GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

which are the best wheel locks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 02:39 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chin
I'm not knocking your decision, but those look easier to remove than regular lexus wheel locks.
Actually you are knocking my decision. You're right the regular Spline Drives can be taken off with a Gator Grip socket if it fits in the lug nut well of the wheel.

That's why if you bothered to READ what I posted and scrolled to the bottom of the SplineDrive page you'll see the weight-matched Spline Drive WHEEL LOCKS I have on my car as well.

Take those same Vise-Grips and try to take THAT off my car.

http://www.mcgard.com/AutomotiveProd...neDriveLugNuts
Old 04-06-11, 03:55 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Agreed! However, my decision for these wheel locks were such because they are very recessed into the (holes) wheels; if they stuck out a little this may not have been my wheel lock of choice. BTW, the splines on these locks are not pronounced enough to use a chisel or something else to grip...they are very rounded.
Originally Posted by BossGS4
Actually you are knocking my decision. You're right the regular Spline Drives can be taken off with a Gator Grip socket if it fits in the lug nut well of the wheel.

That's why if you bothered to READ what I posted and scrolled to the bottom of the SplineDrive page you'll see the weight-matched Spline Drive WHEEL LOCKS I have on my car as well.

Take those same Vise-Grips and try to take THAT off my car.

http://www.mcgard.com/AutomotiveProd...neDriveLugNuts

Once again, I am not knocking your decision and I did read the entire thread & links. We are all in the same boat. I just bought a set of wheels and of course I will be purchasing a set of wheel locks, that's why I entered this thread in the first place. The OEM wheel locks are a joke, if they are overtightened by a technician and/or they haven't been removed in a while (especially in areas with real winters). Either the key or the wheel lock itself will break. I've seen it countless times.

As far as those aftermarket locks, or any lock for that matter. IF you have a 6 or 12 point impact socket slightly larger than the wheel lock itself and can physically fit into the recess of the wheel, hammer it on over the wheel lock and it's only a matter of time before the wheel lock will come off. I've never had a wheel lock take more than a few tries or a little over 2 or so minutes using this method. Those wheel locks with the splines just provide more grip for the socket which is bad. The only real savior is if you have a wheel style with a really recessed and tight tunnel to put your lug nuts in.

The name of the game is just making life hard for thieves, but if your wheels are nice enough, they will just take the car (tow truck) and figure the rest out later...

But if you really have faith in your locks, I'll fly to where you are located, you can meet me at your local airport... We can have a 15 minute challenge, if I successfully remove your wheel locks withing 15 minutes I get to keep your wheels + you pay for my airfare. If I don't remove them, I will pay you in cash whatever your wheels & tires cost. Let me know...
Old 04-06-11, 04:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Do we need to prove our points that far? LOL. Chillax guys.
Old 04-06-11, 04:35 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This guy is not the brightest, but even he makes it look easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUUyjJqk5A
Old 04-06-11, 05:58 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best wheel lock, "weld them" on there. Find a different way to take them off.

Your welcome
Old 08-29-17, 08:30 PM
StephenFor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well look like a long time now but I'm finding a good one. Find some good one on amazon and on this one https://innovatecar.com/best-wheel-locks/ they pick the Genuine Subaru B321SFG000 Wheel Lock Kit. I think I gonna choose McGard 24538 Chrome Cone Seat Wheel Locks. Let see how it work.
Old 09-18-17, 01:03 AM
Bambusiero
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Chin said, there may be no point to putting on wheel locks.
There are ways of turning the lock-nuts without the key tool.
There is a special lug nut "easy-off" tool that grips down on anything by biting in with hardened teeth on it's inside surface.
You place it over the lock and hammer it down until it has bitten in, then wrench it off.
I would assume that any competent thief would know about that, right?

Your wheel locks will deter the stupid tweeker meth-heads though. That's something.

Last edited by Bambusiero; 09-18-17 at 01:07 AM.