GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Getting owned by a used car dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 03:01 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting owned by a used car dealer.

For the tl;dr crowd, have you ever needed your driveshaft replaced? If so, did you do it? More importantly, for those who haven't... Would you do it? $1200-ish repair, I am told.

Last December, I traded in my 1996 Volvo 960 wagon (177K miles) to a used car dealer for a 2004 Lexus GS300. While I loved my Volvo wagon very much, 3 consecutive winters in Ithaca, NY, and the accompanying salt-n-snow mix basically turned the bottom orange. So upon going to the used car dealer, I did what you're not supposed to do - fall in love with the car. It had 66000 miles on it, the Lexus did

One year later, my car makes this on-off groaning noise when going from P to R to D and back again. Two different shops (Toyota dealer, indepedent mechanic - there is no Lexus dealer anywhere close to Tallahassee) tell me to alleviate the noise, I have to replace the drive shaft. The shop mechanic told me that when they put the car up on the rails, they can duplicate the noise, and it's coming from the joint in the drive shaft. Everything else - all other bearings and connections, including the differential - are said to be whisper quiet.

So what would you do? I'm at a loss. I just dumped in a bunch money to get the axle replaced (thanks, Toyota dealership ) and just had the ball joints and front control arms replaced (separate issue). I love the way the car drives. I love everything else about the car. The noise is driving me nuts. It's also depressing. Should I admit defeat?
Old 12-14-10, 03:08 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Why cant you just replace the U-Joint? probably like a $40 part or something
Old 12-14-10, 03:15 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

Mechanic insists that the U-joint is fine. He said the noise is coming right where the two parts of the drive shaft come together.

...which now, that I think about it... isn't that just a glorified u-joint?
Old 12-14-10, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

could be the part that is actually part of the drive shaft (which connects to u-joint)... I say find a used drive shaft and call it a day. The shaft is just a solid 'bar' (if you would) so I don't see why used would be a problem. I'm just shocked that such a new car has a drive shaft problem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-05...Q5fAccessories

$90 bucks and its yours $1200 seems so steep! I'm sure its for a brand new one which probably costs $1000 for it
Old 12-14-10, 04:04 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

But yes, me too, I am shocked that the car is having drive shaft problems. Here's the deal with the car. It's not always, but when I shift from P to R, for example, while holding the brakes, it will make the groaning noise. The back will rise a little bit. When I go from R to D, the back of the car drops a little bit along with the groan. If I don't put pressure on the brakes, and shift from N to D (assuming the car is on a flat surface), there is no noise, but there is an accompanying drop in the rear of the car.

Part of me wants them to check the engine mounts and the brakes themselves for misalignment.
Old 12-14-10, 04:13 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

record a video n post.
Old 12-14-10, 04:17 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

All right. I'll try to take care of that in the daylight tomorrow.
Old 12-14-10, 04:19 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise from the trans is normal when doing what you are doing. I've never seen a drive shaft replaced for what you are talking about. Call Lexus corp, ask for goodwill consideration. Base on your post, an 04 with 66000 miles, the vehicle should still be close to or under power train warranty, under which a drive shaft would be covered.

Good luck, and use your best judgement. If you do allow the dealer to replace it, then you better stand on them if the noise does not go away. Which I doubt it will.

PM me your VIN ASAP, Im at work Ill run it and tell you if its under warranty.
Old 12-14-10, 04:23 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

It currently has 75K mi. on it. The shift is the only problem. The driving, otherwise, is just fine. Spectacular, even.
Old 12-14-10, 05:00 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that SC 300/400 had a driveshaft issue as they got up their in miles (100k +) but those were more of howling noise. I've never heard of this on a GS.

I would look for a used driveshaft first since two sources say you need one.
Old 12-14-10, 05:31 PM
Bradwillia
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly why you never buy a car this old at a dealer of any sort. Mileage isn't always a guarantee. You can find a car that has never missed a service with 120k on it and it will be a way better car than the one you bought with 60k on it. You always want to see where the car has been and there is no better way than to be standing face to face with the ACTUAL owner. Next time buy private party.
Old 12-14-10, 09:57 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

Yes. Consider this lesson learned. Carfax came back as a pretty regularly-serviced vehicle. Alas.
Old 12-14-10, 10:05 PM
Inverness
Driver School Candidate

If you want the whole of the story, actually, I drove back from Tallahassee to Jersey (where I'm originally from) to get the car. There was not a used second gen GS 300 - honestly, one of the best bang-for-buck deals you can get out there - within 300 miles. The closest ones were in Miami. The used car dealer agreed to give me $1000 for my rusted bucket of Volvo bolts and that salted away the deal for this GS. The kicker, I suppose, is that there was another 2004 in the area that had 48K miles, gold trim, spoiler... but he wanted $2K more and that still would have left me with the Volvo rust bucket.

And so... lesson learned. Although a $90 drive shaft sure is more appealing than a $1200 one.

Also, the closest Lexus dealer? That'd be Orlando or Tampa - both 4 hours away from here.
Old 12-14-10, 10:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Inverness
Also, the closest Lexus dealer? That'd be Orlando or Tampa - both 4 hours away from here.
Isn't Jacksonville less than 3 hours from you? There is a dealer there, too. Not saying you should go that route, but if you get any accommodation from Lexus under the powertrain warranty, that may be your best bet.

And bradwillia, you cannot use a blanket statement like buying private party will always be better. I've gone to look at cars with friends before who were looking at private party cars, and one I started asking questions about vehicle histories and service there were several times we high tailed it out of there. I'm not saying it the other way, either - there are plenty of good PP sales that happen every day, but it's just not 100% of the time in either case.

Big Mack
Old 12-15-10, 04:55 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your strapped for cash try bolting in a used driveshaft too...Check for guys parting or cars in your local salvage yards...

Quick Reply: Getting owned by a used car dealer.