GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 03:36 AM
JohanH
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
My ML sub's foam ring is also separating from the outer edge... rattles and sounds like crap.
I fixed mine with a new foam surround from ebay.
Perfect fit and probably cheaper than difficult to find replacement

Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-17-17, 05:46 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

My ML sub's foam ring is also separating from the outer edge... rattles and sounds like crap.

I did a lot of reading on the many threads in this section, but they go back YEARS .... and all the recommended replacements on here seem to be discontinued ... :/

We need some UPDATED sub recommendations!!
It's not necessary to replace the entire speaker. You can just replace the surround. See post #43.

The ML subwoofer isn't too bad once the surround is in one piece. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the speaker and you know it fits, won't damage the amp and that the amp has enough power to make it work. None of these is certain when you replace.

Since I replaced the surround, I noticed some fuzziness in the bass. I coated the underside of the rear deck with
sound deadener sound deadener
and it made a terrific difference. Bass notes are much cleaner now.

Last edited by natman; 07-17-17 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 08:27 AM
afgcfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for this write up!

I'm tired of going to all the DIY that are stickied on the sub to see that none of the pictures load up, this write up is refreshing and well appreciated. Don't worry about anyone saying its a REPOST because a lot of the old sticky DIYs have expired pics and are useless.
Old 07-18-17, 04:09 PM
JonGS3
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I did a lot of reading on the many threads in this section, but they go back YEARS .... and all the recommended replacements on here seem to be discontinued ... :/

We need some UPDATED sub recommendations!!

I'm on the hunt for a replacement too. Do you happen to know how much power the stock amp puts out?
Old 07-18-17, 09:01 PM
English66
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just repaired my ML 10 in Woofer. Will drop in and test in the morning..
Old 07-22-17, 01:32 AM
Kwoteman
Driver School Candidate

Default Kool beans

Thanks for the instructions. I think I am going to remove the sub box from the trunk and go with a free air sub (gonna keep the amp tho)
Old 10-07-17, 09:21 PM
adipose
Driver School Candidate

Best guide online.

Notes for idiots like me

Originally Posted by HpyFunBall
2 - The back of the seat has four bolts holding it at the bottom (circled), ...
REMOVE these bolts. For some reason, this wasn't obvious to me...

3- Push up the headrests and pull up the flap to expose the nuts holding the top of the seat to the car.
REMOVE them...

While doing 6, the center brake light must be disconnected. It is not easy to observe until you pull forward 10 inches or so.
6...Then remove the three plastic retainers using a flathead or other flat surface under the deck
Not needed. It can hang from these.

7 - This is the black plastic padding behind the seat and above the deck. It is held at the back of the car by similar plastic clips as you just removed up front. I was able to unscrew these part way then use a hammer to gently tap them out from in the trunk.
No need to remove these. In 2001 GS300, they cannot be access by hammer from trunk. But, the black plastic stretches enough to simply "unhook" from these plastic clips.

Also, for $23 you can probably repair the sub.
Old 10-08-17, 10:01 AM
insyder
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's another approach:

Stock sub was dunzo, so time to smash!

Trying to get this...

Gotta get the finish cutting done...
Old 10-08-17, 10:02 AM
insyder
Rookie

Finished product.

Dat ***...

Old 10-08-17, 10:04 AM
insyder
Rookie

Bolts right in!!!

Looks OEM, but not.
Dual voice coil, bridged for her pleasure.

Then the covers go back on...
The following users liked this post:
paulr1 (09-13-19)
Old 10-08-17, 10:10 AM
insyder
Rookie

Now I will say, I'm not happy with this setup.
The rear desk is too weak to mount up anything with significant power. With this setup, when it really gets to breathing and you hit a low 30hz note you get almost as much rattle and flex from the deck shelf as you do output from the sub. So if you REALLY want to go this route, just plan to reinforce the shelf with welded in steel or glued/bolted wood/MDF to reduce flex.

So I'll be ripping this out, plugging it back up and doing a baffle board against the back seat with 2 or 3 woofers over the winter.
Old 10-08-17, 10:33 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a very similar experience. Even with a shallow 10 I used. Just too much rattle and noise from low notes and I even had a MDF bracket made for the subwoofer...
Old 05-05-18, 08:11 PM
MJK
Rookie

Thanks OP!

The replacement foam did the trick and the GS is rattle free! If you are like me and are w/o trunk spoiler, taking out the 3rd brake light will likely shake loose a filament or two if they are, say, 16 years old or so. They are 168 bulbs and I swapped all 5. Ordering them online in advance would have saved me a few bucks. Also, trim removal tools are a must if you want to re-use the plastic clips.
Old 05-29-18, 11:53 PM
ungern
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,

Awesome guide, thank you for putting this up there, OP. Just cracked my sub yesterday (age got to it I guess) and need to glue it or replace, this post will be very helpful for that de-assembly.

Regards
/ungern
Old 08-23-19, 01:04 AM
ungern
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Long time, horrible work

So, some months ago I finalized replacing the foam... The actual worst part of ht work is trying to remove the foam from the cone. Despite soaking the old foam edge in rubbing alcohol, most of the time I got the cone paper with me as well, almost ruining the cone, i.e. nowhere to glue the foam. Managed to avoid total chaos, but this is a job I'll hopefully never have to do again. Nerve wrecking.

The glue provided with the replacement foam from Springfield Speaker Repair was was less than comfortable for good coverage.

Another part one can mess up, is reinstalling the back of the seat. The screws can easily make new threads in the chassis, i.e. mess up the existing threads, ruining the attachment. I lost one of the lower ones.

My kid helping out

This is just not a job for normal people

Finally done
The following users liked this post:
paulr1 (09-13-19)

Quick Reply: 2GS Stock Subwoofer Replacement w/ pics