ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005-184/)
-   -   HID Install (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/569386-hid-install.html)

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 12:57 AM

HID Install

5 Attachment(s)
Installed DDM Tuning 6000K in the low beams and fog lights. Put them in yesterday to see how they looked, but i decided tonight at 1 AM was a good time to mount the ballasts :D I ordered the slim ballast, so in the engine bay looking down, you can barely tell they are there :thumbup:

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 12:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Nice light output, I am definately satisfied with them :thumbup:

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 01:02 AM

2nd post, 2nd pic...you can barely make out the 2011 RX350...LOVE it!

jegMAN 05-07-11 02:35 AM

Nice. Time to change your city light to match it :)

ak11 05-07-11 06:11 AM

You probably need to zip tight it. Those 2 side tape wont last forever, you dont want a ballast stuck into your engine bay. Looks good BTW.

lexybaby77 05-07-11 10:55 AM

im planning to buy HID low beam, high and fog lights soon. Any recommendations? Where to buy and about how much price range? Thanks.

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by jegMAN (Post 6369628)
Nice. Time to change your city light to match it :)

LED's for the city lights should be in monday or tuesday :D

Originally Posted by ak11 (Post 6369766)
You probably need to zip tight it. Those 2 side tape wont last forever, you dont want a ballast stuck into your engine bay. Looks good BTW.

The kit didnt come with double sided tape, I used scotch mounting tape...it seems pretty solid. I'm going to check them in about a week and see how theyre holding up.

Originally Posted by lexybaby77 (Post 6370160)
im planning to buy HID low beam, high and fog lights soon. Any recommendations? Where to buy and about how much price range? Thanks.

I bought mine from DDM Tuning. The kits were cheap, $40 each (they have them for $30 but I wanted the digital slim ballast which is $10 more). Shipping was around $12. Cheap, and they look great :thumbup:

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 02:50 PM

BTW, i shuld have elaborated originally, the last pic in the first post is the lower radiator support where i mounted the ballast for the fogs

dejavu157 05-07-11 04:02 PM

Did you get 55w or 35w?

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 06:06 PM

I did the 35W, I was going to do the 55W but a friend of mine said they started to melt the housing in his IS.

lexybaby77 05-07-11 06:17 PM

Did you also replaced high beams too?

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 06:27 PM

Nah, just the low beams and the fogs. I never use my brights anyway, and with the brightness of the HID's I will never have to :D

whytry 05-07-11 09:51 PM

Nice looking lights!!

Clear2Cloz 05-07-11 11:52 PM

Thanks :thumbup: I have to start modding this thing, the HID's is the only thing I have done over the 12 yrs I owned the car lol. Since I got my 07 GS350, the 2GS is no longer a daily driver :D

cmara2k9 05-08-11 01:35 AM

If u wanted all u would hav to do Is insert new hid bulbs where the old high beam bulbs are now since u already have a the kit correct?

cmara2k9 05-08-11 01:36 AM

I meant if u wanted hid's for the highs as well

lexybaby77 05-08-11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cmara2k9 (Post 6371585)
If u wanted all u would hav to do Is insert new hid bulbs where the old high beam bulbs are now since u already have a the kit correct?

Not sure how that works. Does anyone know?

Clear2Cloz 05-08-11 07:39 PM

If you were to do the high beams you would need an additional kit. High beams on the GS is a seperate bulb, there is not 2 filaments in one bulb. Additionally, your day time running lights are your high beams at 25% power, so I dont know how that would work.

lexybaby77 05-08-11 08:14 PM

I've read on another forum that the low are 9006 and the highs are the 9005 lights. You need to run separate kits with separate ballast for both and you have to disable the DRL's. The fogs are the same as the low beams on separate kit as well. My only issue is I don't want to disable my DRL's. I'm wondering if I just put a regular white non-HID bulbs on the high beams so the DRL's and low beams kinda match (at least not yellow)....

chu927 05-08-11 10:03 PM

Was the kit installed into a set of non-HID headlights? If so, are you getting any glare? My GS came w/o HID and I'm wondering whether to take the HID kit route or the HID projector retrofit route...

sgvGS3 05-08-11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by chu927 (Post 6373468)
Was the kit installed into a set of non-HID headlights? If so, are you getting any glare? My GS came w/o HID and I'm wondering whether to take the HID kit route or the HID projector retrofit route...

its all about personal preference. i had the same setup as you when i bought my car and i wanted hids so i went with just a 9006 set. you just have to make sure you get a good brand and not something thats going to die out in 2 months. now that i have had them for some time i am upgrading to projectors. dont get me wrong, the output on my hids are great and i wouldn't go back to regular halogens. do your homework and shop around :thumbup:

Clear2Cloz 05-08-11 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by lexybaby77 (Post 6373229)
I've read on another forum that the low are 9006 and the highs are the 9005 lights. You need to run separate kits with separate ballast for both and you have to disable the DRL's. The fogs are the same as the low beams on separate kit as well. My only issue is I don't want to disable my DRL's. I'm wondering if I just put a regular white non-HID bulbs on the high beams so the DRL's and low beams kinda match (at least not yellow)....

You can definately go that route, although no matter what bulb you put in, your DRLs will still be yellow-ish considering they are running at 1/4 the wattage. On the other hand, your high beams will not be yellow-ish, they will have the crytak white look with a hint of blue.

Originally Posted by chu927 (Post 6373468)

I was originally looking into a retro but decided I wanted to see how they look in a halogen housing before shelling out the $. To my surprise the glare isnt bad at all and they have a very nice cutoff. I have a 3GS as well with factory HIDs, you can definately tell the difference with the beam coming out of a projector, but all in all the HID conversion kit in the 2GS looks 100 times better than i would have thought. The visibility at night is 200 times better than any halogen.

On dark roads which I used to use my high beams I dont have to any more, and I can see basically as far as the road goes :D

Definately satisfied with the install. :woot:

If you want to see how they look in person order the ddm kit. Even if you hate the way they look, you only spent 30 bucks :D

chu927 05-09-11 12:07 AM

You guys have valid points. I was only worried because when I installed an HID kit into my 96 240sx, lights were just shooting everywhere that I had no choice but to do a retro. That was like 6 years ago.

Now that HID kits are so cheap, I can always try it first and then decide if I want to upgrade to a retro.

Thanks for the tip!

whytry 05-09-11 11:45 AM

I got my kits!! HID fogs 8k and replace the factory HID's with the 8k D2s... I got a whole new kit ballast and all, has anybody replaced everything with this new setup or if you have factory HID do you just change the bulb's?

THX in advance

carbongs 05-09-11 12:43 PM

yeah i've been running their 55w slims for about a year now had their 35w for a few years before. love them for the price just installed a set on my truck

whytry 05-09-11 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by carbongs (Post 6374875)
yeah i've been running their 55w slims for about a year now had their 35w for a few years before. love them for the price just installed a set on my truck

Is that meant for me the yeah? Did you replace the whole stock HID setup or just the bulbs??

KingNasGS4 05-09-11 06:01 PM

Some people definitely looked down on those of us that had HID in non HID housing because it was "obnoxious", bright, allover the place, and inconsiderate. Those are some words I have read on here BTW.

I changed my standard halogen lights to HID and I am very satisfied with how much more I can now see. I am hoping that there is a way to angle the reflector bowls downward. I have tried turning the knob but haven't seen much difference.