GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best way to put heated seats in non-heated models?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 10:40 AM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best way to put heated seats in non-heated models?

Unfortunately my GS didn't come with heated seats and after searching i also didn't find any useful info on this so....

Would it be better to find all the oem parts to make it have heated seats? Or is it better to just find a place/shop that can do it with aftermarket parts?

Has anyone experienced this situation before and done something about it? There has to be.

I'd be down to pay like maybe no more than $350 to have this feature.
Old 02-23-11, 11:07 AM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think leatherseats.com might offer something related close to that.
Old 02-23-11, 09:46 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

i remember sakataj had a problem with his heating coils in the seats so im guessing he has a little bit of experience in this subject or he can at point u in the right direction. No harm in sending him a pm. Hope tht helps
Old 02-24-11, 09:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kzem
i remember sakataj had a problem with his heating coils in the seats so im guessing he has a little bit of experience in this subject or he can at point u in the right direction. No harm in sending him a pm. Hope tht helps
no PM needed im here....

i saw this yesterday but didnt have a chance to answer it. yeah i def had a problem with mine but its not this issue...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-warmer-2.html

although this issue did help me get familiar with the seat heaters and how they are built/designed. they are built into a 2 piece design, sewn into the seats. so the bottom element is a separate element from the back element. i didnt replace mine cause the dealership wouldnt cover it and the part was like 1100 not including installing it.

i swear i remember reading where a member bought heated seats and the heated console but i cant find the thread now, i ALSO dont know if this worked or not off the top of my head. you can also check with leatherseats.com and this company http://www.heatedseatkits.com/heatedseatkits/index.html

IMHO the OEM ones suck anyways....and people share this thought, should have a variable setting on them for sure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hip-issue.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...at-heater.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-question.html

i DO like them when they are working (as of right now, ONLY the passenger side is working) but when/IF i change to black leather i will re-install heated seats for sure. yes i know some parts of CA get cold but come on man, your in CALI not Detroit, just turn the heater on and suck it up
Old 02-24-11, 10:44 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way is to get the seats with heaters and the console switch. Add the fuse to the pass kick panel. The seats & console is plug & play.

The other way is to get an aftermarket heating element and install it into your existing seats. This involves removing the seat covers. Since the wiring is already in place, you can connect the heating element to the OE seat heater wires.
Old 02-24-11, 08:37 PM
Kzem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
i DO like them when they are working (as of right now, ONLY the passenger side is working) but when/IF i change to black leather i will re-install heated seats for sure. yes i know some parts of CA get cold but come on man, your in CALI not Detroit, just turn the heater on and suck it up
Hopefully mine last the life of the car "knock on wood". lol if they went out you wouldnt be able to use that argument on me. But yea that was deff some good info, like every1s older brother

Last edited by Kzem; 02-24-11 at 10:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 02-24-11, 10:04 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
The easiest way is to get the seats with heaters and the console switch. Add the fuse to the pass kick panel. The seats & console is plug & play.

The other way is to get an aftermarket heating element and install it into your existing seats. This involves removing the seat covers. Since the wiring is already in place, you can connect the heating element to the OE seat heater wires.
I've tried this myself and it works. If you put heated seats in a GS without heated seats it is plug and play. Add the seat heater switches on the center console and it works. Every GS is prewired for heated seats.