GS is like making sweet love. Bow-chika-wow-wow>.................
Old 06-07-11, 10:36 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's mostly based off of myths or he said she said kind of thing. Pennzoil is really no different than Castrol or Mobil. This "wax" that people refer to is paraffin and that ingredient shows up in practically all dino oil. Sludge is caused by inadequate OCI, or simply using the wrong oil for the car. Those who follow the necessary OCI won't have problems with sludge, even if you're using Quaker State or Pennzoil.

Mind you I had a 1988 Honda Civic that used Pennzoil throughout its whole life and the internal was still clean after 250k miles, which the car was sold then. Yes, some oil sludge more than others when going over the necessary interval, but that's not the real problem. The problem is many people neglect to change their oil on time. No one should rely on the oil to stay sludge-free. Rather, one should do proper maintenance and avoid troubles later down the road.
Thanks for responding because I wasn't going to entertain his response. Glad to know someone else knows the process that oils go through!
Old 06-07-11, 10:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by RoboRam12

your boss is an idiot then. Like I said, educate yourself....you're speaking to a engineer who works for a petrochemical company. Pennzoil is made out of Group II + base oil. That's probably foreign language to you but that's one step from Group III " synthetic" oil.Quaked State is made out of group II base oils...which is still great sink oil.
Old 06-07-11, 10:44 AM
VipBippu08
Pole Position

Originally Posted by denut-L
Amsoil 5w30 w/K&N filter
Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic Oil!! Best oil you can buy!
Old 06-07-11, 12:12 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Amsoil, Redline is great oil. What is your drain interval? I only use synthetic when I catch it on clearance.
Old 06-07-11, 12:55 PM
rstreidl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5W/30 with Toyota Filter....change 6-7k interval
Old 06-07-11, 12:58 PM
USMCgs3
Driver

all i use is 10w40 castol gtx, idk its just what my buddy that built a few 2jz powered cars told me to run. i guess its ok cause the car runs puurrrfect. i guess everyone will run different oil since we live in different climates right??
Old 06-07-11, 01:03 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I run Motul 300V 15w50, and 90915-YZZD3 Toyota oil filter
Old 06-07-11, 02:25 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

I use a variant of Quaker State 5W-30 and a high mileage FRAM oil filter. The oil gets changed every 2500-3000 miles.
Old 06-07-11, 03:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

OP never came back and this thread is still going lol
Old 06-08-11, 10:05 PM
midship909
Rookie

how many quarts does a 2000 gs400 take? this will be my first time doing a oil change on her

Quick Reply: What type of Oil do you use?