GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My New Car Trip: Chi-Town to Miami in Record SPEED...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-11, 11:09 AM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Car Trip: Chi-Town to Miami in Record SPEED...

I once again, have changed cars. I have had 4 cars within the last 2 years. When the lease of my Tahoe ended I bought a Lightning thinking that would be a great car for a daily driver, it was for about a year or so until my son wanted to ride in it and my daughter was born. Then I sold the Lighthing in favor of a Mustang GT thinking at least cary my son safer in the back seat, and while that did work better, my daughter was not fitting. Arrrrrrh! So i decided i had to sell it and be a family man. I didn't want to buy anything to expensive or finance anything, so I bought a Lexus GS, 4 doors, comfy, great on gas, smooth and my kids fit at the same time.
Now it will only stay looking like an old persons car for a short time, Coilovers are on order, wheels Im still debating. Anyways, on to the journey.

We left Miami Friday night 8:30 pm arrived in Chicago at 10:40 (Chicago time). We were picked up by the sales rep from the Lexus dealer which was great because I got off the plane in shorts, nevermind it was 9 degrees when we got to O'Hare. We stayed the night at a Motel 6 across the street from the dealer which was convenient. Walked to the dealer right around 9:30 am, checked out the car, test drove made sure everything was up to par. Paid for the car and were on our way. We spent the next 3-4 hours driving around Chi-Town taking in the sites and just exploring. Drove to Wrigley Field, Soldier Stadium, Navy Pier etc. But not before we had lunch at the Chicgao Pizza and Oven Grinder, which was amazing!!!!!
Right around 2:30 (Chicago time) we headed south.. we had a 1400 mile drive to get the car back home. We drove and drove and drove, my brother and I making shifts. All in all it took us 18 1/2 hours to drive from Chicago, to Miami. Map Quest said it would take 24 hours, my brother and I held an avg speed of 80.8 mph the whole way down. No tickets, no issues, no nothing, totally uneventful. If it wasn't for a few 5 hour energy drinks I would have been able to make it.

Anyways here are some pics of the journey and the car back home.

Old 01-24-11, 11:09 AM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Old 01-24-11, 11:31 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ill be seeing u around miami sir
Old 01-24-11, 11:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

what is that thing that looks like vomit?
Old 01-24-11, 11:45 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

^ I think it's sometype of food from the region. lol
Old 01-24-11, 11:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
^ I think it's sometype of food from the region. lol
TY captain obvious....i wanted to know what it was

looks like a calzone or a quiche
Old 01-24-11, 12:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I am surprised you bought a car in Chicago and you're in Florida? Don't people usually want to buy a car from the south because of the better climate and lack of salt on roads during winters?
Old 01-24-11, 12:19 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I am surprised you bought a car in Chicago and you're in Florida? Don't people usually want to buy a car from the south because of the better climate and lack of salt on roads during winters?
Normally yes, but I dont trust local dealers. Plus this car is beyond immaculate. less than 9k miles driven per year by an elderly couple. Car is spotless below, just a few nuts and bolts that are "rusty" but no issues at all. perfect car. Its like they never drove the car in the snow. Its so clean i was
Old 01-24-11, 12:20 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
what is that thing that looks like vomit?
its a Flat bread appetizer, with olive oils some kind of seasoning and parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. AMAZING!!!
Old 01-24-11, 12:28 PM
tardorange
Driver

Congrats. Must be enjoying the miami weather its 8 degrees outside here in NY. How did you like the cold :P?
Old 01-24-11, 12:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokeyGS
its a Flat bread appetizer, with olive oils some kind of seasoning and parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. AMAZING!!!
EVER notice all the things that look gross taste so good? is there even a plate under that thing? looks like your eating off the table which is ickkkkk

anyways nice pickup
Old 01-24-11, 12:49 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

maybe will see you at the meets down here
congrats on the gs!
Old 01-24-11, 12:50 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tardorange
Congrats. Must be enjoying the miami weather its 8 degrees outside here in NY. How did you like the cold :P?
I love the snow and the cold. Every Xmas we leave Miami for the Snow and the Slopes. Can only take the heat and humidity for so long.
Old 01-24-11, 12:51 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
EVER notice all the things that look gross taste so good? is there even a plate under that thing? looks like your eating off the table which is ickkkkk

anyways nice pickup
oh yeah, when they brought it out my brother and I look at each other like WTF is this.. and then we tried it.. amazing.. There was a plate under it, put still it did drape on to the table.... your right, eeek but hadnt thought about that till you said something.
Old 01-24-11, 12:52 PM
SmokeyGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Anthony
maybe will see you at the meets down here
congrats on the gs!
No doubt, I always enjoyed the hang outs and the meets. Now i will bring my 2 year old sidekick with me.

Quick Reply: My New Car Trip: Chi-Town to Miami in Record SPEED...