GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 02:11 PM
HpyFunBall
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Post 2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics

I needed to replace the blown stock sub on my '03, and took a few pictures along the way to help anyone else who needs to do this as well.

I tried to focus on the parts that aren't as obvious the first time you do it. A few notes:
- The project took me about 3 hours, because I am was going very slow since I am good at hitting my paint/tint/leather with sharp objects when I rush.
- I have seen some minor differences in the back deck on different 2GS's, but mine is a '03 430 Navi if it matters.
- I am fairly new to CLF, but the best way I found to attach photos puts them at the bottom of the post, so they are numbered to match the basic instructions below.
- The only tools I needed were a flat head screwdriver, hammer, socket wrench and extension with 12mm (for seats) and 10mm (sub) sockets.
- My local dealer wanted roughly $350 for the sub, and $300 to install. I decided to go with stock as it is decent and I didn't want to tackle the custom amp, brackets, etc. others have done, and NPR doesn't need that much bass (yes, i'm old). Oh, and $300 to install a sub seemed crazy to me, so here we go:
  1. 1 - Remove the seat by pulling up on the seat next to the red circled clips then pulling forward after those are loose.
  2. 2 - The back of the seat has four bolts holding it at the bottom (circled), you do not need to remove the seat belt system, so leave those alone. It is a LOT easier to work around the belts than to remove and reinstall them.
  3. 3 - Push up the headrests and pull up the flap to expose the nuts holding the top of the seat to the car.
  4. 4 - Now you can pull up slightly and push the seat forward.
  5. 5 - These trim pieces come off by getting your finger or screwdriver under the bottom of the front edge, and pulling straight out toward the middle of the car as shown. Keep gently pulling to remove the rest of the panel. This takes a good bit of force to start, but is easy after that. Be patient during reassembly of this part, it can take a few minutes to get back in and lined up.
  6. 6 - Next, remove the back deck. On my '03 there are three hooks with plastic covers. You can push off the covers with your fingers (pull up on the front edge farthest from the hole in the cover). Next use your socket to remove these. Then remove the three plastic retainers using a flathead or other flat surface under the deck. The deck is only thin fiberboard, so don't put much stress on hit, keep the stress on the plastic retainer.
  7. 7 - This is the black plastic padding behind the seat and above the deck. It is held at the back of the car by similar plastic clips as you just removed up front. I was able to unscrew these part way then use a hammer to gently tap them out from in the trunk.
  8. 8 - Gently peel back the plastic cover and padding (it is all one unit) until it starts to go behind the seats where more clips will hold it in place.
  9. 9 - Now you can get to the sub. Undo the four bolts holding it in, and use the screwdriver to pry up the connector out of the body (arrow).
  10. 10 - Install your new sub, reconnect the amp, TEST IT, then put it all back together!
Attached Thumbnails 2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-01.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-02.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-03.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-04.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-05.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by HpyFunBall:
EJavierM (03-17-17), paulr1 (09-14-19), VandyLex (10-28-20)
Old 02-12-11, 02:11 PM
HpyFunBall
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rest of the pics

rest of the pics
Attached Thumbnails 2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-06.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-07.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-08.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-09.jpg   2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics-lexsub-10.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by HpyFunBall:
oldkystude (10-22-23), paulr1 (09-14-19), VandyLex (10-28-20)
Old 02-12-11, 07:06 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

nice right up! i did this when i put my aftermarket sub in too.
Old 02-12-11, 07:26 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.
I will be taping into the sub wires for my amp this summer and its good to see what is under the rear deck. Although my sub is fine adding a small box and amp for a tad more bass.
Old 02-12-11, 07:36 PM
Htowncory
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great How To post!
Old 02-13-11, 05:58 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just did this today the Pillars are the hardest part took my sub out since I havent used it
I added a aftermarket subwoofer setup this year and before that had pioneer head unit installed with no amp so it wasnt being used
took it out to let some more bass come into the car
Old 02-14-11, 12:37 AM
warfrik
Driver School Candidate

Great write up. This should be a sticky.
Old 02-14-11, 06:12 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

Great DIY write up!
Old 02-14-11, 08:06 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by warfrik
Great write up. This should be a sticky.
the reason its NOT a sticky is because someone posted a DIY YEARS AGO WITH pics also...

his name was bananas and ITS IN THE STICKIES

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-search.html

and in that thread you will find this

http://bananags.grantham-internation...DIY/rear_deck/

WELCOME to the club though OP. if u search 99.9% of everything is on here, most of it is already a sticky

DEBBIE DOWNER STRIKES AGAIN

BTW dont use a hammer to remove the pins just buy a cheap $12 interior panel puller to remove the pins

Last edited by sakataj; 02-14-11 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AirRideFan (05-07-18)
Old 02-14-11, 10:05 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

99.915843% information found on club lexus if properly searched for. i googled it. lol
Old 02-15-11, 09:29 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brian, why do you have to poop on everyone's post? Just saying...like your a self proclaimed Moderator of 2nd Gen GS...LOL
Old 02-15-11, 09:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Brian, why do you have to poop on everyone's post? Just saying...like your a self proclaimed Moderator of 2nd Gen GS...LOL
lol...i dont poop on EVERYONE's post but its annoying as hell to see repetition every day,every week,every month on here.yes it was a good new post for a user but you would think you would look on here before doing this.....i mean our youngest 2ND gen is 5 years old and the oldest is 13 years old, your REALLY think none of us have ever replaced a sub ourselves?

not trying to be a self proclaimed moderator at all.

i like how people complain bout people reposting and then the same people complain when i just tell the OP to search YET when i ask them to search and give them examples and show them how to find things like dave asked i STILL am getting gripped at about it. OP this last post has nothing to do with you so dont take it personally

it's DEF a lose-lose-lose situation in the 2nd gen section lately
Old 02-15-11, 10:24 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

K, B, almost everyones...hahaha..I do appreciate it when you do it on the lame posts...but this one is at least a good thread.
Old 02-15-11, 10:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedaddic
K, B, almost everyones...hahaha..I do appreciate it when you do it on the lame posts...but this one is at least a good thread.
it is and i said it was a good thread BUT IT IS A REPOST, which could have been found in nigel's thread and i linked to it for future reference
Old 02-15-11, 11:09 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

The problem with the older posts are sometimes members have come and gone and taken their pictures with them....just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (07-28-22)

Quick Reply: 2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics