GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Roof molding trim - coming off, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 01:09 AM
octechgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof molding trim - coming off, need advise

I'm referring to the roof molding or trim piece that is 1" wide and runs from the front windshield all the way to the back windshield. So the problem is, mine is lifting in the middle, is this normal or are they suppose to be tightly snapped in? If tightly snapped in, would anyone know who those clips work? Do you have pictures?

I've already done the search and only found a tread talking about leakage, another discuss on how it's a sticker and can be peeled off. Nothing on how to work with the weird looking clips.

This tread talks about how to remove, I need how to snap the molding back to fit tightly.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-moldings.html

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks i advance guys.
Old 10-10-15, 09:22 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old post but did you ever find an answer to this question. I had to have my windshield replaced on my 1998 GS400 and they had to remove the trim and drill out the rivits and remove the clips from the sides of the windshield. Windshield went in good but that is where everything has become a nightmare. The windshield was replaced 9/2/15 and they ended up having to order new sets of clips both front and rear, and both trim pieces from Lexus dealership. He could not get the trim to snap back into place and it kept popping up in the roof portion as they would be getting close to getting it fully installed and pop, there it goes. The windshield guy spent about 1 1/2 hours until he gave up when he looked back at the trim and saw a series of dings in the trim from banging on it to try and get it to snap in place. The cost of all that is around $1200 and took just shy of a month for the parts to finally arive at the dealership. Guess the parts had to come from all over the globe since there are limited stock and they had to hunt them down and ship them to the dealer. I guess the 3N1 (cinnabar red) makes it even that much harder to find. wel the installer came back out with all new parts fresh from Lexus and installed the new sets of clips and proceeded to install the trim. After two more hours he surrendered to the trim and called the supervisor who made an appointment for me to take the car into the shop since he was the guy who knew how it was done. Well, three hours at the window installer finally ended with three installers working on it, trim not on right, dents in the new trim pieces which they just paid $496 each for and they ordered new trim from the dealership along with the clips that go in the groove on the roof. He just apologized over and over and said when the parts show up again if I would be willing to drop the car off for the day because they may just lay to have the local body shop that Lexus sends their work to do the installation and they would pay the bill. All I know is I am not paying for anything but my deductible from my auto insurance who is crying about the $1634 cost of the windshield replacement from the shop they only like to use and guarantee the work. i feel bad for the guys working on it, just for some reason my car is just not behaving for anyone. So at this point I left the glass shop and just old them I would see them in a month or so if they find the parts again. I have just been trying to find any information so maybe I can figure this out myself. As I sit now I have the old trim and clips in the garage, the new ones on the car (kind of) and new ones in the process of being located. And I have still not paid the deductible and am curious to see their reaction when I hit them up for a detail or damage repair if the do any more damage to the paint. I now have hairline scratches on my hood and roof from where they were working.

And all this because after ten years I finally started letting my wife drive my car and on the way to work a rock hit the windshield and shattered it.