GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Torque Wrench and Jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 08:24 PM
dl11
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Wrench and Jackstands

So, I'm thinking about putting out the money and just dumping into a nice torque wrench and a set of jack stands, a jack, and other tools. If I do, I'll probably only be working on oil change, brakes, suspension(steering rack bushing/maybe putting in a new sway bar), and maybe anything else that isn't too difficult.

I was looking at used Snap Ons on Ebay and a new GearWrench digital 1/2'' and a more expensive version which can work at different angles. Of course, I'd be willing to spend it on something cheaper like Craftsman. So, with what I intend to do with the torque wrench, do I need a pricey one? Seems like suspension and brakes are all in the 20-100 ft/lbs range and doesn't require the high precision high torque that goes from 20-250 ft/lbs.

Also, what brand should I get for jackstands? I was thinking of going over board and getting the 6 ton Harbor Freight jackstands but seems like people don't really trust Harbor Freight in general.
Old 09-21-10, 08:34 PM
onekoop
Rookie

+1 on DIYs

To me I always get craftsman tools, just cause its local and i can always get replaced if it breaks. For as jack stands, I have some called "big red" that I bought cheap at Northern Tools. They get the job done.
Old 09-21-10, 08:53 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

jackstands are jackstands IMO. only thing is load rating, but 2 tons is usually enough. A nice craftsman jack can be bought, but i like my harbor freight one just as much.
Old 09-21-10, 09:06 PM
BrentGS
Pole Position

I got some jack stands and a jack from advanced auto parts like 5 years ago and they have never let me down. Used em hundreds of times im sure
Old 09-21-10, 09:15 PM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

craftsman has lifetime warranty on most of their stuff. not sure about jack stands and jacks though. their torque wrenches should fall under it though.
Old 09-21-10, 09:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Craftsman torque wrench do not have lifetime warranty. They're limited to 90 days. All non-mechanical hand tools such as sockets and screwdrivers carry the lifetime warranty. Their ratchets are the only mechanical tool that falls under lifetime.

If you're just doing suspension, then a regular Craftsman torque wrench will be fine. No need to spend excessive amount on the Snap On. It's not that much more accurate either. I would go for a 1/2" that exceeds at least 150ftlb. There are a few nuts and bolts on our cars that will need to go higher than 100ftlb.
Old 09-21-10, 09:30 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by dl11
Also, what brand should I get for jackstands? I was thinking of going over board and getting the 6 ton Harbor Freight jackstands but seems like people don't really trust Harbor Freight in general.
2nd for the Craftsman TW. I'd also say that you can get a great set of jackstands along with a racing style jack from Sears for not a whole lot of scratch on sale. You can get an extra set of stands for $20, too.

I'd also recommend that if you want to do basic services like what you mentioned, it might be worthwhile getting a compressor and an impact wrench. Great investments when doing any kind of brake jobs, wheels, etc. Keep in mind - you use the impact to take things off, NOT put them on. That's what a torque wrench is for.

Big Mack
Old 09-21-10, 09:33 PM
sjlexus408
Driver

for general tools i'd go with craftsman if youre working from home because if you buy snap on,mac or matco its gonna be a hassle to trade your broken tool in for a new one since they only go around auto shops and dealerships. jack stand you can get any brand. for jacks i would go with hein werner they are one of the best.
Old 09-21-10, 09:37 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

When choosing torque wrenches, consider the expected range that you will need. All torque wrenches have accuracy expressed as % FS, FS being Full Scale. So, if you buy a 50 ft-lbs torque wrench that is accurate to 3% FS, it can have an error of as high as 1.5 ft-lbf (not bad). But, buy a 250 ft-lbf torque wrench with the same 3% FS accuracy, and its error can be as high as 7.5 ft-lbf - not bad if you are applying the 250 ft-lbf, but pretty sad if you are trying to torque something to 25 ft-lbf.

You can rarely get by with one torque wrench if you want accuracy and have a wide range of bolts to tighten, from 30 ft-lbf caliper bolts to ~200 ft-lbf crankshaft bolts or hub nuts. I ended up buying a few CDI (division of Snap-on) torque wrenches, one from 15 to 75 ft-lbf, the other from 50 to 250 ft-lbf. I also have an in-lbf wrench for the lower values. That covers the range pretty well. Remember, you do not want to be using a 250 ft-lbf wrench to accurately torque bolts to 50 ft-lbf.
Old 09-22-10, 07:55 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harbor freight tools FTW!

The sell quality tools, offer warranty, have local stores, and they have great prices!
Old 09-22-10, 03:08 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No Craftsman..I repeat NO CRAFTSMAN for the TW. Spend the $$ and get a Snap-ON...that baby is the jewel of my tool box. I went thru 2 craftsman TW's before I saw the light. Found a used Snap-On that has never let me down. I use the broken craftsman as my new breaker bar..lol
Old 09-22-10, 03:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Which craftsman did you get that broke on you? I have a few and they work flawlessly, but then again, they look years newer than they really are because I'm **** about keeping my tools in good condition
Old 09-22-10, 07:11 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
No Craftsman..I repeat NO CRAFTSMAN for the TW. Spend the $$ and get a Snap-ON...that baby is the jewel of my tool box. I went thru 2 craftsman TW's before I saw the light. Found a used Snap-On that has never let me down. I use the broken craftsman as my new breaker bar..lol
Why not craftsman? I have there tools and have built countless cars and motors with it. I only use Matco or Snap-On for specialty tools that I can't get through craftsman. As far as torque wrench goes, all of them will break. Its all about care and maintenance. I've had my 3/8" and 1/2" craftsman Torque wrench of over ten years now and recently just sent them off to be re-calibrated.. Came back just as new.
Old 09-23-10, 08:21 PM
dl11
Driver

Haha, thanks a lot for the input. I'm starting to see the same outcome of most of the other threads I've read. People start out saying Craftsman is good but, it's usually for people who have the older product and keep it well maintained. Then, some say do it once and do it right, with Snap On.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions. Yeah, I want to go with reliable jack stands because though some brands have lifetime warranty, if the car comes down on me it doesn't matter.

GSteg, that's what I'm interested in, the general torque range I'll be working in.

Big Mac, at the very least, I'm getting a breaker bar. I'm not big so it will be useful.

Lyonkster, yeah I'm probably going to get a lower value one now. I hear that torque wrenches are best in the middle range.
Old 09-23-10, 09:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The thing is you're working on suspension. It's not as critical to get the torque spec exactly what the manual requires. A Snap On may sometimes be more accurate, but a pound or two difference when tightening the lower shock bolt isn't going to make it or break it. A Craftsman wrench (ie. Digitork) will do 90% of the job perfectly fine.

Now if you're rebuilding the engine, that's a different story, but even then the higher end Craftsman will do the job. The one such as the digital wrench that's similar looking to the Snap On are calibrated the same since CDI makes both the Snap On and Craftsman. One thing you do get with Snap On is resale value. I have a Cornwell digital wrench and a Snap On that are identical except in color. I sold the Snap On to some sucker who paid top dollar for the name while I bought the Cornwell at such a low price. I win in the end

Don't listen to those who say Craftsman are crappy while Snap On is better because chances are, they are in it for the name. I pitted my Digitork against me Snap On and Cornwell and they are all less than 1ft-lb of each other in the midrange. However my Craftsman only goes up to 80 while the Snap On and Cornwell goes to 100.