GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Were they trying to pull a fast one on me and rip me off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 10:56 PM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Were they trying to pull a fast one on me and rip me off?

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2003 GS430. I replaced my lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, stock struts with oem parts and Tanabe NF210s [1.2" front and .8 rear]. I went to a local Goodyear tire/autocare center to do an alignment because they had a $20 coupon off for their 4 wheel alignment with the hunter machine but I was told that they have to charge me an extra $45 on top of the regular $69.99 for a regular 4 wheel alignment because they said the Lexus is a specialized high end vehicle and a lot of work needed to be done. He than proceeded to say I may also need a camber kit or additional parts if something is broken or wrong. They stated that they cannot make that determination until they start the alignment and I would have to pay for parts and labor. He told me everything would came out to total of $125 and that is not including the camber kit/parts/labor, etc if they were needed. He showed me the sheet with my current alignment specs it shows the in the front - one side was 62 and other side was 26. Thats all I remembered. He also mentioned the rears were off too but I forgot the numbers. Does this make any sense at all or does it sound like I was trying to get ripped off? It didnt feel right to me and felt like some type of bait and switch. They wanted to charge my $29.95 because they put it up on the machine to get current alignment specs/numbers. They finally waived the charge after I made a scene and had a long conversation with the manager. I decided to leave and not get it done. Can you me more information on alignments for the GS430. Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Old 12-08-10, 10:59 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

that is bs. with that minor of a lowering you should not be that far out of spec. go somewhere else for sure.
Old 12-08-10, 11:04 PM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
that is bs. with that minor of a lowering you should not be that far out of spec. go somewhere else for sure.

Isnt the price of an alignment the same regardless if it is only a little or alot out of spec? The only difference in my opinion would be that they would just have to spend a little more extra time on my car compare to others.

They also claim that other alignment shops in that local area only do one of the adjustments and they do not do all the work like they would such as toe, caster, camber, etc. I thought every alignment shop has to adjust everything to get your car back into spec?

Last edited by Blk03GS430; 12-09-10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 11:07 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

bullllllllllllllllllllllls&*t, any decent shop should be able to preform these tasks. they just sound shady to talk trash on other shops?
Old 12-08-10, 11:17 PM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
bullllllllllllllllllllllls&*t, any decent shop should be able to preform these tasks. they just sound shady to talk trash on other shops?
I guess I should have noticed that when I called the other shop [Alignment World] that they were talking trash about. I asked them why I should to them instead of the Goodyear place and the only thing the guy on the phone said is that we have been in business for 21years here and Goodyear place has only been in business for 3-4years. Thats all he said, no trash talking compare to the good year place.

I guess another clue is that those Goodyear shops have Sales Manager that are trying to sell you extra stuff. They also keep saying we are trying to help you and we are being honest with you. Its a lot of work for our mechanic to bring your car back in spec.

I gotta check my car in the morning to make sure they didnt do anything behind my back to my car since I decided not to do any work with them and they waived the $29.95 diagnostic/rip off fee with resistance. I dont know how shady people work and they may snip a wire or line or break something on purpose to get back at you for not doing business with them. No warning lights came on on my drive hone and I should have checked it before I left but it was very dark and I just wanted to leave. I dont trust anybody with my car. I hope everything is ok and the same as when I brought it into their shop. I dont wanna go crazy on them if they messed with my ride because I will.

Last edited by Blk03GS430; 12-08-10 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 11:45 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shady business for sure, sometimes you get ****** like that. take it to another shop for sure
Old 12-09-10, 12:00 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha.. that's the biggest BS I've ever heard. The GS suspension is pretty simple to do an alignment if you ask me. Take it to firestone and get their lifetime alignment and come back every few months if you will. If you need specs, let me know and I'll give it to you.
Old 12-09-10, 12:19 AM
Blk03GS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Haha.. that's the biggest BS I've ever heard. The GS suspension is pretty simple to do an alignment if you ask me. Take it to firestone and get their lifetime alignment and come back every few months if you will. If you need specs, let me know and I'll give it to you.
I thinking about either to go to the Alignment World and spend $69.99 on 1x alignment or go to Firestone and spend $150 for their lifetime alignment. I drive less than 5k miles a year. I replaced my lower ball joints, outer tie rods, springs and struts. I do not need to do any more work on my vehicle that would require me to get another alignment. Im not sure what I should do?
Old 12-09-10, 02:01 AM
Greenspeed
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
Sorry to hijack post.

If you don't mind, can you PM me the specs? I suspect my alignment isn't spec correctly.

Thanks
Old 12-09-10, 06:00 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk03GS430
I thinking about either to go to the Alignment World and spend $69.99 on 1x alignment or go to Firestone and spend $150 for their lifetime alignment. I drive less than 5k miles a year. I replaced my lower ball joints, outer tie rods, springs and struts. I do not need to do any more work on my vehicle that would require me to get another alignment. Im not sure what I should do?
Just go to Firestone and get their Lifetime Alignment. Call it a day.
Old 12-09-10, 06:42 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how about post the info on the goodyear store to help other members in your area not to get ripped off? name address location? a/s/l
Old 12-09-10, 06:56 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

man dont go to ANY good year service center.. those *****s do nothing but try to scam you to say this and that is broken.. I have had 1st hand experience with this. I go in for a regular oil change and 4 wheels alignment. They told me my oil pan plug is broken (have to buy a new one) wheels alignment 10 extra they said ( they didnt say 10 per tire). it was long ago but in alll i ended up paying over 200 for some BS on what was supposed to be something under 100 bux. BTW i didnt have my lexus then it was just a chrysler..... DONT TRUST GOOD YEAR!!! SCREW THEM!
Old 12-09-10, 06:57 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
how about post the info on the goodyear store to help other members in your area not to get ripped off? name address location? a/s/l
+1 my friend installed NF210 springs on his 2004 Sport Design and he did not need any camber kits. I was LoLin at what they were trying to recommend for you. I've seen my friend install the springs and align it himself on the hunter machines. It wasn't off that much at all. I'm not sure how advance a lexus can be but it usually takes my friend 30min - 60min to align one!!!!!
Old 12-09-10, 07:04 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I have the Firestone Lifetime Alignment Plan and they tried to charge me an extra $20 saying the same thing as Goodyear. After I had a little argument and spoke to the manager about it, they waived it. I think it's just a easy way for them to get more money out of you, there is nothing "specialized" about our cars suspension system.
Old 12-09-10, 07:28 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I would find a specialty alignment shop that does not do anything else but alignments.. There are two in my town and they stay slammed, most of the local collision centers send their cars there after they are repaired. Most chains will try to rip you off.

And if you just ask for an alignment alot of crappy shops just make sure the steering wheel is straight and set the toe. They want to get the car in and out fast. You need to be specific as to what you want done. Caster is a bit more involved and is what most cheap places skip.

The GS suspension is pretty simple to do an alignment if you ask me.
Yeah, all the cam bolt's are on the bottom arms, and the there is plenty of clearance for the toe arms. Compared to other vehicles that have the adjustment cams either on the upper balljoint mount or upper control arm frame mounts that are tough to get to going in thru the bottom with the wheel still on.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 12-09-10 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Were they trying to pull a fast one on me and rip me off?