GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

who's done big 3 in the gs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 12:17 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's done big 3 in the gs?

im looking to do big 3 but i need to know how much 0 gauge i need.

i was planning on buying a spool but thats about 400 dollars on ebay.
WAAY too much $$

bout how much wire does it take to do the big three? help please? wana do ASAP!
Old 01-25-11, 12:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

LOTS of write ups on this bro. and no one can really say how much you can use, it all depends on how many grounds you want and where you locate them.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-25-11 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 07:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
LOTS of write ups on this bro. and no one can really say how much you can use, it all depends on how many grounds you want and where you locate them.
yup.....

this is like the 4th thread you have re-made that i even have made. SEARCH OP i did a DIY WITH pics in one of my threads.
Old 01-31-11, 11:53 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

sorry you guys. promised i searched. but i seriously got ****ty results. all my search results ere completely irrelivant to any of the words i even typed in. i do remember i had posted a thread about a year ago, but i never got a specific answer. i think jokster had said 20 something feet. but that seems like a **** load.

someone on car audio told me 8 feet would do it?

anyways, im buying a 14 foot run off of someone on ca.com and hopeuflly that wil be enough.

thanks for the link sakataj. that will help a good deal. my bad for kind of reposting what was already being talked about in my other thread, but i figured a hole new therad on just this specific topic would be more helpful for me and anyone else looking into it.

while we are on the subject of talking about power, i know we already had a similar talk a month ago or so on battery fitment and i looked up the thread to read up again on the kinetik's but i still have a couple of questions for you. i was satisfied with what we had talked about since i was only fitting an 1800 but now that im going to try and fit a 2000 or 2400 i really wana make sure it fits good. i see you made yours fit great. so let me know what you did to get that bad boy in! you said you removed stock battery tray (which is a must due to length) and the battery terminals you used were also crucial in fitment? your pics show a great fitment so i want to get a 2400 like that. let me know. thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-11, 01:15 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well again, it all depends on where you put your grounds and how many. The trip from the alternator alone is a good 4+ft, its recommended to run a ground from the battery to the mounting bolt of the alternator (another ~4ft) you're up to 8 ft now. then another from the block to the firewall ~3ft another ft or two for battery to chassis. I may have said 20 to be safe
Old 02-01-11, 01:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertoyou
sorry you guys. promised i searched. but i seriously got ****ty results. all my search results ere completely irrelivant to any of the words i even typed in. i do remember i had posted a thread about a year ago, but i never got a specific answer. i think jokster had said 20 something feet. but that seems like a **** load.

someone on car audio told me 8 feet would do it?

anyways, im buying a 14 foot run off of someone on ca.com and hopeuflly that wil be enough.

thanks for the link sakataj. that will help a good deal. my bad for kind of reposting what was already being talked about in my other thread, but i figured a hole new therad on just this specific topic would be more helpful for me and anyone else looking into it.

while we are on the subject of talking about power, i know we already had a similar talk a month ago or so on battery fitment and i looked up the thread to read up again on the kinetik's but i still have a couple of questions for you. i was satisfied with what we had talked about since i was only fitting an 1800 but now that im going to try and fit a 2000 or 2400 i really wana make sure it fits good. i see you made yours fit great. so let me know what you did to get that bad boy in! you said you removed stock battery tray (which is a must due to length) and the battery terminals you used were also crucial in fitment? your pics show a great fitment so i want to get a 2400 like that. let me know. thanks for the help.
i think u will need more than 20 feet....i GIVE the lengths to ALL but the positive battery to positive alternator in that link.

so im not sure what your asking, to fit the hc2400 just remove the battery tray. now you will need to make a battery mount but as of yet i havent made one although i should as a safety precaution
Old 02-01-11, 04:10 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

man i feel dumb because i dont' even know what this thread is about..
Old 02-01-11, 05:06 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
man i feel dumb because i dont' even know what this thread is about..

LoL. The Big Three is a way to help/upgrade your charging system. In short, by increasing wire size as well as adding more ground wires, it allows your car to utilize all the full potential of the the factory alternator and is a must when upgrading to a higher output alternator. The Big Three alone in many cases can help with dimming lights from high powered audio systems. All in all, bigger wire allows better flow of current from the alternator to the battery allowing it to charge not so much faster, but more efficiently, its like adding high octane fuel to your car . Adding grounds can also improve your idle. When it comes to conductance in a 12v system, theres no such thing as too many grounds

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 02-01-11 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-01-11, 06:56 AM
starfyrels
Account under Legal Action - Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering the same thing, where do we exactly place the grounds.

I've read up on chassis to alternator; chassis to tranny; chassis to engine; but can we just ground it directly to the battery? Also what else would It be beneficial for me to ground?

Sorry for being a total newb here.
Old 02-01-11, 09:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by starfyrels
I was wondering the same thing, where do we exactly place the grounds.

I've read up on chassis to alternator; chassis to tranny; chassis to engine; but can we just ground it directly to the battery? Also what else would It be beneficial for me to ground?

Sorry for being a total newb here.
this is so ridiculous lately.....i give a link with the info and the links in another thread that is STILL active and even then new people wont search. u could search OP's recent posts, my recent posts or just go to the advanced search and type in big 3 in the gs section and find it....
Old 02-01-11, 11:46 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wooosaaaaaaaa Brian wooooooosssssaaaaaaaa...
Old 02-01-11, 11:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Wooosaaaaaaaa Brian wooooooosssssaaaaaaaa...
HAHAHAHA im good now...u should see the post i made on my servo one... i think i went crazy for a minute
Old 02-01-11, 12:01 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
HAHAHAHA im good now...u should see the post i made on my servo one... i think i went crazy for a minute
I've read just about all of your DIY's.. Even if I don't attempt them.. I just find it cool to read about our cars and the DIY's for them.. Just in case you know?

So I saw your little set off in the servo motor one.. Def went a little crazy.
Old 02-01-11, 08:03 PM
wcgorillaz
Driver

Where do the grounds go again? Lol jk
Old 02-01-11, 09:31 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

okay but whats a ground?

jk

Quick Reply: who's done big 3 in the gs?