GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

To all you battery OG's out there.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 12:46 PM
Dscustoms
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinetic. And it's the only choice. Optimas just don't provide the extra power you want. Might as well just get a stock battery. Kinetics are excellent, I've used them for years in spl vehicles without issues while other batteries have failed my friends. There is a reason almost every competitor is using them these days.
Old 01-28-11, 06:58 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrezo
Hey Man,

I always think about it when i see your sig..... How is the feel with the strut tower bar? Noticeable difference in the corners?

thanks
dont really notice anything but i didnt pay attention to how it felt before i put it on either

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I read your thread Brian.. And to be honest i'm beyond confused, lol, so just to clarify.. It WILL fit with the stock battery tray under the hood? Or will I have to look for a new battery tray or something? I got totally confused in the thread when you said it will fit to other people, but then went with the FIGS tray that they made you, lol..

So just wanna know before I go and buy the beast.. Will it direct fit on OEM battery tray or no? If not, what do I need to go buy to get it to fit?

Thanks broham and sorry, lol, i'm sure you've explained this a million kajillion times and are tired of explaining..
i guess that could be confusing.....

i was using the yellow top optima and it sat fairly low so i had figs make me the battery tray to raise the yellow tops height(my setup looked exactly like abel's even with the clear battery holder as i bought one from him)

anyways when i progressed into my audio build i wanted a bigger/better battery so i went with the kinetik hc2400 in the trunk. i debated for awhile putting a hc2400 underhood also but per the old post noone could tell me if it would fit so i bought the hc1800 to put under the hood. well i took it upon myself to find out....this should help clarify i think

the results

YES the hc1800 will fit underhood in the stock battery tray but you will have to either use different battery terminals like i have or it will hit the hood or remove the battery box and it fits with no issues.

YES the hc2400 will fit underhood nicely without the battery box
Old 01-28-11, 07:21 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha thanks bro for the clarification. I was just like huh? When I was reading through that thread, lol. Much appreciated man and i'll be sure to pick that battery up in the next couple of months then.

Thanks for all your help man.
Old 05-23-11, 05:16 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Im looking into getting a new battery, but these optimas are wayyyy too expensive. Any other suggestions? It seems like my system and viper alarm are draining my energizer battery and I have to replace it every year.
Old 05-23-11, 07:21 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Optima yellow top for me. Loved it. A lot of startup power!
Old 05-23-11, 09:07 PM
rotorsownu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dscustoms
Kinetic. And it's the only choice. Optimas just don't provide the extra power you want. Might as well just get a stock battery. Kinetics are excellent, I've used them for years in spl vehicles without issues while other batteries have failed my friends. There is a reason almost every competitor is using them these days.
I've ran optimas for years, no problems. Especially red tops, just don't let them sit
Old 05-24-11, 04:48 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SinisterGS
I can get you a Optima Yellow or Red top battery for really cheap. The only problem would be shipping. Pm me
Where do you get them for cheap? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 05-24-11, 06:08 PM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

I had two red tops and moved onto a yellow top all within a few months.

Those both went bad with me, and I got rid of them for a regular old advance auto premium battery -- with like 3 year warranty. Has worked flawless for me for more than a year.

I'm running (1) 13w7, a 500/1 and a cap. No light problems, two sets of hids and led tails, and double din nav.

Alternator was replaced b/c of the optimas.
Old 05-25-11, 06:21 AM
Lexlthr
Pole Position

Currently running a Yellow Top.
Old 05-26-11, 10:55 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Any other suggestions besides optimas or kinetics? sSomething in between energizer and optimas? lol I prob wont be upgrading my audio later on so something that will just do the job.
Old 05-26-11, 07:33 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I am running Costco batteries in all my cars including my GS4. The oldest battery is definitely over five years probably six or maybe seven years old and it's still doing great. Bang for the buck they are amazing. I think the one for my GS4 was around $70.
Old 05-26-11, 07:36 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

The lowest Kinetik to start our GS would be the HC1400.

I think they go for about 190 ish shipped (to the US, not Canada).
And they have a fair bit of power to handle small audio builds.
Old 05-27-11, 12:05 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

I'm late on this one. As for me I use SVR. I have 5 batteries in my GS. 3000 platinum series. I had kinetic 1800's 5 of them. They were ok but after replacing my sub amp they couldn't keep up it would drop voltage to fast and the amp would cut out. Now with SVR no problem I also have 2 compressors for air ride. As a car audio competitor I gain 1 db from using 7 1800 kinetic batteries and changed to 6 3500 SVR. Another thing is not a good thing to mix battery sizes. Due to there difference in internal resistance They discharge and charge different. Not unless you use an isolate. In theory if you run the same size battires ie one front and one rear they should charge and dischage the same.
Old 05-27-11, 11:19 AM
ErseOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusK
Any other suggestions besides optimas or kinetics? sSomething in between energizer and optimas? lol I prob wont be upgrading my audio later on so something that will just do the job.
For the 2GS, I saw a Bosch at pepboys website with 675CCA/835CA - RESERVE MIN = 120 - OE CCA: 585 ..these numbers are shy of the yellow top Optima CCA/CA and this Bosch is only $90!

I opted for the yellow top for $199 from Advance Auto because of my small audio system.
Old 05-27-11, 07:14 PM
SoloKaMGS
Lead Lap

Optima Blue top for me.

Quick Reply: To all you battery OG's out there.