GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starting to get pissed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 09:03 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting to get pissed

It just seems like it's one thing after another with my car. Started the car up today after getting back from a driver to OC and the whining really started to get loud and higher pitched. What do you think it could be? It sounds like a bad supercharger and only really makes sound from about 1k-2.5k rpms. It's starting to get really annoying putting all this money into this car and it still not being what i want. Hope this is nothing to major.

Posted a video, you can definitely here the sound pretty well! And remember, this all started RIGHT after i got my timing belt, water pump etc. replaced. It just started sounding worse tonight.

Also, i changed my oil and filter yesterday. Drained everything and put on a new mobil 1 filter with a little over 5.5 quarts of oil. And the freaking dipstick reads that it's Low! Like very low, only about 1/2" up the actual dipstick.

Old 02-19-11, 09:18 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my car whined like that, it ended up being the alternator. It was also after a long drive. I'd get that checked first.
Old 02-19-11, 09:36 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
When my car whined like that, it ended up being the alternator. It was also after a long drive. I'd get that checked first.
Is that a frequent problem in the 2GS models? Haven't heard of anything thus far.
Old 02-19-11, 09:39 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard something about the power steering pumps on the 1uz's leaking small amounts which drip right into the alternator ultimately leading to it's failure. I don't know how much truth is there, but mine went out at ~150k so I felt it served it's purpose.
Old 02-19-11, 09:41 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the oem belt, or gatorback or some other company ?

Chances are its not your belt, but some cheaper companies end up having this problem even if its brand new. Thats why when the mechanic installs the belt, then they place some oily substance to prevent the noises. But after a few start ups the sound comes back.

It could also be due to the cold, but where you are located I dont think it gets 'cold' ever (i.e below 0).

As for not being happy, this is something maintenace related so its not something to really worry about.

Just imagine when you get your supercharger, and then something goes wrong ...

Last edited by NVTHSLEX; 02-19-11 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-19-11, 09:50 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

check that power steering fluid?
Old 02-19-11, 09:51 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. It might be the alternator because i noticed some type of fluid leaking into it. Didn't really look like oil, might be from power steering pump. I hope it something that won't cost too much. This car has literally taken ALL of my money. But could also be the belts, because it made this sound the day after i got my timing belt replaced. I bought the timing belt kit from FCP Groton, i don't think it was OEM. Bad idea
Old 02-19-11, 09:55 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i know whenever mine gets low in my sc it does that
Old 02-19-11, 10:04 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by willhickey
i know whenever mine gets low in my sc it does that
It's at the right level. Changed it about 8k ago too.
Old 02-19-11, 10:19 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

You can do a volt test and see if it is actually the alternator... and visual as mentioned in the posts above with the oil.

For the belt, better to go with oem or gatorback. Gatorback is not that expensive, I think its $20.

As for the GS taking all your money, you are not alone .
Old 02-19-11, 10:56 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Just an educated guess. Check for bad grounds such as ground for amps, accessories, engine ground, alternator ground anything related to ground. You are gonna need a voltmeter.
Old 02-20-11, 10:15 AM
OT0814
Lead Lap

yo TL i think this may explain it a bit. I think you just need to check your grounds(especially if you are running amps and a whole bunch of electronics) but heres a link from crutchfield that kind of explains it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OoFbRtO...ech/kb348.html

also like they said about the power steering one of my friends in the army was a toyota tech and he said on the GS that he noticed that they leak power steering fluid. this was a while back when i was searching for my car and he wasnt specific as to which gs leaks but from what everyone is saying it could be a combo of the two. Good luck. and on a sidenote i dont think it will be expensive to fix this. worst case new alternator. Just doing a quick search online seems like they were about 200 so hopefully thats not it... If you do need a new alternator let me know and one of my cousins works at discount auto i might be able to get you one if you want.
Old 02-20-11, 12:12 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

As far as checking the ground goes, i really have no idea where to start. I just find it weird that this happened right after i got my car back from the mechanic. He told me that one of my pully's was going bad and that's what was making the noise. BS?

Would buying an aftermarket grounding kit help with this? Because honestly, i have no idea what i'm doing as far as electrical stuff so i have no idea where to look for a bad ground or even use a multimeter. Give me a wrench and a bolt and i can fix things, give me a wire and i'm clueless! haha
Old 02-20-11, 12:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

its the supercharger hehe jk
Old 02-20-11, 12:30 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
its the supercharger hehe jk
See, that would actually be cool if it was. But since it isn't...

Also, Does anybody know what's up with the oil? Might be the dipstick came out a little bit since i had to remove it for the header install.

Quick Reply: Starting to get pissed