GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cracked Front Lip

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 01:41 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, aero kits don't spontaneously self-destruct. It would take some impact to break it, whether it is a soft bump or a hard impact.

To be fair, some bumper designs put on a lot of stress to certain areas and develope small cracks over time. Moreover, crappy polyurethane parts can deform under heat and stress as well. But in both cases, they don't spontaneously self destruct
Old 02-08-11, 01:52 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I looked at the threads and the Greddy aero could be of dubious quality. The common misconception here are (a) its an authentic kit, it must fit like OEM parts and/or indestructible (b) all polyurethane parts are the best by default, which is far from true. The layperson that doesn't know about the manufacturing process of aero kits and composites might assume so.

But in inspite of that, that doesn't justify the OP to demand a refund from a vendor and libeling him.
I 100% agree, i bought an authentic RMM kit including the spoiler and it fit like crap. The Polyurethane was very flexable but I guess the mold which was used was flawed. I guess the lesson learned is all polyurethane used is not the same.

I am a little biased, I recently bought a faulty set of Stance coilover which I demanded a refund. I will never buy another thing from Stance again. The mounting hardware were wrong, they were too short, and one was blown. Of course, OP case is different but I hate to see people go through things like this no matter whoes fault it is.
Old 02-08-11, 01:53 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Also, aero kits don't spontaneously self-destruct. It would take some impact to break it, whether it is a soft bump or a hard impact.

To be fair, some bumper designs put on a lot of stress to certain areas and develope small cracks over time. Moreover, crappy polyurethane parts can deform under heat and stress as well. But in both cases, they don't spontaneously self destruct
Agreed

We can't be so quick to blame the consumer. Yes, some consumers are full of crap and lie but I guess we will see won't we. If I broke it then I will eat it, but not everyone is as honest.

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-08-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 02:23 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nar8ta
I 100% agree, i bought an authentic RMM kit including the spoiler and it fit like crap. The Polyurethane was very flexable but I guess the mold which was used was flawed. I guess the lesson learned is all polyurethane used is not the same.

I am a little biased, I recently bought a faulty set of Stance coilover which I demanded a refund. I will never buy another thing from Stance again. The mounting hardware were wrong, they were too short, and one was blown. Of course, OP case is different but I hate to see people go through things like this no matter whoes fault it is.
People erroneously equate "polyurethane" with the fitment of oem parts without realizing that the the costs of the tooling to make such parts is in the tens of thousands of dollars. In the aftermarket world,very few companies have the technical capabilities to produce them correctly and there's a small clientele that could afford them. Think of TechART for Porsche and such and how much they cost. They go for about $6,000 for a front bumper alone!!!

On the flipside, polyurethane is not a veryforgiving material as opposed to fiberglass. If a mold isnt right, then it would be difficult, if not almost impossible, to alter it to fit correctly. There are other issues with bad polyurethane parts as well. Poor quality ones can be brittle and/or not thermally set, which means that it can warp and deform under heat and stress.

So for aero kits that are priced for mere mortals like most of us, fiberglass is the ideal material. High quality fiberglass parts can be as flexible and light and oem polyurethane parts AND be easier to fix and work with. Given the aforemetioned cons, cheap urethane parts are just a marketing gimmick and is can be as bad as cheap fiberglass parts.
Old 02-08-11, 02:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

OP has not been on since 2/3 and this thread is going downhill. Guys, please no more IBTL posts and don't make us write up a new forum rule... they're useless and bump problematic threads that should be waiting for a useful reply or moderator review. Report the thread if there is an issue instead of contributing to the problem.

I've personally had a Greddy lip get cracked on my old GS (pic below) as have other members. The thing is tiny cow catcher in front of your car; its eventually going to get damaged or broken.

There are so many variables involved that there is realistically no way to figure out if the OP hit something or had something strike his car, manufacturing defect, etc.

I think Luxurymods's offer of a replacement at their cost was reasonable given the unknown circumstances of the issue, especially given the OP's name calling and accusations in this thread.