GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 09:16 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone know of a DIY?
Old 05-06-12, 02:04 PM
chubz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im going to be doing mine within the next few weeks.if no1 has a diy by then, i will do 1.
Old 05-06-12, 10:27 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

YEs please!
Old 05-07-12, 02:25 AM
christodav
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a bit scared that we need to do a DIY guide on this job to be quite honest? I think almost everything has been stated so far and Youtube is your friend in these cases.

Also, don't use a screwdriver to crack the pan off, use a thin scraper. The kind of thing you use for BBQing. You run the risk of damaging either the sump surface or the pan surface with a driver.

I use a razor blade and prepsol to clean the old silicon off the edges.
Use rags and clean the whole pan ultra clean before applying the gasket material and reinstalling.
Old 05-07-12, 12:23 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find. After my last oil change my mechanic said I have developed a small leak in my oil pan gasket as well. I have 103k miles.

They want like $400 + for labor and parts for this...

Can anyone do a parts list and DIY writeup, if not done already?
Old 05-07-12, 01:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
Nice find. After my last oil change my mechanic said I have developed a small leak in my oil pan gasket as well. I have 103k miles.

you know there has been one done...its not like our cars are new (i keep telling people almost nothing hasnt been documented on here for our cars) noone looks for anything anymore on this side of the boards.

there is a parts list (if u just have a leak u just need the FIPG though) and DIY in here.....while your in their adjust the dial and replace the transmission filter (if u read the thread there are part #'s for all of these items in there)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-dial.html
Old 05-07-12, 03:52 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sakataj
you know there has been one done...its not like our cars are new (i keep telling people almost nothing hasnt been documented on here for our cars) noone looks for anything anymore on this side of the boards.

there is a parts list (if u just have a leak u just need the FIPG though) and DIY in here.....while your in their adjust the dial and replace the transmission filter (if u read the thread there are part #'s for all of these items in there)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-dial.html
Appreciate it.
Old 05-07-12, 04:17 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

$400 are you kidding? They must give you a new oil pan if not forget it. Its just matter of draining the oil, take out all the oil pan bolts, take off old gasket if it has one if not buy gasket maker and put the pan back up done.

Originally Posted by PushinLEX

Old 05-07-12, 04:42 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
$400 are you kidding? They must give you a new oil pan if not forget it. Its just matter of draining the oil, take out all the oil pan bolts, take off old gasket if it has one if not buy gasket maker and put the pan back up done.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-23-12, 02:24 PM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to replace the lower pan gasket on an 02 IS i just bought. i see they sell a gasket but i see some people saying not to use the gasket & use the FIPG. which is best or should i use both?
Old 11-15-12, 07:17 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for disussing this. I went out a bought a felpro gasket from AutoZone, but it turns out by reading several post that it's actually an FIPG.
Old 11-15-12, 08:09 AM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

i did mine. it wasn't that hard just time consuming. after trying to fight the back 6 bolts out & even making a new tool i ended up unbolting the motor mounts & lifting the motor to right before the studs of the mounts came out. that came me plenty room to get those bolts out & back in with no problem. make sure you take you time & clean off all the old FIPG. the reason mine was leaking is because whoever did it before me didn't use the right FIPG & didn't clean all the old stuff off.
Old 11-15-12, 08:23 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2GS300 not IS250

Originally Posted by RPMGraphic
i did mine. it wasn't that hard just time consuming. after trying to fight the back 6 bolts out & even making a new tool i ended up unbolting the motor mounts & lifting the motor to right before the studs of the mounts came out. that came me plenty room to get those bolts out & back in with no problem. make sure you take you time & clean off all the old FIPG. the reason mine was leaking is because whoever did it before me didn't use the right FIPG & didn't clean all the old stuff off.
I havent read where the back six bolts were hard to get to on the 2GS300, hopefully this is just isolated to the IS as you mentioned you own in your earlier post. Thanks for the feeback and heads up about the getting the old FIPG off.
Old 11-15-12, 08:32 AM
RPMGraphic
Driver School Candidate

i didn't even realize this was in the GS section, LOL!!!! hopefully it's not like the 2jz motor. good luck!!!
Old 11-15-12, 09:09 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

last time i bottomed out after going through a big dip. no leak but dented the oil pan o.O lets see that DIY fellas!

Quick Reply: DIY oil pan gasket?