GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Facepalm - Seafoam Gone Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 09:24 PM
Culi
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facepalm - Seafoam Gone Wrong?

So I tried to seafoam the GS300 today. I thought any vacuum line to the engine would work. I mistakenly used the PCV line instead (blue circle in photo). I thought it was a vacuum line because it provided a very light suction. I put 1/3 of seafoam through that line.

Well, needless to say there was no white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Can someone tell me where the seafoam went if it didn't go into the combustion chambers? Any harm to the engine by this stupid mistake? Into the oil reservoir/pan? If so, then I will change the oil out.
Attached Thumbnails Facepalm - Seafoam Gone Wrong?-dsc02630il5.jpg  
Old 05-10-11, 09:28 PM
rustednail
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it went into the crank case.
Old 05-10-11, 09:28 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PCV should be fine, that's what I did mine in when I got my car and all worked out fine. How long did you let it sit? You know you're suppose to let it sit for some time.
Old 05-10-11, 09:30 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's fine, all you did is pour seafoam into the engine oil by pouring it in the vent. It's basically mixed in with the oil right now. Not really a big deal, seafoam actually made to be poured in the oil to help clean the carbon deposits in the motor. A good place to pour it in is where the PCV valve goes. The one you circled in blue is not the actual PCV valve. It's just an extra vent.

I'm talking about the actual PCV side, it's on the driver side valve cover and it's in the same position as where you circled blue. Unplug the hose going to the pcv valve. You want the end going to the throttle body still in the throttle body. Now, you will need to pour the seafoam in that hose leading to the throttle body. You will have a TON of suction with this line. I recommend you have someone sitting in the car and keep on the throttle so the car does not stall. Once you unplug this hose, it will cause a massive vacuum leak so the engine may stall until you plug it back up. But you use that vacuum in the hose to suck in the seafoam.

Hope I didn't make that too confusing lol.
Old 05-10-11, 09:31 PM
Culi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
PCV should be fine, that's what I did mine in when I got my car and all worked out fine. How long did you let it sit? You know you're suppose to let it sit for some time.
I let it sit for about 5 minutes. Still no white smoke. I even let it sit longer after that before driving for 5 miles.
Old 05-10-11, 09:36 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Listen to what Jeff said. Use the other side of the PCV. That's the side I used and when you do let it sit for more like 30min-1 hour.. The longer you make it sit, the more deposits it breaks up and cleans.
Old 05-10-11, 09:47 PM
Culi
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's fine, all you did is pour seafoam into the engine oil by pouring it in the vent. It's basically mixed in with the oil right now. Not really a big deal, seafoam actually made to be poured in the oil to help clean the carbon deposits in the motor. A good place to pour it in is where the PCV valve goes. The one you circled in blue is not the actual PCV valve. It's just an extra vent.

I'm talking about the actual PCV side, it's on the driver side valve cover and it's in the same position as where you circled blue. Unplug the hose going to the pcv valve. You want the end going to the throttle body still in the throttle body. Now, you will need to pour the seafoam in that hose leading to the throttle body. You will have a TON of suction with this line. I recommend you have someone sitting in the car and keep on the throttle so the car does not stall. Once you unplug this hose, it will cause a massive vacuum leak so the engine may stall until you plug it back up. But you use that vacuum in the hose to suck in the seafoam.

Hope I didn't make that too confusing lol.
Thanks! So the hose that I used directed the seafoam into the oil reservoir? I know seafoam can be pour into the oil/crank case, but it is recommended to change the oil out after 20-30 miles of driving because it breaks down the oil. Great, I just changed oil last week. Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for the input! What is that hose for anyway?
Old 05-11-11, 03:41 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A vent, as they said. It's probably fine in your oil but you could drain and fill it just to be safe. You needed it to go into the intake, probably shouldn't be doing things you don't understand. At least look for instructions next time.